Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?

Go down 
+2
Nick C
John14
6 posters
AuthorMessage
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

Male Posts : 3251

Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? Empty
PostSubject: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 12:54 am

Some team do that quite often.
Lebron dnp in many games.

The fans pay there money buy tickets to see there favorte players..but they arent even playing.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am

It usually only happens when a team has room to drop games because it secured the best record or doesn't have a chance to drop or rise in the standings.

It only happens with like 2 to 3 games to go. That's not really tanking.

Really only the Bulls, Magic and Spurs could rest it's players. Orlando is pretty much stuck in that 4th seed. Same with Indiana at 8th.

Right now teams like the Lakers, Mavericks, Heat, Celtics, Thunder could flip top spots between each other respectively and the under 50 win teams can still fight for positioning. So there is still 12 of the 16 teams that could shift in the standings.

Personally I don't care. I never buy end of the season tickets anyway.
Back to top Go down
SO6P [KING]
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
SO6P [KING]

Male Posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:27 am

Nick C wrote:
It usually only happens when a team has room to drop games because it secured the best record or doesn't have a chance to drop or rise in the standings.

It only happens with like 2 to 3 games to go. That's not really tanking.

Really only the Bulls, Magic and Spurs could rest it's players. Orlando is pretty much stuck in that 4th seed. Same with Indiana at 8th.

Right now teams like the Lakers, Mavericks, Heat, Celtics, Thunder could flip top spots between each other respectively and the under 50 win teams can still fight for positioning. So there is still 12 of the 16 teams that could shift in the standings.

Personally I don't care. I never buy end of the season tickets anyway.

+1
Back to top Go down
EM:)
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
EM:)

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:46 am

If that's what the Atlanta Hawks be doing damn them. NY can still catch ATL. But I want no part of Dwight Howard and Orlando. I'd take my chances with either BOS or MIA. Cmon and win games ATL but I don't think ATL purposefully losing games. ATL v MIA/BOS wouldn't bode well. ATL v ORL, ATL are underdogs but have had some success v. Orlando. they are 3-1
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:58 am

It's not tanking..tanking is losing games intentionally, and playoff-bound teams rarely ever tank. It's teams whose seasons are done and they're trying to get lottery positions.

Do you think the players starting in place of the real starters aren't busting their asses to try to get a bigger role for the playoffs or next season in the time that they get?

And Lebron has played 77 games this season, missing only two because of injury..so I don't know where you're seeing all these DNP
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

Male Posts : 3251

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Raza wrote:
It's not tanking..tanking is losing games intentionally, and playoff-bound teams rarely ever tank. It's teams whose seasons are done and they're trying to get lottery positions.

Do you think the players starting in place of the real starters aren't busting their asses to try to get a bigger role for the playoffs or next season in the time that they get?

And Lebron has played 77 games this season, missing only two because of injury..so I don't know where you're seeing all these DNP

Last year before the playoff.

He didnt have an injury..but he played 76 games.

And i remember tryng to check the scorre and than noticing he was not playing.

In the quicken loans arena..but the fans are there to see him.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 3:04 pm

well last year before the playoffs, LBJ said he did have an injury. A minor one, but why play and risk making it worse?

Even if he was faking an injury, the cavs had the #1 seed locked up... Yeah I'm sure the people that bought tickets would have wanted to see him play, but at the same time, they're cavs fans and just want their team to be healthy for the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?   Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should NBA tank games to rest players for the playoffs?
Page 1 of 1