Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What's the best defensive team in the NBA?

Go down 
+8
Chris
Saeed
Nick C
J
cbi
Fox News
Raza
Darko
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

You know the title,just vote on the poll
Orlando Magic
What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_lcap13%What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Los Angeles Lakers
What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_lcap13%What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Boston Celtics
What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_lcap53%What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_rcap
 53% [ 8 ]
Denver Nuggets
What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_lcap0%What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_lcap20%What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Empty
PostSubject: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Defense wins championships

This is very famous quote which has been proved dozens and dozens of time....

You cannot win playoff games,series and titles without any serious defense,so which team's defense tops anyones offense every time they face?

Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Charlotte Bobcats.

They held their opponent to the least amount of points in the league last year, with 93.8

No explanation needed.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Orlando. Best inside defense..team with the most layups win.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Raza wrote:
Charlotte Bobcats.

They held their opponent to the least amount of points in the league last year, with 93.8

No explanation needed.

This.

PS you gave an explanation lol
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 pm

cbi wrote:
This.

PS you gave an explanation lol

Eh..that's true.. What's the best defensive team in the NBA? 67163

No further details needed***
Back to top Go down
J
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
J

Male Posts : 2286

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 10:16 pm

The Nuggets?

Right now it's probably Los Angeles. Defense wins championships. Who's won the last two championships? Artest, Odom, Bryant, Bynum... yeah I've convinced myself
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Charlotte statistically.

Boston realistically.

Lakers are good defensive team, but also a potent offense saves them.

Charlotte literally has no choice but to be a defensive team because they struggle with offense. Plus, when you have Larry Brown as the coach you'll have a very tight defensive team.

Boston struggles on offense at times, but they are to me the best defensive team in the league.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Defense is not letting your opponent score on you, whether it be by jumper, three pointer, layup, free throw, dunk, all that stuff. If the Bobcats shut down their opponent enough so that they allow the least amount of points per game, they do the best job on defense.

The reason the Bobcats seem so bad is because they struggle at offense. They are third-to-last in the NBA in team points per game. However, that has nothing to do with their defense. I guarentee you if the Bobcats were playoff threats/championship threats ALONG with allowing the least PPG from their opponent, you would all be saying it's the Bobcats. They get no recognition for being the best defensive team because they're not a great team.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Raza wrote:
Defense is not letting your opponent score on you, whether it be by jumper, three pointer, layup, free throw, dunk, all that stuff. If the Bobcats shut down their opponent enough so that they allow the least amount of points per game, they do the best job on defense.

The reason the Bobcats seem so bad is because they struggle at offense. They are third-to-last in the NBA in team points per game. However, that has nothing to do with their defense. I guarentee you if the Bobcats were playoff threats/championship threats ALONG with allowing the least PPG from their opponent, you would all be saying it's the Bobcats. They get no recognition for being the best defensive team because they're not a great team.

Charlotte 93.8

Boston 95.6

2 point difference. Whoa... blow me over.

aBoston killed Charlotte

104-80

108-90

92-59

So much for that defense.

Quote :
I guarentee you if the Bobcats were playoff threats/championship threats ALONG with allowing the least PPG from their opponent, you would all be saying it's the Bobcats. They get no recognition for being the best defensive team because they're not a great team.

That makes no sense. That was pretty much what everyone talked about when Charlotte played anyone, was that they were a great defensive team. So I don't know what yer talking about.

I picked the Celtics... why is that such a big deal?

Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 pm

Nick C wrote:

Charlotte 93.8

Boston 95.6

2 point difference. Whoa... blow me over.

aBoston killed Charlotte

104-80

108-90

92-59

So much for that defense.
-------------------------------------------------------

That makes no sense. That was pretty much what everyone talked about when Charlotte played anyone, was that they were a great defensive team. So I don't know what yer talking about.

I picked the Celtics... why is that such a big deal?

1 is a number. 3 is a number clearly higher than 1. 3 is 2 numbers higher than 1. Is 3 still higher than 1?

Ok so Boston beat the Bobcats 3 times...yay? The Bobcats still allowed less points from their opponents throughout the season
------------------------------------------------------------------

If it's all that was talked about, why have there been 3 other teams mentioned? I really don't see a way around it...Charlotte played the best defense on their opponents throughout the season. Therefore Charlotte is the best defensive team...

It's not a big deal, but I just figured that if I have views on something and you have different views on something, I should try to convince you that my views are better (lol that came out wrong but I don't know how else to word it..sorry). That's just normal debate?

Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 am

Quote :
1 is a number. 3 is a number clearly higher than 1. 3 is 2 numbers higher than 1. Is 3 still higher than 1?

WTF? Uh... okay.
Quote :
k so Boston beat the Bobcats 3 times...yay? The Bobcats still allowed less points from their opponents throughout the season

By two points. Again. Wow. Not enough of a difference to make me feel otherwise and it's pretty easy to just look up who allowed the least amount of points in the season and declare them the best defensive team.

Rather I looked up almost everything.

BOS vs. Playoff teams

CHA vs. Playoff teams

BOS vs. Top 8 in the east

CHA vs. Top 8 in east

BOS vs. Top 8 in west

CHA vs. Top 8 in west

BOS vs. .500 teams

CHA vs .500 teams

BOA vs. sub .500 teams

CHA vs. sub .500 teams

Quote :
If it's all that was talked about, why have there been 3 other teams mentioned? I really don't see a way around it...Charlotte played the best defense on their opponents throughout the season. Therefore Charlotte is the best defensive team...

