Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Boston Celtics Report Card

Go down 
+3
brownie13
Straight Edge Bluntness
wallshingtonwizard
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Boston Celtics Report Card Empty
PostSubject: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Preseason expectations: Win the #1 or #2 seed in the Conference, win the NBA Finals

Overall based on preseason expectations: D

They didn't earn a #2, or at least a #3 seed to avoid Cleveland in the 2nd round (if they make it.) Also they didn't win the championship yet, and with teams seriously looking to be championship winners, it's that or nothing, A or an F at the end of the season.

General: They pride on solid half court execution on offense, and are gritty on D.

Key to their success: Generally, they are one of the top teams in the NBA in FG%, and in defensive FG% and ppg, which I've always said, the latter is ALWAYS taken with a grain of salt since teams who give up few points are usually slow on offense.. They have 23 apg and 14 to/pg for a team that only shoots the ball 77 times a game. Their opponents have 19 apg and 15 to's. When your team is this efficient on O, and D, you're gonna win more games than not.

Bad Points: They are outrebounded by about 2 per game. Also this team has been injury ridden especially at the PF position with Garnett. The Celtics have also lost games against the Wizards and the Nets, the two worst Eastern teams.... at home.

LeBron money available: 19-40 million available, considering Pierce's option. To stay financially flexible, Pierce may opt out and re-sign for less. KG's deal is on the books for two more years, and if he's regressing like he is as of late and this is permanent, that's going to hurt this team for some time. Rondo is on the books for the next five years, which is worth it, but with the NBA lockout looming, don't expect him to get paid 10-11 million a year after the new CBA is made.

How far can BOS go: Well, if they're healthy, and everyone is focused, they will win the NBA championship given how efficient they are on both ends, I think they're better than the Cavs in this regard. But injuries and the aging of this team are catching up quick. They will likely make a 2nd round appearance after another 7 game dogfight with Miami, and will get beaten by Cleveland in the 2nd round. At worst, they're one and done. The Celtics know they have a long rebuild ahead around Rondo and want to delay it as far as possible, but they should only do that if they go far in the playoffs this year, and that's not likely.
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Fair grading.

Personally, I initially believed (before the start of the season) that Daniels and Wallace would be great pick ups for the Celtics and lead them to the top 2 in the East.

This is good stuff; looking forward to how you evaluate other teams in the league as well.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 pm

they should have had a #2, or at least #3, and walked away with a #4. they played .500 basketball over the final 3.5 months of the season and aren't really expected to contend for a championship this postseason, even though they have all their pieces healthy. injuries was supposed to be their biggest issue this season, and despite good health down the stretch, they were terrible. only bright spot was the continued improvement of Big Baby, Perkins, and Rondo. the big three have sort of dropped off the map as far as their ability to take over games consistently. they definitely did not meet their preseason expectations, and came up well short. they didn't quite fail, but it was bad.

D-
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 4:51 am

D

That's what they get
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

D for Disappointing or D for Defense? huh?
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:08 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
D for Disappointing or D for Defense? huh?

D for overall expectations,preety weak.Even the injured Blazers did better
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:12 pm

And thewiz,i love the video you have in your signature.Apsolutely fantastic.LeBron just meet similar player like him in terms of hockey,Ocerckin is a beast,i watched some highlights and on the Olympics,i will confirm your statments

Hey,they could be potential duo if Overckin goes like from the Capitals to some team close to LeBron's Cavs Razz
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Wouldn't happen. Cleveland doesn't have an NHL team, but Columbus does and that market is much smaller than the one we have here in DC which is one of the best ones in the US. LeBron goes to DC before Alex goes to Columbus. Ovie has a ten year deal right now.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
Wouldn't happen. Cleveland doesn't have an NHL team, but Columbus does and that market is much smaller than the one we have here in DC which is one of the best ones in the US. LeBron goes to DC before Alex goes to Columbus. Ovie has a ten year deal right now.

Maybe afrer LeBron wins couple of rings in Cavs maybe then Razz
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:19 pm

I Disagree with the expectations.
Most of the people were saying that they are "too old" and wont have a chance for the champ. And also that they will be behind Cavs and Orlando..Similar to what happened.

Still the Grade is ok..Very disappointing season, (except PlayOffs so far) even though 50 win season isnt that bad.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Chris wrote:
I Disagree with the expectations.
Most of the people were saying that they are "too old" and wont have a chance for the champ. And also that they will be behind Cavs and Orlando..Similar to what happened..

most of the people?

you mean most of the people that hate the celtics were saying that?

If I remember correctly.. s shit load of people were picking them to win the finals after they got Rasheed wallace and Daniels. Also, I heard "If the celtics could almost beat the magic without KG, they could easily win the finals with KG healthy and the addition of Wallace and daniels."

not to mention Wallaces 80-2 record prediction for the Celtics Rolling Eyes

D is good though..
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Obviously, yes.
Most of the non-Celtics fans hate the Celtics, thats a fact.
The non-Biased fans were saying that loosing Powe and Posey was a huge loss if you also remember well, lol.

The Rasheed pick was truly a big hope but i dont think anyone besides Celtics fans being confident about next season, we had a good season just not as good as expected, count the fact of KG's injury and there you got it.

I remember others saying about Rasheed but they were very few compared to the ones saying the Powe,Posey scenario, the washed up scenario and and and, it was Lebrons year from the start of the season.

P.S Dont forget the season isnt over yet.

Last edited by Chris on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:58 pm

the season is over..this is the post-season
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Crocodile Alligator wrote:
the season is over..this is the post-season
well, lol.you got what i meant..
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boston Celtics Report Card   Boston Celtics Report Card Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1