Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?

Go down 
+7
Raza
EM:)
Nick C
Darko
Fox News
YS
Abdu
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

Male Posts : 2595

Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  Empty
PostSubject: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 pm

So I was watching the Clipper game last night, and they showed Blake Griffin's stats compared to other top big men's stats... And the only players with slightly better stats were Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard. This got me thinking; is Blake Griffin one of the best big men in the league already? I for one think he is top 5 already. I mean, just look at this kid's stats: 20.7ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, and shooting 53.1%. Now you tell me that isn’t a top 5 big man in the game... And no rookie has averaged 20/10 in a decade; the last rookie to do that was Elton Brand. I wouldn’t be surprise if Blake won roy AND made the all star game. Last player to do that was… Shaq?

Blake Griffin is the definition of Beast, a one-of-a-kind talent that has made the CLIPPERS a team worth watching. Averaging 20/11 shooting 50%+ and leading the league in dunks… Blake is probably the 2nd hardest player (Behind Dwight ofc) to guard in the paint; Due to his combination of strength, explosiveness and aggressiveness. You just can’t guard him 1 on 1 in the paint( Dwight probably can though), he’ll simply blow past you with his speed or overpower you and finish strong at the rim. Facing up from the mid-post, Griffin’s quickness and fluidity makes him an absolute nightmare to try and stay in front of. Even when he gets fouled around the rim, or is unable to simply throw down a powerful dunk, he’s often able to convert regardless thanks to his excellent touch and massive hands.

Now don’t get too caught up in his crazy athleticism and sick dunks, he can do more than that, unlike Amar’e. Griffin has been an absolute monster on the glass, with 11rpg and nearly 8 defensive rebounds per game and is ranked #2 in the NBA in double – doubles. His ball handling is very impressive for a guy 6’10, 250 lbs...He has the ability to grab a defensive rebound, initiate the fast break, and drive hard to the rim where all the opponent can do is foul. When he does that he is basically a 6’10 LeBron James.

Now I already know someone is going to try to bash his defense… Defensively, Griffin relies too much on his physical tools. He often gambles for steals, and gives up position too easily on the block (to avoid fouls?), but there is no doubt in me that he should be able to develop into an excellent defender in time if he wants to thanks to his physical tools, and work ethic. The only part of his game that I don’t like is his free throw shooting. Shooting 50 something percent from the free throw line isn’t going to get it done... But then again I have no doubt in me that he’ll improve his free throw shooting due to his work ethic and winner mentality.

Wait, I almost forgot to talk about his jump shot *face palm*. Blake’s jumper seems to improve every game. He has a nice 10 – 18 ft jumper. . His mechanics are solid, with a nice release and follow-through, and the ability to use the glass in like Duncan. Once he develops a consistent jumper, he will just be ungaurdable.

Now I’ll finally post my top 5 big men of this season. Keep in mind that this list is based solely off of these players’ performance THIS SEASON. So I don’t want to hear any bs about what a guy did last year or through out his career.

My top 5 big men of this season:

1. Pau Gasol – Averaging 20.4 ppg, 12 rpg, 4.0 apg, 2.0 bpg, shooting 53% from the field and 82% from the ft line. Gasol is having his best season by far. He is an mvp candidate for most people and some even go far enough to say he is the mvp of the Lakers right now. When he struggles, LA struggles; which is exactly the case with LA right now.

2. Dwight Howard – Averaging 21.3 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 2.4 bpg, and shooting 58%. Dwight’s offensive game has seen major improvements this season... as he leads ORL to another top seeded season. He’s in the talks for mvp… it was really a toss up between him and Gasol.

3. Dirk Nowitzki - Averaging 25ppg, 8 rpg, shooting 53% from the field, 85% from the ft line, and 37% from 3pt. Dirk is by far the best scoring/shooting big man in the game… having another mvp caliber season. Was kinda tricky putting on here, if this was a top 5 pf list he would probably be ahead of Gasol.

4. Blake Griffin – 20.7ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, and shooting 53.1%. I think talked enough about how good he is lol.

5. Kevin Love – 18.6 ppg, 15 rpg, 43% shooting. The best rebounder in the NBA… he also had a 30/30 game. Nuff said.

Honorable mentions:

Amar’e Stoudemire, Tim Duncan , Chris Bosh, David Lee, Paul Milsap, David West.

So yea... There are only 3 other big men who are “better” than Griffin right now. And If I were starting a franchise I would choose Griffin over all these guys… except for Dwight maybe. But this is all my opinion, I want to hear what you guys think
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Do your jaws hurt?
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 pm

No???
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:36 pm

wow. Such great stamina. Impressive.

Either way....yes Blake's been playing like a monster this year...and he'll get my vote for ROY
But I don't see him making the all-star game.....not because of his game...but I don't think the fans and league will recognize him as one that quickly...
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:41 pm

His defense needs work...but he's good...or whatever...wall is better
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes,he is

I mean,he's playing on a superb level.He's one of the most athletic players in the game,from the start who is one of the best rebounders,inside scorers and by far no one is better than Blake in dunking.

