Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is this your best PF of All-Time?

Go down 
+10
Darko
BNB
Chosen One
cbi
No Longer DEAD
Abdu
Raza
KD35
Nick C
Chris
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

Is this your best PF of All-Time? Empty
PostSubject: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 7:57 am

2002-2003
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii10
1st Championship for Spurs w/o Robinson, Duncan is clearly playing at PF more, but 34% at C? Questionable. Also it seems like the Spurs are playing better when Duncan is playing at C.

2004-2004
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii11
Timmy is still trying to figure out his position w/o Robinson, from 11% the difference now is 9%. And he really dominates there. Better off rating, d rating, net pts, win pct and everything.

2004-2005
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii12
2nd Championship for Spurs and guess what??He played at C more even though the difference is small. Stats look better at PF but in less time.

2005-2006
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii13
The only season Duncan is clearly playing at PF more, but he still plays at C alot. Not to Mention a stacked C position with Nazr, Rasho and Sean.

2006-2007
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii14
The year that Spurs won the 3rd w/o Robinson and Duncan is clearly playing at C, coincidence? I don't think so. 30% Difference, actually he clearly dominated there with a 71% win pct. nuff said.

2007-2008
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii15
PF?No fucking way. Spurs maybe didn't have many Centers but they never looked for one. It's clear that they always considered Duncan as their true Center.

2008-2009
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii16
Same story here, if Duncan was really a true PF they would've looked for a true C, no brainer.

2009-2010
Is this your best PF of All-Time? Isiiii17
huh?0%?Now that's what is. Even if they had few true C's it's weird. McDyess, Duncan and Ratliff.
------------------

So a player that has played half of his career C and actually more total minutes at C than PF is the best PF of All-Time.
Not to Mention that at C he does everything better and there is where he actually does his thing.

Let the FLAME begin!
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:01 am

Where is Duncan listed at in every All-NBA team?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_league.html
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

Nick C wrote:
Where is Duncan listed at in every All-NBA team?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_league.html
Yeah right so Dirk is a C, Stouda C, T-Mac F,Pierce G and i didn't even check much.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:48 pm

What are you talking about? Dirk is listed as a F not once as a C. T-Mac is a swing man so he played SF and G and Piece isn't even listed as a G, but again as a swingman he has played SG before.

And yes Amar'e is listed as a C because Marion played PF for Phoenix... Really only when Shaq showed up and with Robin Lopez did Amar'e not play center for Phoenix.

The point I'm making is that what you're indicating isn't unknown.

Everyone knows that Duncan is a PF/C... and that he plays a lot of center on defense and usually PF on offense.

But he is listed as a PF on every All-Star ballot and on every All-NBA team. You also didn't include his first five years in the league in which he played PF to Robinson' playing at center.

So in the books... even with many authors saying "he's more of a center" he will go down in the NBA history books as a PF.

Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Duncan only plays center when the Spurs need him to. He usually defends the other team's tallest player which would usually be the center.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Nick C wrote:
Everyone knows that Duncan is a PF/C... and that he plays a lot of center on defense and usually PF on offense.

But he is listed as a PF on every All-Star ballot and on every All-NBA team. You also didn't include his first five years in the league in which he played PF to Robinson' playing at center.

So in the books... even with many authors saying "he's more of a center" he will go down in the NBA history books as a PF.

^^^

Oh and Garnett isn't the best PF in NBA history, because I'm 99% sure that's the only reason you're making this thread.
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Nick C wrote:
What are you talking about? Dirk is listed as a F not once as a C. T-Mac is a swing man so he played SF and G and Piece isn't even listed as a G, but again as a swingman he has played SG before.

And yes Amar'e is listed as a C because Marion played PF for Phoenix... Really only when Shaq showed up and with Robin Lopez did Amar'e not play center for Phoenix.

The point I'm making is that what you're indicating isn't unknown.

+1
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Raza wrote:
Nick C wrote:

^^^

Oh and Garnett isn't the best PF in NBA history, because I'm 99% sure that's the only reason you're making this thread.

