Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT Empty
PostSubject: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

While the two NCAA tourney's, the two NIT's and the CBI and the College insider are going on, Gilbert is right now having huge nightmares every other hour.

The government finally released their pre-sentencing recommendation, longer than some of my posts,

In short:
1. They recommend 3 months for Gilbert though they also acknowledge that his money and fame helped buy it, at least tacitly.

2. Gil changed his story many times

3. Gil was more worried about himself and his NBA career, not the kids or anyone else.

4. Basically, if they could recommend the max, which they said they wouldn't because of the plea agreement, they would.

the judge Friday doesn't have to give him three months. He can give him five years. Looks like a legal version for the Antawn for Zydrunas trade. The prosecutors (Cavs) winked at the Judge (Wizards) to give Gil a nasty sentence while still recommending only three months.

Just like the Cavs winked at the Wizards to waive Z so they can resign him a month later.

THEY DID!

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/welcome_back_z_100322.html

Hopefully this analogy plays out!!!!

It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT 126814 It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT 126814 It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT 322551 It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT 322551

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Im goin on. Move
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 pm

The gun pics are in the link as an exhibit
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 pm

IBC wrote:
Im goin on. Move

I don't get your idiom.

Update: Here is a 212 page sob story on how Gilbert Jorge Arenas Jr. is a great upstanding guy with a few mischievous flaws, like the rest of us.

I will paraphrase this tomorrow evening.

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
J
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
J

Male Posts : 2286

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:54 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
IBC wrote:
Im goin on. Move

I don't get your idiom.

Update: Here is a 212 page sob story on how Gilbert Jorge Arenas Jr. is a great upstanding guy with a few mischievous flaws, like the rest of us.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/documents/arenasdefensememo032310.pdf

haha. dude you seriously need to be a writer. I enjoy reading your stuff.
I'm down for Gilbert Arenas week. So.. is this guy hispanic, or what?
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 pm

He is Hispanic. His dad is Cuban American. Arenas is a Spanish name, would be pronounced as "AH-REH-NAHS" by the Spanish and the Latinos out there.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:00 pm

J wrote:
thewiz06 wrote:
IBC wrote:
Im goin on. Move

I don't get your idiom.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/documents/arenasdefensememo032310.pdf

haha. dude you seriously need to be a writer. I enjoy reading your stuff.
I'm down for Gilbert Arenas week. So.. is this guy hispanic, or what?

Well I appreciate your compliments. I've read about half of the crap on the prosecution stuff.
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:03 am

I kinda hope he doesn't get jail time or if he does; that it is for s short period of time.
I don't wanna place too much judgement on him because people have done much worse in this society...good luck to Gilby.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 am

Thewiz06's Cliff Notes of the Prosecution's affidavit. Also in plain English!!!

I: Introduction
Basic Summary that Gilbert brought guns to the Phone Booth, why he did it. Also he had inconsistent stories about it, and was not really forthcoming and remorseful. For those reasons, he should be sentenced to six months in prison, all but three months suspended (that means if he fucks up after his three month sentence, he can come back to the clink), will serve three years of probation, plus 300 hours of community service.

II: Factual Background
We all know most of this. I'll just fill you in on some additional things folks didn't know much about yet. They came back from Phoenix 12/20/09, they played Bourre on the plane, Gil and Javaris' argument actually started in Loudoun County, VA about 30 miles away from Washington DC, when their plane landed there, and that's where the threats were made. Wizards players confirm this, and say that the threats were possibly for real, even those who knew Gil's sense of humor.

12/21/09, Gil comes to Verizon Center with a backpack in front of his body, which was odd, confirmed by video tape. Critt also brought in his own gun that day, for his safety. You know most of the rest of this. At least six Wizards members saw Gil's or Critt's guns. You can see Gil's guns in my signature. We don't know how the situation ended, but the people in the locker room did leave either because they felt awkward or were flat out scared. We also learn that some of the six witnesses contacted Wizards management. Gil meanwhile told a teammate to take a suitcase which had the guns into his car in the garage; that teammate wasn't there for the big event, prob never knew there were guns in there and didn't know which car was Gil's so the suitcase was on a corner.

Presumably after practice that day, Gilbert was ordered to meet with management and confronted about the guns in the locker room. He admitted that he had them in there. When asked why, he stood up and yelled, "Fuck that, you guys are trying to blame me!" and was order to sit down and he did. He claimed that he brought the guns to keep them away from the family, and in the same meaning said that he brought them to sell the guns to a teammate. He was notified the incident violated league policy, Gil said he thought the guns didn't as long as the team let him bring it in. The team management ordered the guns to be removed from Verizon Center that day.

III. ARGUMENT
Section A. When and Why Gilbert brought the four guns in DC.

The prosecution uses his words, stated publicly against him here from many articles. First, they try to say he's lying. When management confronted him, he first tried to keep the guns away from the family, then changed the story saying he was selling them to a teammate. A few days later in the Washington Times, he once again said the first story. The defendant on the proffer of facts when he plead guilty admits that he brought at least one gun with him to DC, though he claims that three were already in the locker room before again in the proffer. The prosecution says this is bullshit, because he only can bring ANY gun in there just to confront Crittenton.

Gilbert claims that this was a spur of the moment joke, well the prosecution says he planned this. After coming back home after the argument, he had to have grabbed the guns, put them in his backpack, drive to DC, put them on Critts' chair. It's the only thing that makes sense, since in the argument, Gil felt disrespected by teammates.

