Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Knicks & Celtics series....

Go down 
+3
brownie13
wallshingtonwizard
EM:)
7 posters
AuthorMessage
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

Knicks & Celtics series.... Empty
PostSubject: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 pm

The last game of the season for both teams are against each other too which is pretty funny. Although I doubt that either team would use their starters all that much, if not at all.

Anyways I grew up watching Ewing in his prime but Ewing before his prime just entering the NBA was sadly before my time. Doesn't this series against BOS have parallels to the 1987 series between NY & BOS or what?

- The up & coming Ewing leads an inexperienced bunch of Knicks back to the playoffs for the first time in a while since the 80's was an era where Knicks were plagued with all the injuries Bernard King sustained. This year Stat and Melo lead the Knicks back into the playoffs after a decade long absence and off-court controversies.

- Larry Bird & the Celtics were a rugged playoff tested team & Pierce, KG, Allen, & Rondo's Celtics are also a playoff tested team with championship credentials.

- Ewing had the series of his life for such a young player but the Knicks fell short. Hopefully, that's not the case in the present day Stat and Melo are not before their primes they are in their primes and this isn't their first playoff series like it was for Ewing...

After Ewing & the Knicks lost that series in the offseason we brought in Charles Oakley to domineer the paint with Ewing and the rest was history. The Knicks became a juggernaut and Boston's veteran team fell into oblivion for most of the 90's. In fact 1990 Knicks re-payed the favor and beat BOS in the playoffs. Win or lose this off-season I see us getting a big man presence down low like how we did to get Oakley when it looked like the Knicks were on the rise.

By the looks of it, it's looking like a rivalry again. Paul Pierce bowing down @ center-court in front of the MSG crowd, Jeffries takes a shot to Ray Ray's head requiring Ray Ray to get 7 stitches, etc. Knicks outplayed BOS in each and every game this season so far and had BOS reeling and at the brink of defeat. The problem is that they've outperformed us in the clutch and we've given up the winnable games. Hope that changes in the playoffs

Last edited by EM: Godfather Don Walsh on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Knicks Celtics
Jets Pats
Yankees Red Sox
Rangers Bruins

Rivalries never die. I wish the NBA was still on NBC instead of ESPN or TNT so we can see this series.
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Yep it would be better NBC rocked haha
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 7:46 pm

I wouldn't call it a rivalry yet...but it could develop into one. Problem is New York is much younger and Boston may enter a rebuilding phase after this season or next. Who knows if both teams will even face each other in the playoffs again. They are division rivals, but New York has been bad for so long any bad blood that existed has faded away. It'll have to be built back up.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Sorry. I don't get the parallel.

Or rivalry.

I think it'll be an intense series because that how Boston makes you play in the playoffs.

But the comparison between now and '87 is only in team names.
Back to top Go down
Quality
College Baller
College Baller
Quality

Male Posts : 87

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 11:02 am

I'm looking forward to this series the most. I enjoy watching both those teams play.
Back to top Go down
http://www.onthehum.blogspot.com/
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 12:16 pm

I believe that rivalries live through fans. As long as the fans of the teams involved hate each other and believe it's a rivalry.. then it's a rivalry. Even if it's one sided most of the time.

For example, I am a Bears/bulls fan... obviously. when Favre was playing with GB, he tore the Bears apart ALL the time. The packers were making the playoffs year after year while the Bears were making the playoffs like once every 4 years. To a football fan who wasn't a bears or packers fan, watching the bears and packers play was kinda boring cuz you knew who was gonna win and the rivalry didn't seem as intense. But to bears and packers fans, those were huge/intense games. Same with the pistons and bulls this past decade... the pistons were at the ECF year after year while the bulls sucked... but every time we played the pistons, we got into it.. and it'll always be that way for bulls/pistons fans.

so if people in NY/BOS really feel like this is a rivalry.. then it doesn't really matter what other people think because the hate is still there.

Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 5:47 pm

It's not a rivalry...outside of New York and Boston
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knicks & Celtics series....   Knicks & Celtics series.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Knicks & Celtics series....
Page 1 of 1