Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Ohio State University

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
#1 Rockets Fan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
#1 Rockets Fan

Female Posts : 1181

The Ohio State University Empty
PostSubject: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm going to be a Junior this upcoming school year and have been looking at some Pharmacy schools that I would like to attend after high school. Recently (April 2) I got a letter from Ohio State giving me some information about there school and a letter with my name. The last paragraph says:

"We hope Ohio State is on your list of potential schools- if you don't know much about us, the enclosed brochure is a good introduction. To hear more from us, return the enclosed card or sign up at replycard.osu.edu."

Do you think that this letter is advertisement or are they interested in me. And would I qualify for the school? I have a GPA of 3.8 unweighted and 4.3 weighted, I'm in the Top 10% of my class, I do Basketball and Softball, I voleenteer at my aunt's job, and plan on doing AP and Honors classes this school year so I will have a better understanding of the SAT and ACT.

Is the school interested in me and am I on the right track?

Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Both; it's an advertisement sent to tens of thousands of high school students across the country, but they're also interested in you and the tens of thousands of other students like you. That's the kind of letter that I'm sure you'll see more of from schools all over the country that are mass-produced and sent to students with good grades/extracurriculars.

Based on what you said, I think you'd easily get in. It's a huge school, and while some of their programs are excellent (like their pharmacy program) OSU is not on the level of great private schools like Duke or Stanford or great public ones like UCLA or UNC or Texas.

Your junior year is coming up? Register to take the PSAT; do well on that and colleges will take notice. Alabama, Auburn, UCF, the University of Chicago and other schools all offered full scholarships because I got a really high score on the PSAT/did well in school and on the SAT. But you have to do well on the PSAT first.
Back to top Go down
#1 Rockets Fan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
#1 Rockets Fan

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks!! Auburn actually contacted my three times and asked me to visit their campus. I've made it a habit to answer SAT and ACT questions daily. Did they offer you full scholarships in your Junior year?!?
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:34 pm

#1 Rockets Fan wrote:
Thanks!! Auburn actually contacted my three times and asked me to visit their campus. I've made it a habit to answer SAT and ACT questions daily. Did they offer you full scholarships in your Junior year?!?

No, they started offering those scholarships at the start of senior year, but it was because I took the PSATs my junior year.

And that was actually what I was going to say next, was to sign up for those SAT Question of the Day emails lol.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

WHOOOO OSU WHOOOOOO
Back to top Go down
#1 Rockets Fan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
#1 Rockets Fan

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:38 pm

CAguyofftoUNC wrote:
#1 Rockets Fan wrote:

No, they started offering those scholarships at the start of senior year, but it was because I took the PSATs my junior year.

And that was actually what I was going to say next, was to sign up for those SAT Question of the Day emails lol.

Thanks so much. Our school makes us take the PSATs. I took it last year and didn't do so well, but I'm a little more prepared for it this year since I know what it covers. BTW which test is better; the SAT or the ACT?
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 pm

#1 Rockets Fan wrote:
CAguyofftoUNC wrote:
#1 Rockets Fan wrote:

Thanks so much. Our school makes us take the PSATs. I took it last year and didn't do so well, but I'm a little more prepared for it this year since I know what it covers. BTW which test is better; the SAT or the ACT?

That's good that your high school requires it, it can be a really, really important test for you. Good luck!

Ehhh...there isn't really one that's "better" than the other. There are some schools like Wake Forest that only take the ACT, and I think schools in Illinois/some other places are following suit; even so, the SAT is still more...well-known/better-regarded than the ACT. I took both and submitted both with my applications. The Ohio State University 853558

Usually when I talk to friends/other college-bound people and the SAT versus ACT comes up, most think the ACT was easier. But you should probably take both and then just submit whichever score seems better. Oh, and the SAT has an advantage that the ACT doesn't (at least, it didn't when I took it): you can mix and match scores if you take the SAT multiple times. So let's say I take the SAT three times: the first time I take it, I get an 800 on reading but a 600 on Math and a 600 on Writing; the second time, an 800 on Math but a 600 on Reading and Writing; the third time, an 800 on Writing but a 600 on Reading and Math. I can take the 800 scores from each separate test and put them together and submit a perfect 2400 score on my application, instead of the 2000 I got from each test, if that makes sense. On the CollegeBoard website it's called Score Choice, I think; I only took the SAT twice and the second time I got higher scores in each category than the first time, so I didn't use it.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 pm

I think its advertisement. When they were coming after me they kept calling,had meetings,hand written letters,ETC. but i'm an athelete,it might be different for like a smart person..im just giving my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
#1 Rockets Fan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
#1 Rockets Fan

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 pm

CAguyofftoUNC wrote:
#1 Rockets Fan wrote:
CAguyofftoUNC wrote:
#1 Rockets Fan wrote:

That's good that your high school requires it, it can be a really, really important test for you. Good luck!

Ehhh...there isn't really one that's "better" than the other. There are some schools like Wake Forest that only take the ACT, and I think schools in Illinois/some other places are following suit; even so, the SAT is still more...well-known/better-regarded than the ACT. I took both and submitted both with my applications. The Ohio State University 853558

Usually when I talk to friends/other college-bound people and the SAT versus ACT comes up, most think the ACT was easier. But you should probably take both and then just submit whichever score seems better. Oh, and the SAT has an advantage that the ACT doesn't (at least, it didn't when I took it): you can mix and match scores if you take the SAT multiple times. So let's say I take the SAT three times: the first time I take it, I get an 800 on reading but a 600 on Math and a 600 on Writing; the second time, an 800 on Math but a 600 on Reading and Writing; the third time, an 800 on Writing but a 600 on Reading and Math. I can take the 800 scores from each separate test and put them together and submit a perfect 2400 score on my application, instead of the 2000 I got from each test, if that makes sense. On the CollegeBoard website it's called Score Choice, I think; I only took the SAT twice and the second time I got higher scores in each category than the first time, so I didn't use it.

Wow! I'm learning more from you than any of my teachers, websites are telling me. I really appreciate it. You are now my #1 source if I need some help with colleges. I'm going to continue to research the requirements of SAT/ACT scores, and GPA.

Thanks soo much for your help!!
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 pm

No problem! Feel free to PM me if there's anything I could help you with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ohio State University   The Ohio State University Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ohio State University
Page 1 of 1