Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?

Go down 
+5
Snow.
brownie13
Raza
Straight Edge Bluntness
Fox News
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? Empty
PostSubject: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:01 pm

his should have happened a year ago. The Detroit Pistons, not too far removed from the 2008 Eastern Conference Finals, earned a trip to the Lottery podium for the first time in a long time — and now talk around the franchise is all about renovating and rebuilding.

Rodney Stuckey has a critical season in front of him if he wants to be the go-to guy. Jonas Jerebko was one of the biggest positive surprises of ‘09 rookie class. The Pistons have a Top-10 draft pick in their pocket to get another future foundation piece, and ‘09 free agent signees Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva will be given every chance to be VIP’s in their second year under second-year coach John Kuester.

But what about the old guard? In something of an identity-crisis year for Detroit, they tried to successfully initiate the young guys while keeping a lot of the old guys around: Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, all alumni of the 2004 NBA championship team. Not that any of the veterans caused complaints — Rip led the team with 18.1 points per game, Wallace was the leading rebounder at 8.7 boards a night, and Prince was the best three-point shooter, hitting 37 percent of his treys — but now it’s time to truly begin a new era in Motown. Wallace is a free agent who may be looking to go to a contender, and while Prince and Hamilton were involved in trade rumors last summer, it’s more likely one of them gets dealt this time. From the Detroit Free-Press:

Since the team has too many players at small forward and shooting guard, Prince or Hamilton is the most likely to go so the team can move forward.

At guard, the Pistons have Ben Gordon, Hamilton, Will Bynum and Rodney Stuckey, plus a possible experiment with Austin Daye at shooting guard. At small forward, the Pistons have Prince, Jonas Jerebko (who could develop into a power forward), Daye and DaJuan Summers.

Prince, in the final year of his deal that is set to pay him $11 million, might be the wiser option to keep.

“Tayshaun is more versatile and he’s younger,” said Bill Duffy, Prince’s agent. “He’s the perfect complementary player, and I don’t think there’s any question that Rip is the kind of player who is in need of the ball. He’s a great scorer, but obviously not as versatile as Tayshaun. Tayshaun can blend better with the new players that they have and the younger crew.”

Despite the obvious bias, Duffy is right. Tayshaun (30) is two years younger than Rip (32) and gives the Pistons more in terms of defense and his ability to play multiple positions. And Prince doesn’t have to be The Man when he’s on the floor, which is vital if the Pistons are trying to experiment and introduce new primary scorers.

Then again, Rip could be the one to stick around for a few reasons. Primarily, he’s going to be harder to trade, considering his contract has three years and $37.8 million left on it, while Prince’s deal is expiring. And while Rip is technically older, there’s a good chance Prince is aging in dog years and will be less durable down the road. Prince has a ton of mileage on him after going like seven seasons without missing a game, while Rip is one of the best-conditioned athletes in the NBA.

If you’re running the Pistons, who would you look to trade? and why?
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Hmm...interesting situation.
If they are looking to revamp their roster completely, it may be better to trade Rip if possible because of his larger contract. Then again, Prince had showed some signs of a decline this past season...so who knows how much he is capable of producing next season.

I am not sure...but if the Pistons had to trade one player...I am leaning towards Prince maybe.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm

The Pistons are done. Villanueva, Rip, Gordon, and Stuckey were all household names before this season. I doubt anybody would really want them, with all the media talking about Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Dirk. Tay disappeared this year and Rip and Gordon on the same team won't work. Rip is a team player but is getting old. Gordon is a ballhog but is pretty young. I say try to work around Ben Gordon and try to help him develop into a full player.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 pm

recycle everything and start from scratch

jk

they had a lot of injury issues in the back court this season (a very deep back court) and their front court (as far as real post players) was pretty terrible. the only semi-effective big they had was ben wallace who they brought back at a veteran's minimum. jerebko is a dual forward, villanueva is dual forward, and neither daye nor tayshaun can play in the post. when you look at their roster, it really doesn't look too bad until you get to the bigs.

stuckey, rip, and gordon at pg/sg

tayshaun, daye, jerebko, and villanueva at sf/pf

chris wilcox at c

that last line is pretty pathetic. i'm not sure if they'll bring back ben wallace or not, but even then, they're very undersized and poor offensively in the post. they also have maxiel, but again he's not really a center and not at all an offensive presence.

they need a center. a true, legitimate center. they could be all right if they do that. maybe trade 1 or 2 of their plentiful forwards for a solid center and take another in the draft if they can. whiteside could be available to them. i think he'd be the right pick.