Haha, yeah, this is definitely a thread made about Garnett. Let me tell you something, Chris. It could be argued that Garnett, player wise, is the better player. He has a better jumpshot, he's a better passer, in his prime was a better rebounder. But no way in hell is he a better winner than Duncan is. Not many people are. Garnett didn't even get to the Finals until his washed up ass came to Boston. Duncan had won 4 titles before that. Sure Garnett didn't have the teammates Duncan did, but Garnett had Sam Cassell in his prime, Stephon Marbury in his prime, etc. I'll tell ya, some of Garnett's teams were actually talented enough to go far in the playoffs. They didn't.

And it's funny, because you bring up how Duncan has played more Center. From those charts you showed, it was really only 3 or 4 seasons that he's played significantly more minutes at C than PF, and that's because San Antonio doesn't have anyone who can play C besides him. McDyess is washed up. Blair is still young. But as Nick said, Duncan plays like a PF on offense and like a C on defense. When Duncan retires, you could ask any current NBA coach and they'll say Tim Duncan is the prototypical PF. He does everything right, and the thing is, he's done it for so long. Duncan's still putting up numbers that he was in his rookie year. And when it comes down to who was the better player at the end of their careers, I think the fair assessment would be that Garnett was the better player statistically, but Duncan is the better winner, better teammate, and overall, the man who represents the Power Forward position the most.

/end rant
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:09 pm

It's because Duncan is the most fundamentally perfect (idk what other word to use) player in the NBA. The moves he is doing now are the same moves he was doing 10 years ago. He sticks to what he should do. He has the post moves, he has (well had) the defense, he has the bank shot, he has the timing for rebounds. Garnett relied on his athleticism a lot more than Duncan when they were young, and that is why Duncan still puts up great performances. Duncan just hit his career low in PPG with 18. Garnett just averaged 14 last year, 16 before that, and 17 in his second year in the league (played enough minutes to get those numbers). It's because back then, Garnett was using his young athletic body to do a lot for him. Duncan just does what the textbook big man should do, and that is why he is still putting up those numbers, while K.G. is slipping.

Oh, and Duncan is a PF yadda yadda yadda
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:13 pm

You mean fundamentally sound?
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks Very Happy
Duncan is the most fundamentally sound player :cherry:
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Duncan can pretty much play center just as good as PF cause of his size.....that being said I still dont get ur point. If the man can play 2 positions extremely effectively doesnt that give him an even better reason to be a better player than another certain player who is even taller than him, cant play center as affectively and wears number 5 for boston
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Guys are u fucking kidding me?
I make a thread and someone will probably say i do it to praise a X player.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm

You obviously are pretty obsessed with KG. You cant act all offended, you brought it upon yourself bud.
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:10 pm

No Longer DEAD wrote:
Raza wrote:
Nick C wrote:

^^^

Haha, yeah, this is definitely a thread made about Garnett. Let me tell you something, Chris. It could be argued that Garnett, player wise, is the better player. He has a better jumpshot, he's a better passer, in his prime was a better rebounder. But no way in hell is he a better winner than Duncan is. Not many people are. Garnett didn't even get to the Finals until his washed up ass came to Boston. Duncan had won 4 titles before that. Sure Garnett didn't have the teammates Duncan did, but Garnett had Sam Cassell in his prime, Stephon Marbury in his prime, etc. I'll tell ya, some of Garnett's teams were actually talented enough to go far in the playoffs. They didn't.

And it's funny, because you bring up how Duncan has played more Center. From those charts you showed, it was really only 3 or 4 seasons that he's played significantly more minutes at C than PF, and that's because San Antonio doesn't have anyone who can play C besides him. McDyess is washed up. Blair is still young. But as Nick said, Duncan plays like a PF on offense and like a C on defense. When Duncan retires, you could ask any current NBA coach and they'll say Tim Duncan is the prototypical PF. He does everything right, and the thing is, he's done it for so long. Duncan's still putting up numbers that he was in his rookie year. And when it comes down to who was the better player at the end of their careers, I think the fair assessment would be that Garnett was the better player statistically, but Duncan is the better winner, better teammate, and overall, the man who represents the Power Forward position the most.

