Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...

Go down 
+7
cbi
Chris
Darko
Tar Heel
Fox News
Janet
BNB
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 8:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

WOW!

The last game in a series [unless there is only 1 game] always has the most viewers. Even in a sweep. So I was curious and wanted to see how many viewers each championship game had.

Superbowl 2010 Colts Vs. Saints- 106 million viewers. Most ever for any show on TV in US history.

NBA finals 2010 game 7 Lakers Vs. Celtics- 28.2 million viewers. Most since 1998.

Stanley Cup 2010 game 6 Flyers Vs. BLACKHAWKS- 8.2 million viewers. Most viewers the NHL has had in 36 years.

BCS National Championship 2010 Alabama Vs. TEXAS- 30.8 million viewers. Most since 2006 and second most since 1991.

2010 Final Four Butler Vs. Duke- At least 48 million viewers tuned in. Most in 5 years.

2009 World Series Game 6 Yankees Vs. Phillies- 22.3 Million viewers. Most since 2004.

So what we got from that is Americans love football...a lot, the great Celtics/Lakers Rivalry that went 7 games couldn't get more viewers than 2 Alabama/Texas and Duke/Butler, baseball is a dying sport, and Americans really don't like hockey.

I'm just shocked that the next closest to the superbowl in terms of viewers is the Butler/Duke game... and it's by 60 million viewers..
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 am

are those just american views or worldwide views?

because the super bowl is actually pretty popular around the whole world. hockey gets a lot of views from canada
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 am

Superskunk wrote:
No..I mean the reals man game..I find soccer extremly boring.

I don't care if it's the World Cup, I find soccer to be the most boring sport to watch. I'd rather watch golf...or billiards.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Football... both of them... just don't do anything for me.

I'd rather watch American football instead of the sport that actually requires you to use a foot and a ball.

I even sat through two whole games to see if I could get into it. I don't get the exciting part of it.

I think the reason for the ratings difference is because the NFL football playoffs/NCAA playoffs/WORLD CUP (I might be mistaken) are kinda one and done deals or close to (again I don't know soccer well enough). So the tension is built up as it can go either way. Every game is a deciding game.

In NBA basketball, hockey and baseball, a team has multiple chances to change a series. People can waver one way other the other or like me have work mess up your chance to watch a game live. I think it dilutes the impact of a single game.

I think with the above mentioned sports you can tune in or miss a game or two and still be alright. Whereas it's the opposite for the world cup, Superbowl and so on...

Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Grown men cracking each other upside the head hundreds of times isn't exciting?
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Superskunk wrote:
Grown men cracking each other upside the head hundreds of times isn't exciting?

No... I like it. I just fell out of football a long time ago. Now I'm so behind with players and teams that I don't really have any interest.

There are parts of both sports that are cool in highlights. Who doesn't like seeing a receiver nailed by the safety and drop the ball from impact? ... or a kickoff return for a touchdown? ... or a footballer going through a bunch of players and scoring a goal in soccer?. but it's always highlights I'll watch and not the whole game.

But overall it doesn't make me want to watch the Superbowl or many NFL games.
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Soccer is boring to me. Can't really explain, it just bores me. Occasionally I can watch a good game of men's soccer, but most of the time I lose interest very quickly. American football is good, though. But I'm in the minority there; I like college football much more than the NFL. In the NFL, I don't really have a team I root for, I just check up on my favorite players from college and see how they're doing. Or there'll be a player I really like (i.e. Peyton Manning) and I root for his team if I'm flipping around and see the Colts playing. Other than that, though...meh. I imagine I'll like college football even more when when some sort of playoff system is finally enacted.
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

CAguyofftoUNC wrote:
Soccer is boring to me. Can't really explain, it just bores me. Occasionally I can watch a good game of men's soccer, but most of the time I lose interest very quickly. American football is good, though. But I'm in the minority there; I like college football much more than the NFL. In the NFL, I don't really have a team I root for, I just check up on my favorite players from college and see how they're doing. Or there'll be a player I really like (i.e. Peyton Manning) and I root for his team if I'm flipping around and see the Colts playing. Other than that, though...meh. I imagine I'll like college football even more when when some sort of playoff system is finally enacted.

hahahahahhaa. LA doesn't have a football (American) team. hahahahaha

LOOOOOOOOSERS

or should I say...

LASERS

no no...that was bad. But still. hahahahha
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Don't worry Ben, we'll have the Jaguars soon. But even then, I'll just root for them out of tradition, not because I follow the NFL.

...eh? Razz
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Well, same for me..American Football is boring..I cant stand watching it for more than 5secs.
That doesnt meean it isnt interesting or w/e.

Still, Soccer is the best sport ever.
Im not the one who says it cuz i like Basketball more and i find it 5 times more exciting than Soccer.
Back to top Go down
J.Rasheed
College Baller
College Baller

Female Posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Basketball FTW Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...   Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Obviously Football is America's fav. sport but...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2