He has the tools to be great.At the defense,he's solid there.He will become great defender,on his man and has the athleticism to hang with other players in the air to challenge their shots out there.

I predict that he will become the best big man in the league at some point thanks to his ability to soar,rebound and dominate.His defense will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Quote :
I wouldn’t be surprise if Blake won roy AND made the all star game. Last player to do that was… Shaq?

A:Tim Duncan.

And no he isn't a top 5 Big.

Griffin is the first (in the paint with no Kaman)/second option on a shitty team. When the Clippers are winning (I mean winning record not like... Hey... the Clips won last night) and he puts up the same numbers with another actual post player get back to me.

I think he'll be Rookie of the Year... I dunno if he makes the All-Star game this year... Maybe the Dunk Contest (which would actually make me watch it) and definitely the Rookie/Sophomore game.

I just don't see him as a Top 5 big right now.

Last edited by Nick C on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:09 pm

PG. WALL
SG. FIELDS Smile
SF. ??? GARY FORBES
PF. GRIFFIN
C. COUSINS/MONROE

Should be the starting 5 for the Rookies v. Sophomores ASG

:p

Turner doing bad this yr...

Last edited by EM That's Fresh on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 pm

@ Nick, who are your top 5 big men?
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:12 pm

EM That's Fresh wrote:
PG. WALL
SG. FIELDS Smile
SF. ??? GARY FORBES
PF. GRIFFIN
C. COUSINS/MONROE

Aminu at SF....No rookie sf's besides him are good this year...
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Oh yeah Aminu is pretty good I like him. Blake Griffin is rising inmy big men ranking list but not top 5 quite yet.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Gasol
Dirk
Amar'e
Noah
Howard

Hell, I'll throw in Duncan too.

Last edited by Nick C on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

YEH! all of them are better!

Now do the john wall! AAYYYYE!

Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  John-wall
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Hmm... That list is aight. But no, you shouldn't put Duncan in there.. My list is based only off of the players' perfomance this season, and Duncan has not been that good this season... Oh shit I think I underated Amar'e. Here is my revised list:

Gasol
Dwight
Dirk
Amar'e
Griffin
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:48 pm

but amare dribbles the ball off his foot like 25 million times a game...
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Like Tony said. He's rising fast and if he can turn the Clips around and keep his numbers up even with Kaman back in the post. Then yeah... as of now, he is one of the top 5 players you have to watch.

Griff is a monster.
Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  Monstar8
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Griffin is a beast

Aminu from the SFs is by far the best.Cannot wait to see the return of another good defensive Small Forward,Warrior's Eke Udoh
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:09 pm

EM That's Fresh wrote:
PG. WALL
SG. FIELDS Smile
SF. ??? GARY FORBES
PF. GRIFFIN
C. COUSINS/MONROE

Imma be hyped for the Rookies v. Sophomores ASG.... Wall + Griffin = Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  579559
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Rebirth™ wrote:
Hmm... That list is aight. But no, you shouldn't put Duncan in there.. My list is based only off of the players' perfomance this season, and Duncan has not been that good this season.

Yeah I'll keep Duncan there.

Plays less than 30 minutes a game and all he does is win games. Spurs keeping his old butt fresh for the playoffs. Yet he is still producing. Spurs without Duncan are a non-playoff team in the West, where a 50 win season doesn't mean you'll be playing past April.

Griff's performances are part no Kaman and part shitty team.

Lemme' see him do it a full season and turn the team around and I'll put Blake on my top 5.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Timmy is playing very efficiently
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Nick C wrote:
Rebirth™ wrote:
Hmm... That list is aight. But no, you shouldn't put Duncan in there.. My list is based only off of the players' perfomance this season, and Duncan has not been that good this season.

Yeah I'll keep Duncan there.

Plays less than 30 minutes a game and all he does is win games. Spurs keeping his old butt fresh for the playoffs. Yet he is still producing. Spurs without Duncan are a non-playoff team in the West, where a 50 win season doesn't mean you'll be playing past April.

Griff's performances are part no Kaman and part shitty team.

Lemme' see him do it a full season and turn the team around and I'll put Blake on my top 5.

It'll be hard for him to turn around such a shitty team.. Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  853558 But ya, he'll do it... just wait.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:09 pm

When you almost score 50 points along with 14 rebounds and 7 assists (damn close to a mosnter triple double) and you still lose to the Knicks...you're not leading the team anywhere.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 pm

no
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Raza wrote:
When you almost score 50 points along with 14 rebounds and 7 assists (damn close to a mosnter triple double) and you still lose to the Knicks...you're not leading the team anywhere.
the knicks arent as laughable anymore so the "still lose to the knicks" point might not be a great one. but if you almost score 50 points, get 14 and 7 and still lose to anybody beside the lakers, magic, celts, heat(?) or spurs... you're not leading the team anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 6:45 pm

He's still a beast though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?    Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Blake Griffin; is he a top big man in the league already?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next