/end rant
u serius?
The 1st paragraph wasn't necessary thanks.
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:12 pm

cbi wrote:
You obviously are pretty obsessed with KG. You cant act all offended, you brought it upon yourself bud.
lol, did i say something about KG here?Im debating something that is probably debated at every forum, or just because it's me it's supposed to be for KG or Rondo?
And yes, i saw that thread on another forum.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:14 pm

When its you, it usually is because of KG or Rondo. Sorry to say it :/
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Chris wrote:

Actually I didn't. I was just arguing your idea that Duncan is a center and not a power forward.

But you do have some major KG man love. Don't take it personal. I do the same thing about Magic Johnson... it's why I'm HIV positive.

But people will come to their own conclusions because of previous conversations.

Last edited by Nick C on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

I lold
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 pm

No Longer DEAD wrote:

But no way in hell is he a better winner than Duncan is. Not many people are. Garnett didn't even get to the Finals until his washed up ass came to Boston. Duncan had won 4 titles before that. Sure Garnett didn't have the teammates Duncan did, but Garnett had Sam Cassell in his prime, Stephon Marbury in his prime, etc. I'll tell ya, some of Garnett's teams were actually talented enough to go far in the playoffs. They didn't.

i don't think it's fair to compare KG and Duncan when it comes to winning. Yeah, that's a factor.. but c'mon..

KG played in Minny for crying out loud... one of the shittiest Franchises out there. The best coach he played for is really overrated [flip saunders] imo.. Sam cassell played in MIN for 2 years.. 1 of those years they made it to the WCF. The only other decent player on that team was Sprewell. Marbury was there for a couple of years then bailed.

Duncan has been coached by one of the best coaches ever and has played with some amazing players for more than 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Nick C wrote:
Chris wrote:

Actually I didn't. I was just arguing your idea that Duncan is a center and not a power forward.

But you do have some major KG man love. Don't take it personal. I do the same thing about Magic Johnson... it's why I'm HIV positive.

But people will come to their own conclusions because of previous conversations.
Yup i know u argued. Everyone else was too bussy figuring out why i'm making a thread about Duncan.

I really like KG from his t-wolves days when i didn't knew much about NBA.

Just lol.
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:25 pm

cbi wrote:
When its you, it usually is because of KG or Rondo. Sorry to say it :/
I guess i'm not making any new threads then..Not like it will hurt u or smth..
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Tim Duncan is the greatest Power Forward in the NBA History.He's also fundamentally most sound player and most consistent player of all time
Back to top Go down
Snow.
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Snow.

Male Posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Chris wrote:
Nick C wrote:
Chris wrote:

Yup i know u argued. Everyone else was too bussy figuring out why i'm making a thread about Duncan.

I really like KG from his t-wolves days when i didn't knew much about NBA.

Just lol.

hey look at it this way...
back in kgs prime he was one of the most exciting players in the nba, like the lebron james of 2004 on a shit team in a small market yeah you can argue he had Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell and Stephon Marbury, but all those players left after like 2 years he never had a consisten team look at the Spurs... Parker, Ginobli and Duncan have stayed together like glue for the past 5+ years... Spurs singlehandedly killed the NBA with making the finals and making them the most boring-est finals (if thats a word)...

The sweep against Cleveland is the lowest nba finals tv ratings of all time
and if the knicks werent in the 99' finals that would of been worst
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Chris didn't make this thread for KG. NOTHING relates to KG in his first post other than "PF". I make a thread about discrediting Yao or Bynum, because I want to show Howard is the best C?

You guys are making it seem like nobody can discredit anyone who plays the same position are your fave player.

And just saying, Duncan is better than KG, but KG's still close.

Better defense, no doubt.
Offensively, Garnett had a better jumper and similar post moves in his prime.
Duncan is a better rebounder tho.
As a teammate KG REFUSED to leave Minnesota until he made sure EVERYONE who is close to the Timberwolves knew he wasn't bailing out. Idt anyone else has done that. And yeah, TD has never left SA but he doesn't love his team as much as KG does. Nobody does. lol.
Duncan plays smarter, too.

Idk, Duncan's better, but it can still be argued.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this your best PF of All-Time?   Is this your best PF of All-Time? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this your best PF of All-Time?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next