Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What's better:Defense or Offense?

Go down 
+12
KD35
No Longer DEAD
Fox News
Saeed
Chosen One
BNB
Janet
Tar Heel
Nick C
brownie13
Darko
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

....?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:09 am

A prolific scorer to a lockdown defender. I would rather take the former.

Allen Iverson will carry a franchise
Dirk Nowitski will carry a franchise.
Steve Nash will carry a franchise.

Yet these players play little to no defense.

Ben Wallace will not carry nothing.
Shane Battier is a role player.
Bruce Bowen is a role player.

A prolific scorer affects a game more than a great defender. That's why I'm a huge Gerald Wallace fan. The guy can defend and score.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:20 am

You can't score on offense, and it turns up again to help out your Defense. It can go the other way, though.

Lets try not comparing Megastars to Role Players here.

Hakeem Olajuwon to Patrick Ewing.
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:25 am

Defensive Beast Mode wrote:
You can't score on offense, and it turns up again to help out your Defense. It can go the other way, though.

Lets try not comparing Megastars to Role Players here.

Hakeem Olajuwon to Patrick Ewing.

But why are they megastars in the first place SK? Because of their OFFENSE. I can't even name one player for a long long time who made the All-Star game
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:25 am

* because of their defense.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:30 am

But without their defense they wouldn't be good in the first place.

Jordan.
1 DPOY
9 All Defense First Team
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 am

Ben Wallace khai!! 5 time all-star......
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:32 am

Jordan.
1 DPOY
9 All Defense First Team

...so you're saying that if MJ didn't play defense, he would be a garbage player? That's the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard...

And OK, Ben Wallace is good but he hasn't been to the ASG for a while.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:31 am

Yeah, because he plays like shit on BOTH sides today.

Top Defense/Above Average Offense
Above Average Defense/Top Offense

Which would you take?

Actually, this arguement is useless. Defense is harder than offense. Both are more important, I was wrong that whole time. But what's more important than both of those is hustling. Smile There.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:51 am

Khai (DriveMyGerman) wrote:

Jordan.
1 DPOY
9 All Defense First Team

...so you're saying that if MJ didn't play defense, he would be a garbage player? That's the biggest piece of shit I've ever heard...

And OK, Ben Wallace is good but he hasn't been to the ASG for a while.

Agreed, Goerge gervin wouldn't know defense if i anal fucked him, But he's a HOFer!
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 am

No. I can stop you (at the time you were my age), easily.

Your in over your head, When i was yyour age I would completely humiliate you.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:58 am

Defense is a much harder task to accomplish than offense, which annoys me when people brag about 20 PPG or a 30 point game, or if they make a few threes in a row.

Offensively, yuo could be a good shooter and know how to play, and you could score however much you like.
Defensively, you have to be tough, determined, agile, mobile, hustling, and most of all, you have to know what you are doing, and that's confusing.

Yeah, I bet you didn't pay attention when your coach tells you about shifting zone defense or help man to man defense, am I right?

I'm the only one that listens.
Everyone else is worried about running some damn suicides.
I like suicides, the feeling you get when you know you're getting better.
It might be because I'm first every time, though Razz

Defensive players won't get noticed if you want to play at a different level, And you think your defending these "beastly PG's" when in reality these guys are probably "shitty PG's" that seem beastly in whatever "shitty league" you play in. Not to offend your defensive abilities or whatever but your hyping yourself.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 11:13 am

you need a balance of both

Ill say 60% defense,and 40% offense

There are players like a Kobe Bryant,Dwyane Wade,Lebron James,Michael Jordan,Larry Bird that you can't stop no matter how good your defense is but you can slow down.

Certain players are going to score baskets no matter who's defending them and how great their defense is.

You do need defense though. As touched on before defense creates steals and opportunities at easy baskets etc. If you have a lead late in the game its good defense thats gets the job done and wins.

If your team cannot get a key stop when they need it its going to be really difficult to win.

2004 Pistons were a prime example of a Championship team with not alot of high scoring Superstars but played incredible defense and won in incredibly ugly fashion many games.

The Pistons D allowed them to get back in games simply because teams could'nt score on them and they were able to frustrate opponents
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:54 pm

I agree about balance, but i would say 70%offense 30% defense, Thats how the great legendary teams of the 80's,90's were constructed..
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:07 pm

I agree with KONJ and Visa. Both are important, but more offense is needed. 60/40 or 70/30 seems about right

You can't win if you can't score
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 pm

I have both equal 50/50

You need defense as individual to stop/slow down someone and put him on a bad night and then have good offense to crush him in offense.That's it

Defenders are more appreacated since defense wins championships but there were ordered players who couldn't be stopped

For me,my individual perimeter defense and shot blocking skills are that much great as my shooting and passing skills,rebounding skills as well....
Back to top Go down
Koolish
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Koolish

Female Posts : 2765

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 5:31 pm

Chosen One wrote:
Offense.....

I like defense but when u play a game most people look at it as whoever scores the most points,they dont look at it like whoever allows the least points

Both are important but if u have a team of the best offensive players and the worst defenders and a team of the best defenders and the worst offensive players who would win?

Hmmm, nice. I do agree with the fact that people do look at who scores the most. If your saying which one is better to watch, I would say offense. If your talking about which one is more IMPORTANT, then I would say BOTH. Look at it this way, You can be excellent at defense and get the ball but when you get to offense and you suck at offense then how would you score and try to win. I would say you need to be good in both defense and offense.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Both are important
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 6:03 pm

If you're all offense and no defense:
You can score 250 points in a game. But when you're allowing 251 points a game, then you won't be successful.

If you're all defense and no offense:
Good job, you're limiting your opponent to around 60 ppg. But when you can only score 25 a game as a team, what's the point?
Back to top Go down
EM:)
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
EM:)

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 6:31 pm

VISA every player in the NBA can be stopped on any given night.

Defense is more important, but that doesn't mean that a uptempo Eurocentric offensive team can't win a championships. Look at D'Antoni's Suns. Yes they lost to the defensively oriented Spurs, but they could have won championships and were close. Luck played a part in it as well they weren't lucky enough. I mean Dallas beat them in the WCF and that was the season Phoenix made it to the WCF w/o Amar'e for the season. Dallas wasn't a tough-nosed defensive team at all, but they won. Phoenix could have won in any one of those years.

As, for the Knicks when they get and it will be when not if they get the players they want come 2010 off-season. The offense would be in full force and more likely would resemble what Mike D had in Phoenix. In the East offense could prevail and head to the Finals and maybe win it. Let's not write off the fact that Mike D's system can't win a championship. That is what I love about Mike D is that he stays true to his philosophy despite the critics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's better:Defense or Offense?   What's better:Defense or Offense? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's better:Defense or Offense?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2