Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.

Go down 
3 posters

Is the UConn women's basketball team be undefeated this year?
Yes
Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. Vote_lcap67%Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
No
Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. Vote_lcap33%Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. Empty
PostSubject: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:15 pm

UConn won their 89th in a row yesterday, beating Florida State at their 2nd home in Hartford, CT (93-62). Maya Moore scored a career high 41 pts, 10 boards, 5 dimes, 3 blocks and a steal in front of more fans than the Wizards can bring on a good night. They now hold the undisputed Division I record for most consecutive victories by a men's or women's Division I program.

Numerous UConn alumni were in attendance, but Caron Butler unfortunately couldn't. He made his tribute to the women's team with a 20 pt performance against the Orlando Magic as we speak!

The Huskies still have to go to Stanford, they still have to play Rutgers, and they still have to play Duke, so there are definitely games ahead where they can lose. Well, can they make it three undefeated seasons in a row?!
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 pm

not that impressive...its womens bball..not as good as the mens record by far
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:52 pm

im.a hater Neutral
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I think the record is great, but that it's stupid to keep comparing it to UCLA's. For once, I agree wholeheartedly with Bill Plaschke.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-20101222,0,5163295.column

Also, hard to be happy for a douchebag like Auriemma. Great for women's basketball though. Unfortunately, I think UCLA's will still be considered the gold standard. It's just now it'll be the Division I men's basketball record, instead of the Division I record.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 pm

To me, I don't think you can compare UConn women to UCLA men in the Wooden era. In today's age, a Div I championship team plays 38 to 40 games that season. in Wooden's era, teams played closer to 30 games, so from one standpoint, the UCLA streak seems more impressive.

On the other hand, in today's Div I basketball we have tv games for nearly every game for every team in a major conference for men's ball and it's increasingly this way for women's basketball. Also teams need to win 6 games to win the ncaa tournament for most teams. In Wooden's day, he had to win 4 games to win the title, except his last title where he won 5 games.

At the Bulls game right now. Close one relatively speaking.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:17 am

Okay now I'm back home.

On John Wooden's Wikipedia page, his teams' 88 game winning streak began in the 1970-71 season and ended in the 1973-74 season. Coincidentally, the losses right before the start and the end of the streak were against Notre Dame. In those seasons his teams only played 30 games a year including the NCAA tournament.

So in some respects, Geno Auriemma had it easier to get to 89 straight wins since his teams played 39 games a season, but his teams had to play 6 NCAA tournament games to get to the championship. Wooden only needed four until the 1975 title team had to win five.

I also agree that Geno Auriemma has a very douchebag personality. However, he's a you love him or you hate him kind of guy. If he's on your team, you love him. His players, and the University of Connecticut love him; even Jim Calhoun loves him now and will state that his school's women's basketball program is the best ever. But I think Auriemma just has a driving passion to be the best of the best and it feeds on the guys he brings in.

There's just one more thing I want him to do. Just coach a legit men's team and get to a Final Four. Unless this team also goes undefeated. This team is the least deep of the last three years, and that Baylor game certainly showed it. Winning over 100 games in a row is very hard to do....

I hear the University of Maryland may be interested. They already fired their football coach, and you definitely know that Gary Williams could be next too if his team is mediocre once again in the ACC. His ass was on a real hot seat last few years!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.   Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins. Empty

Back to top Go down

Maya Moore leads Connecticut to 89 straight wins.
Page 1 of 1