The government wants the Judge to understand that Gil never intended to actually shoot a teammate, but once again, he planned to do this because Critt crossed paths with him during the bourre game.

B. The Defendant's "Joke" Explanation, I mean Bullshit
Gilbert repeatedly told the team, the public, and the court, "It's a joke, I don't take anything that seriously". Bullshit, Critt, and teammates, even those who know Gil is a joker thought his threats to shoot him could have sounded for real if not for real.

C. The Defendant's Feigned Ignorance of the Law Excuse, or More Bullshit
Gilbert says he didn't know DC gun laws were that strict, he should thus get a lighter sentence. Well, yeah, if they didn't truly know the law, maybe a light sentence is appropriate. The prosecution finds out that in November 2009, a players meeting was held regarding security that guns must be registered in the jurisdiction they are in, AND NO GUNS ARE ALLOWED AT NBA ARENAS, PERIOD. No other Wizards player believed that the team could let them bring guns in if they had permission from the team, which is what Gil said. He never asked for permission, because it wasn't allowed.

Gilbert also owns or owned 500 guns in his Virginia home, in Great Falls, VA, and you'd think he'd know the law. Well, he says, "I didn't know." Really, Gilbert is talking out of his ass.

D. The Defendant Has Not Been Forthcoming
Gilbert says he was always cooperative in the investigation. Bullshit again.
D1. His First Questioning
Even before Gilbert was summoned to see team management, one witness overheard him yell at them "Fuck that, they don't need to see me about shit! I didn't do anything!" when two Wizards employees told him he had to go. Well, one of the people around him was part of management and order him to go which he did.

Gilbert also as I wrote earlier in the facts section was confrontational. So here's the deal. Gilbert cooperated because at least six teammates and employees saw him with the guns. He had to admit to it there. But he talked out of his asshole at any place where possible so his asshole can remain a no-entry zone for as long as possible.

D2. Attempt to cover up Crittenton
In the first team meeting with management, he did tell them Javars had a gun. Later on when management texted him, Gilbert now denies it. He even texted a teammate to text Critt to tell him that there was no confrontation, and that Gil will take all the blame. Gilbert did not have Javaris' digits.

D3. Gilbert's multiple versions
Once again, here is every version on how Gilbert's asshole made noise, in Gil's words

12/21/09 - "Okay, I had guns, so did Critt! I did bring them here to keep away from the kids. I also wanted to sell one to DeSwag just in case LeBron wanted to start new beef too."

12/22/09 - Gil texts that he doesn't remember Critt having a gun. He wanted to give teammates the guns now. Not sell them. Maybe DeSwag needed a glock sooner because Jay-Z did threaten to blow a whistle. This is when Critt got this text.
It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT Phone10

12/24/09 - Gil's lawyer repeats Gil's text pretty much.

12/25/09 - Gil texts the times "I brought all the guns in on 12/10/09 to keep them away from the kids"

12/29/09 - Wizards and Critt acknowledge something happened in the locker room

01/04/10 - Public statement by Gil once again stating he brought in the guns to DC to keep them away from the kids.

01/15/10 - Gil is a felon, and his asshole has been exposed. He brought "at least one" gun to DC THAT day on 12/21/09 and was involved with Critt.

Gil wants the Judge to judge him since he has the true story. Well, he has several true stories. All coming out of his asshole, and assholes are dirty, so they must be lies.

E. Gil's lack of remorse

The Philly game, he did say that "If I really did something wrong, it would bother me. ... I didn't do anything." This was on 01/05/10, two weeks after the incident. He has no remorse about the incident. He thinks it's a joke. Finger guns was also an exhibit too by the way.

IV. GIL HAS GOTTA BE IN THE CLINK
Okay, let's take a step back. Gil did meet with authorities, he did hand over the guns, and he acknowledged guilt. Sure he's a benevolent guy and charitable. But he still did a really stupid thing, and he cooperated with authorities because he had NO WIGGLE ROOM TO GET HIS ASS OUT OF IT.

IV-A: Seriousness of the offense
A number of teammates didn't think his threats were jokes. They left the room during the incidents because they were uncomfortable or they were flat out scared. One player grabbed his stuff and FLED. FLED! Gilbert of course didn't take this seriously either.

IV-B - Criminal History
He did a gun offense before and got no jail time for it. Repeat offender. Just probation isn't going to be enough to stop him from doing it THREE times. Or more.

IV-C- Just punishment
Gilbert believes he's been punished enough because the prosecutor wouldn't give him a more lenient plea. But he still did the crime, and the situation could have been worse. The prosecution could have given him four felony charges for each gun AND agreed to ask for the minimum amount of jail time under guidelines. He should count his blessings. Jailing him is justified because of that.

IV-D- Deterrence
Just letting Gil go on probation sends a bad message to the public not just himself. Most guys without the fame and fortune Gil has who are in the same predicament would likely get closer to five years in prison for the same thing, and Gil is no different even if he's famous.

V- Conclusion
If anyone else without Gil's fame did the same thing. Repeat offender. Brought the guns to intimidate, lie about it to several groups of folks, and felt no remorse like Gilbert Jorge Arenas, Jr. did, they're getting in prison for sure. Gil is no different.

For all of the aforementioned reasons Gilbert should get this recommended sentence of six months in jail with 3 months suspended, three years of probation afterward with 300 hours of community service.

*wink* Judge, give him more than a year. You know how it's done. *wink wink*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT   It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT Empty

Back to top Go down

It's Gilbert Arenas week here at RBT
Page 1 of 1