Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Women's Professional Soccer close to folding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Women's Professional Soccer close to folding Empty
PostSubject: Women's Professional Soccer close to folding   Women's Professional Soccer close to folding EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 12:09 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/507126-wps-in-crisis-again-as-two-more-franchises-at-risk-of-folding

A number of WPS teams including the local team in DC, the Washington Freedom are close to folding.

I know that soccer in the US tends to be viewed as more of a women's sport than a men's sport (though that has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years especially), but for whatever reason, women's soccer at least in terms of mass viewing tends to work only with the national team (like the 1999 World Cup team for instance). We had a previous women's pro league, the WUSA, but it folded due to inadequate funding. WPS is in a similar situation. Though I think most of us would ideally like to see women's pro sports prosper, I think the only way WPS could do so is if it is financially backed by a much larger and more stable organization. The WNBA is part of the NBA, and it's the only women's pro league that has been successful since it's been there for now 15 years and they've been able to snag TV contracts and sponsorships with the help of their big brother. Maybe MLS should buy and back WPS since it is a more stable organization?

Also WPS like the WNBA in its early days just focused on being in large markets. That doesn't always work when you have to compete against the MLB, NHL, MLS, NBA, NHL and of course, the WNBA which all play during the WPS season. The WNBA has moved some teams into markets where it's the ONLY major pro team at least for its sport, like Connecticut and Tulsa (Seattle was by semi accident) and teams have been holding their own there. Maybe WPS should do more of the same.
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ

Women's Professional Soccer close to folding
Page 1 of 1