Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount

Go down 
+6
No Longer DEAD
Raza
brownie13
cbi
Straight Edge Bluntness
King Of NJ
10 posters
AuthorMessage
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount Empty
PostSubject: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:22 pm

I think they should set an amount of bad calls or biased calls a ref is allowed to make in any sport.

I think the more they go over that number the more they get suspended without pay or fined.

It's terrible to see some teams get robbed in sports and officiating doesn't always win the game but it plays a humungous role and could change certain aspects of the game

Its the teams jobs to win it but it would prevent fixes and riggs on many games.
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 pm

But then how would you define a "bad call" - only the commissioner of a sports league can determine that. And because the commissioner has that sort of power - he/she may not perceive certain calls as "bad" and ignore it.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm

they need to have a neutrel source. I think a coach should watch the game and keep track the amount of calls he finds to be bad calls and than sends it into the league

btw Im saying this should go for all sports not just the NBA
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:40 pm

I think they should appoint an official "call evaluator" of some sorts to determine whether a call is fair or unjust. I hear in the NFL (from Nenad) that the coaches can challenge calls sometimes if they feel it is unfair.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:42 pm

SRF: Go Spurs Go! wrote:
I think they should appoint an official "call evaluator" of some sorts to determine whether a call is fair or unjust. I hear in the NFL (from Nenad) that the coaches can challenge calls sometimes if they feel it is unfair.

Yep coaches are able to challenge calls in the NFL. And they review it to see if it's fair or unfair.

I agree with the call evaluator
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:20 pm

No
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm

i know they do something in the mlb, but they shouldn't do anything more for any other league. i don't like the idea of holding a ref accountable for every uncertain call. complaints are different, but rating them on a call by call basis just isn't a good idea.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:31 pm

you make a good point. I know there are mistakes and people are human.

I think if a games is oddly called and there are alot of complaints about than they should look into it
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm

I dont like taking the human element out of every sport. Refs are there to be unbiased and just make the calls. Some ppl are corrupted but the vast majority of them call a foul or a penalty because it IS a foul or a penalty.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:47 pm

yes I understand that it's better than having robots and computers do it and human element is better but theres been many games where officiating has been one sided

and sometimes calls that go one way don't always go the other
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 pm

That's like fining a player for turning the ball over.
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Raza wrote:
That's like fining a player for turning the ball over.

Not if the calls are intentional
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Who's to judge if a call is biased? The refs? They're the ones officiating the games. They won't give another ref a penalty for giving a bad call...a bad call is something all the refs agree on, and while it may not be the fairest thing ever, it's their choice to make the calls and its ours to decide if its a bad call or not. "Ours" being from the fan perspective. Yet, fans don't really have the power to overturn a call so...there's really no point for creating a rule like that.
Back to top Go down
FC
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
FC

Male Posts : 822

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I agree, no, refs are human
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 am

No...get rid of officials...call your own fouls
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:35 pm

Stephswagger wrote:

Duncan and Kobe would get 24532753453483748 free throws a game, lmao.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Raza wrote:
Stephswagger wrote:

Nah I know what he's saying. That's pretty much streetball lol
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 pm

King Of NJ wrote:
Nah I know what he's saying. That's pretty much streetball lol

Yeah, and Duncan and Kobe tend to argue a lot of no-calls...so they would call a foul every time they get touched haha
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:52 pm

thatd be hilarious if they made it like streetball. There'd be alot of arguments and it'd be hilarious

you'd be able to call out travels and stuff too
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Raza wrote:
Stephswagger wrote:

Laughing LOL!

Soooo true!
Those men complain ALOT
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:10 pm

That would be awefully tough to do.

I mean...then fans would start complaining that David Stern (or someother organization) isn't fining certain refs cuz he's (they're) biased!
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 8:28 am

King Of NJ wrote:
I think they should set an amount of bad calls or biased calls a ref is allowed to make in any sport.

I think the more they go over that number the more they get suspended without pay or fined.

It's terrible to see some teams get robbed in sports and officiating doesn't always win the game but it plays a humungous role and could change certain aspects of the game

Its the teams jobs to win it but it would prevent fixes and riggs on many games.

I don't think there should be limits for "bad calls" in any sports for officials in any sport. Doing so would allow the refs who aren't trying to be consummate pros to intentionally screw up games without getting punished.

And generally, well over most of the time on calls or non-calls that can go "either way", the refs had it right. I know that they are tending to give more freedom to sexier teams (Cavs, Lakers, Magic) than the pariahs (Clippers, Wolves, Warriors) and sexy stars (LeBron, Kobe, Dwight) will tend to get more leeway, but even then, most of the time, the refs didn't make a wrong call or non-call when a play could go "either way".
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount   Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount Empty

Back to top Go down

Should they keep track of bad or biased calls and suspended and fine refs if they exceed an amount
Page 1 of 1