Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?

Go down 
+4
Chris
brownie13
cbi
Saeed
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? Empty
PostSubject: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 pm

i.e. Lakers/Magic/Thunder or Heat/Celtics?

What would you rather do: Have a shitload of cap or good trading value and get superstars (Both Big 3's), or start from simply a phenomenon (spelling?) (Dwight, Kobe, Durant) and build around that?
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:06 pm

If you have the right players to trade, and are willing to pay when you go over the luxery cap then 9 out of 10 times I would choose big contract players. developing a team takes time. durant and dwights team havent won it all yet. when shaq got traded, it took a long time for kobe's team to win. it took 1 year for the celtics to win. the heat are the favorites to win this year.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:16 pm

But big contract players are risks. If they don't work immediately they aren't going to work any better.

But for example, Dwight and Durant are making their teams from the beginning of their primes and unless they decide to be shitheads, they'll be doing it until they're out of the league. That's what gives you time to try out new rosters/supporting casts/coaches to build around them as you know they're above all but a few of NBA players.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Wouldn't everybody prefer to build around someone that started in their organization? That's not always how it works out, but it sure is the most fan-appreciated way. You grow to like that star player, and then see that after a lot of time not winning the title, they finally win one with a team built around them, with them, for them.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Yeah, like with Durant/Dwight the Thunder/Magic will have so many years where these two players are at the top of the league that they can build around.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:20 pm

How would they not work any better.... the heat for example, if they dont win this year.. have 5 more oppurtunites, with a chance to get late steals in the drafts.

And Dwight and Durant are gonna have trouble winning being the sole true superstars on their teams when teams are starting to build big contract super teams.

really, unless you get a really bad injury from one of those superstar free agents you signed or traded for, making a super team is gonna win out over developing your players these days.
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:20 pm

If i had the chance to improve in just one off-season like Heat, Celtics etc i would pick Big Contracts.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Eh, the Big 3 in Miami, if they don't win one in the first few years one or two of them is bound to leave.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:23 pm

they're all under contract for like 6 years, with a chance to have maybe a threepeat even if they dont win the first three years.. why would they leave? makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 pm

I guess my point was proven wrong :/

Wait.. wtf 6 years?!

lol i hope they end up hating eachother and go throught six years of hell.

Okay so...

Kobe-Durant-Dwight vs Wade-LeBron-Bosh!? 3 on 3!?
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Wade-LeBron-Bosh

Since you got Wade and LeBron.

but holy fuck balls. thatd be a good game.
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:27 pm

If they don't win it in the 1st three years i will be rofling!
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 pm

idk cbi.

let's cancel out kobe-wade because they are neck and neck at their (respected) position.

lebron is better than durant, i know, and would overpower him a lot. but durant has a more rounded scoring style then lbj, has a wider arsenal of moves, and can shoot better.

then dwight and bosh. yeah.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Lets not cancel out Wade-Kobe. Since Wade is an athletic beast. and three on three i feel like he could just blow past kobe at this age. i dunno.

LeBron could blow past Durant. but Durant could just shoot lights out all day too.

Bosh is underrated. But Dwight wins. But again, Bosh is underrated.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm

oh. i see. but kobe is still one of the greatest defenders of his time. just sayin.

lebron wont stop durant, durant wont stop lebron.

dwight. i want to suck his dick until it has cancer
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 7:43 pm

:silent:
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 8:11 pm

No Solution wrote:
this is just fucked up.. :eww:
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 9:07 pm

i never said that. some fuck *COUGHcbiCOUGH* edited my post.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 pm

I seriously didnt edit the post. I left right after that to get a hair cut.
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 10:02 pm

No Solution wrote:

Someone is coming outta the closet.. Suspect
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 6:17 am

No Solution wrote:
i never said that. some fuck *COUGHcbiCOUGH* edited my post.

i figured...but who? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 6:36 am

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 am

Nobody edited it..that lil faggots just a faggot...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?   Big Contract Players or Franchise Players? Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Contract Players or Franchise Players?
Page 1 of 1