Last edited by Dub C on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Snow.
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Snow.

Male Posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:24 pm

I Say trade away and rebuild around Rodney Stuckey + Austin Daye + Jonas Jerebko etc.
even trade away Will Bynum who is good they should go back to the rebuilding stage and just for the next few years aim for high draft picks cause the team they have now aint making the playoffs
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:36 pm

SNOW. wrote:
I Say trade away and rebuild around Rodney Stuckey + Austin Daye + Jonas Jerebko etc.
even trade away Will Bynum who is good they should go back to the rebuilding stage and just for the next few years aim for high draft picks cause the team they have now aint making the playoffs

nobody is going to want villanueva or gordon at their price tag. that's how detroit got them so quickly last season. nobody offered anything near that much money. it's going to be very difficult to get rid of either of them.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I say they should trade RIP cause I would imagine he has a much higher trade value than Prince. Prince has slowed down and has kinda just been a high salary, efficient role player. If RIP were to get traded to a team where he will get a lot of good looks like Cleveland or Orlando, the dude will be beast. Plus since the Pistons want to get young, Prince wont hurt that at all. He is a very cohesive player who has many intangibles and will provide a winning guidance to other young players.
Back to top Go down
Snow.
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Snow.

Male Posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Dub C wrote:
SNOW. wrote:

nobody is going to want villanueva or gordon at their price tag. that's how detroit got them so quickly last season. nobody offered anything near that much money. it's going to be very difficult to get rid of either of them.

atleast trade them away for players
with expiring contracts nexxt year
such as Eddy Curry etc.
i would keep Gordon and keep bringing him off the bench as fire power and just develop their young players as starters
and villanueva? shit thats going to be hard to get rid of lol
man Joe Dumars fail
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 am

I agree CO. Rip has nearly 3 years left at $38 million. He's already 32, so if they can find a way to dump him to a team looking for a veteran scorer, that would probably be their best option. Prince only has a single year left on his contract, and may be the most similar player in the league to Austin Daye, who I'm pretty sure the Pistons want to turn into a major piece for their future. It would be good to have Tayshaun around to show the kid the ropes. That being said, I don't think they are likely to find a way out from under Jason Maxiel's 3 year, $15 million contract, or either of Gordon's or Villanueva's large ones. The best they can hope for there is that the two mesh better this upcoming season, and return to what they expected to be when the Pistons signed them.
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I think Hamilton will be gone. Prince works well with the young guys.
I think Detroit should draft Greg Monroe, and get back Ben Wallace. They need to trade for a big guy as well. I don't think the Pistons would want Whiteside, who is extremely immature, and is a black hole at times. In around 485 minutes, he has 9 assists. Are you kidding me? That's a bigger blackhole than Zach Randolph..If they can trade for a young,solid defending big man, their is no need to resign Wallace. I can imagine the Pistons signing Kyle Korver. Why? I have no idea.

PG: Rodney Stuckey/Will Bynum
SG: Ben Gordon/Kyle Korver
SF: Tayshaun Prince/Jonas Jerebko
PF: Charlie Villnueva/Jason MAxiell
C: Greg Monroe/whoever they get for Rip.

I seriously think the Pistons are screwed.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Yep.....

The pistons either need a good leader of a good center.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Detroit fucked up last year. They could have not signed anyone and just tanked the season. They would have gotten a higher draft pick AND they would have had 20 million to spend.

With how prince played last season, idk if anyone is gonna really want him. He's a good defender but his O is nothing to brag about. Rip is on the wrong side of 30 years old.. so idk how high his stock is. If I was the Boss in Detroit, I'd trade Prince and draft a SF at 6. Keep Rip for another year.. but he's playing well when the season starts.. I would trade him too to get some value back for him.

they NEED bigs.. Ben is washed up, Charlie is a shitty defender.. and maxiell is just a good bench guy.
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

Male Posts : 3251

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:14 pm

I think they both will stay..
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Koe Finals mvp

[size=24][/sizeLakers 2010 champs
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

Male Posts : 3251

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 pm

One of them might leave tho
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

GOT IT...GOOD
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm

wow..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?   Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will rip and tayshaun remain pistons? who leaves?
Page 1 of 1