Because Darko didn't include Charlotte? I dunno... I didn't even pay attention to the poll or what other people wrote till after I posted.

Quote :
It's not a big deal, but I just figured that if I have views on something and you have different views on something, I should try to convince you that my views are better (lol that came out wrong but I don't know how else to word it..sorry). That's just normal debate?

Um... yeah...

No.

Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 1:07 am

You can bring up all those playoff stats...but still the Bobcats allowed the least amount of points per game. I really just don't see anything besides that...
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 4:53 am

Orlando, Boston, or Los Angeles. Only 3 teams that can guard all 5 positions at a high level, and still being able to have amazing help defense (Orlando: Dwight, LA: Gasol, Boston: Garnett) on every play.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am

I say Orlando
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 7:19 am

Raza wrote:
You can bring up all those playoff stats...but still the Bobcats allowed the least amount of points per game. I really just don't see anything besides that...
These stats he posted aint in the Play-Offs they are vs Play-Off teams.
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

Male Posts : 3758

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 am

I extremely agree with the defense wins championships quote. Remember, everyone in the league is pro, they can score. Defense will only win the game.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 4:09 am

All the games between the Lakers, Celtics, Magic, and Bobcats in Points Allowed.

Lakers:
Gave up 92 points vs Orlando First Meeting
Gave up 89 points vs Boston First Meeting
Gave up 97 points vs Charlotte First Meeting
Gave up 86 points vs Boston Second Meeting
Gave up 98 points vs Charlotte Second Meeting
Gave up 96 points vs Orlando Second Meeting
Finals vs Boston:
89, 103, 84, 96, 92, 67, 79

Celtics:
Gave up 59 points vs Charlotte First Meeting
Gave up 83 points vs Orlando First Meeting
Gave up 90 points vs Charlotte Second Meeting
Gave up 77 points vs Orlando Second Meeting
Gave up 96 points vs Orlando Third Meeting
Gave up 90 points vs Los Angeles First Meeting
Gave up 96 points vs Orlando Fourth Meeting
Gave up 86 points vs Los Angeles Second Meeting
Gave up 80 points vs Charlotte Third Meeting
Play-offs vs Orlando:
88, 92, 71, 92, 113, 84
Finals vs Los Angeles:
102, 94, 91, 89, 86, 89, 83

Magic:
Gave up 81 points vs Charlotte First Meeting
Gave up 91 points vs Charlotte Second Meeting
Gave up 78 points vs Boston First Meeting
Gave up 86 points vs Boston Second Meeting
Gave up 98 points vs Los Angeles First Meeting
Gave up 95 points vs Charlotte Third Meeting
Gave up 94 points vs Boston Third Meeting
Gave up 89 points vs Boston Fourth Meeting
Gave up 94 points vs Los Angeles Second Meeting
Gave up 96 points vs Charlotte Fourth Meeting
Play-offs vs Charlotte
89, 77, 86, 90
Play-offs vs Boston:
92, 95, 94, 92, 92, 96

Charlotte:
Gave up 92 points vs Boston First Meeting
Gave up 93 points vs Orlando First Meeting
Gave up 97 points vs Orlando Second Meeting
Gave up 108 points vs Boston Second Meeting
Gave up 99 points vs Los Angeles First Meeting
Gave up 104 points vs Boston Third Meeting
Gave up 83 points vs Los Angeles
Gave up 89 points vs Orlando Third Meeting
Play-offs vs Magic:
98, 92, 90, 99

I'll do the averages later, but isn't it weird how Charlotte has the least amount of games counted, yet they tie for the most games over 100 out of these four? Or how they only let under 90 twice and one of them was even 89? Or how they have 5 games allowing at least 98, while LA has only 2, and Orlando and Boston have 1?

Raza you brought up Points Allowed Per Game.
So here they are.
Gtfo with Charlotte having the best defense in the NBA.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:23 am

wtffff... confused.
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 am

The Thuner!

No.

Really.

I'm serious.
Back to top Go down
Stefan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Stefan

Male Posts : 940

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Orlando Magic in my opinion they have great Defenders at the Centers position with Howard (DPOY) and Marcin Gortat but they are good team defenders too and the best inside defenders in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:06 pm

All these teams have had great defensive centers to anchor the defense. The Thunder have Nenad Kristic.
Back to top Go down
Stefan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Stefan

Male Posts : 940

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 4:45 pm

dwanye wrote:
All these teams have had great defensive centers to anchor the defense. The Thunder have Nenad Kristic.

yes they have Nenad Kristic who isn;t well defender,he is good but he isn't better then Orlando 's Howard,Laker's Bynom and Celtics Perkins.
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:10 pm

i know..

y point is.the thunder are one of the best defensive teams in the nba without a real man in the middle who can anchor the d.

Did you know opposing SF's do worse against the Thunder than they do against any other team offensively?
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:12 pm

I think its possible thats because they get so tired chasing around durant all the time, not necisarrily that durant is an amazing defensive sf or anything.
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 pm

that's truee lolll

just saying...

and we have some pretty good individual defenders:

Thabo
Westbrook
Green
Ibaka

to a much lesser extent Durant loll
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the best defensive team in the NBA?   What's the best defensive team in the NBA? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the best defensive team in the NBA?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next