Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?

Go down 
+6
Chosen One
No Longer DEAD
Chris
Raza
EM:)
Darko
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? Empty
PostSubject: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Do you think so?Could he be arguied as the closest thing to Larry Bird.Do you think that their playing styles are diffrent?

BQ:Dirk Nowitzki,a Hall Of Famer.Agree/Disagree

BQ2:Who is the most unique player ever?
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 pm

There are a lot of similarities between them, but sadly Larry Legend has 3 rings and ReDirkulous has yet to win one. I think Dirk deserves a ring more than anyone. He is an MVP type player, 1 of the clutchest players currently in the NBA, a case can be made that he's the best shooter in the NBA (definitely the greatest shooting big man of all-time), he can rebound, and his defense has gotten better over the years. If only his team could step it up more Dirk has been carrying them posting huge game after huge game in losing postseason efforts. I mean against the Nuggets Dirk averaged 38 PPG in that series and hit clutch shot after clutch shot throughout those playoffs. What more and what else does he have to do to get over the hump? I've been saying it for years they need a more reliable 2. As good as Terry/Howard have been over the years they are too inconsistent. Dirk needs more consistent help.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Well he's not quite near Larry, but if you're talking about closest to him within active players, then yes.

BQ - Agree. One of the most consistent players throughout every season. He's extremely clutch, and can hold a team on his back

BQ2 - I dunno
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Closest thing from the current active players yes, but no way near Larry's Level.

BQ : Absolutely yes.

BQ1 : Well they are many, you can say Dwight,Dirk,KG even Nate. All-time Wilt,Magic,Spudd etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Closest thing to Larry Bird? yes, if he gets a championship he will get closer
future Hall of Famer? hell yes! no doubt about it.

Most Unique player? umm.. Shawn Marion, can guard all positions being 6-7.
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:31 pm

No one is close to Larry Bird...yeah, both of them are great shooting big men but the same case could be made for Andrea Bargnani, Rasheed Wallace, etc. Dirk isn't as great as a rebounder or defender as Bird was, and his court vision was nowhere near what Bird's was. Bird was a complete all-around player, he could get triple doubles on any given night. Dirk can get double doubles on any given night. Point is, no one was ever like Bird and no one ever will be.

BQ: No shit Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? 5529

BQ2: Sam Cassell?
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Well yeah there Khai....No one is arguing that Dirk is better than Larry Bird. What we are saying that Dirk is the closest thing in today's game to Larry Bird. Kind of like when VC was a walking/talking/breathing highlight reel and the closest dunker we had to a Dominique Wilkens. Truth is Dirk is a very unique player a 7 footer that can stroke it like that and beat you off balanced, posting up, whatever is very rare.

I agree with Shadow The Matrix is a unique player.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Honestly......i dont really think so cause Dirk is a PF who likes to post up/face up midrange while Bird was an SF who really played mostly on the perimeter and did virtually everything. Their playing style appear really different to me, and someone like bargnani's playing style kinda strikes me to have the playing style of bird cause he plays on the perimeter.

BQ: Yes

BQ2: um.....Not sure. Marion was a good answer though
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:06 pm

I personally think that their playing style is diffrent but he's the closest thing among the active players to Bird....although there won't be another Bird
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Yes. He's the closest now. Bird was a better defender, passer, and a slightly better rebounder.

Yes, without a doubt he's a future Hall of Fame player.

Magic Johnson. A 6'9" point guard who was a triple double machine. They don't get any more unique.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:02 pm

Yes,he is the closest to Larry.

Agree.

Oscar Robertson.A 6'5 point guard who averaged a triple double for an entire season
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:07 pm

I think the whole Dirk-Bird comparison is kinda overrated, even without looking at talent their playing style is completely different.

They are just too white guys who arent very athletic, but are elite shootes who are sure fire HOF's
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 pm

He's the closest one but so far away from beeing compared to the dude because Larry could rebound/defebd/pass/lead and was succesful........

BQ:Nowitzki will be a Hall Of Famer for sure

BQ2:Oscar Roberston,Magic Johnson,Larry Bird,LeBron James,Kevin McHale,Bill Russell,Shaquille O'Neal etc

Last edited by Historian on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:00 pm

No.

Not even close.

Larry Bird in himself was an anomaly. No speed... yet he'd beat you off the dribble. No hops... yet he'd score over the best and most athletic defenders you could throw at him. He had Robert Parish and Kevin McHale on his team.. yet would still pull down double figure rebounds. If his shot wasn't going down (which was very rare) he'd beat you with passing and rebounding and defense. He was easily one of the greastest passers at the forward posistion the game has ever seen.

Yes... Larry was not a shut down defender... but he'd play you into a corner or force you to pass or guide you into McHale, Parish or Dennis Johnson so that they would block your shot or you'd get the ball ripped out of your hands.

I hate the comparison of Bird and Dirk because they are white, tall, shooters and dominate the court... especially because Dirk is no where near as dominate as Bird.

If Dirk (who is a very good player... top 5 for sure) had any of the competitive drive and basketball I.Q. as Bird he would've had at least one ring by now.

At the least.

And in terms of clutch shooting and carrying the team, it's about as close as New York is to the moon.

Dirk is his own player (a very good one at that). One who will eventually win a ring in time... maybe... but he is not in Larry Bird's house. He is merely looking into Bird's garden.

If anyone remembers (and it's okay if you don't) the only team Jordan could never beat was Larry Bird and the Celtics.

BQ:Dirk Nowitzki,a Hall Of Famer.Agree/Disagree. Agree.

BQ2:Who is the most unique player ever? Magic Johnson.

Last edited by Nick C on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Well said Nick.Well said

Most of us said that they had diffrent playing styles....
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Historian wrote:
Well said Nick.Well said

Most of us said that they had diffrent playing styles....

Thanks Darko. I don't hate on Dirk at all. But to me the comparison is... not even close.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 pm

I know you don't hate Dirk at all because that was really unbias answer for sure.I mean,i would trust your opinion more then someone's else because you have actually seen them play
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Nick C stole the words right out of my mouth.......
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:12 pm

How to compare the 2? they played a totally different game
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?   Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Dirk Nowitzki the closest thing to Larry Bird?
Page 1 of 1