Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Toronto Raptors downfall?

Go down 
+4
Darko
Straight Edge Bluntness
No Longer DEAD
Rush
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

Male Posts : 3758

Toronto Raptors downfall? Empty
PostSubject: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 pm

It just doesn't make sense how a team that seemed destined for fifth is now life and death for the playoffs. They have won eight of their last 26 games. Is this a collapse?

No.

Let's go back to the good book, about building a castle on sand or on stone. Clearly, the elements of this team did not jell. Chris Bosh played very well but there is some suspicion that he became less team oriented after the all-star break. When you bench Hedo Turkoglu your $10 million free agent because of prolonged periods of indifference, you have a massive problem. I have maintained this for years...chemistry matters more in basketball because it is a game of duelling extremes: selfishness against team. The balance in this game is hair thin and because of injuries, money and human nature it is a moving target. If the Raptors don't make the playoffs it's not because they didn't have the right players. It's because they didn't have the right people.

Thoughts on this? Sorry for the story book, but it's just getting me mad that I have been seeing Toronto fail for the past two seasons..

I wrote this last night, when Bobcats were losing and Raps were owning Knicks.
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Basketball is a team sport. The Toronto Raptors are a basketball team. Maybe we should call them just a basketball, because they certainly haven't emphasized "team" in their system. In the two full games I've seen them play, I've seen minimal ball movement and terrible coaching decisions. Those two things will get you out of the playoffs.

But that's why Toronto didn't make it. I'll tell you why they didn't make it. It's a little thing called basketball symetry. Basketball symetry is simple: To be a successful basketball team, you have to have balance (which you talked about) on all 3 elements of the game: offence, defense, and team chemistry. When one of these elements don't exist, your team is gonna have problems. The Toronto Raptors did not have basketball symetry, and that's what has screwed them over.

I just made that shit up. Go me.
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Eff Ben wrote:
Basketball is a team sport. The Toronto Raptors are a basketball team. Maybe we should call them just a basketball, because they certainly haven't emphasized "team" in their system. In the two full games I've seen them play, I've seen minimal ball movement and terrible coaching decisions. Those two things will get you out of the playoffs.

But that's why Toronto didn't make it. I'll tell you why they didn't make it. It's a little thing called basketball symetry. Basketball symetry is simple: To be a successful basketball team, you have to have balance (which you talked about) on all 3 elements of the game: offence, defense, and team chemistry. When one of these elements don't exist, your team is gonna have problems. The Toronto Raptors did not have basketball symetry, and that's what has screwed them over.

I just made that shit up. Go me.

Epic win right there!
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Straight up; most of the roster is lazy and unmotivated at times.

I swear, if it wasn't for Jack or Bosh's determination in some games when the Raps were down, they would have lost a lot more games than they did this season. And Benny boy said it too; no team chemistry. Like there is some chemistry between certain players; but as a whole, the team dynamic was not completely there. And crappy coaching too - Triano is as soft as a baby's bottom when it comes to coaching the Raps.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 6:02 am

The Raptors are great team but since the All-Star Break they have fallen...
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Raptors suck..
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Don't throw stones at glass houses Visa! :p
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 pm

The Toronto Raptors downfall started a long time ago, when they let go of VC
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:11 pm

If you guys actually think letting go of VC is the reason for their downfall, then you do not know much about the Raptors. It has nothing to do with VC; in fact, he was a liability to the team at one point...
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 pm

It has everything to do with VC...there losers and will always be losers because they let him go..
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Uh no.
The problem is the GM; who is greatly obsessed with European basketball which doesn't work. He isn't defensive minded at it...and focuses more on offense. You don't even watch as much Raptor games compared to me...so how would you know?

If you remember, VC was throwing games and half-assing it on the court...so what is the Raps organization supposed to do? Keep him around and let him continue to hinder their progress or trade him and try to start fresh?

The Raps GM is the main problem and he needs to go or at least change his vision for the Raps (all offense, no defense Euro style). Unless that happens, the Raptors are gonna continue down the road of mediocrity.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 pm

"You don't even watch as much Raptor games compared to me" you dont watch as many Wizards games but yo still have an opinion on them...
they gave up VC for NOTHING...NOTHING. They did im wrong and were throwing him under the bus..thats why he was throwing games and half assing..
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:30 pm

See, that was the GM's decision to give up VC for nothing.
If they made a smarter trade and traded him for valuable players...they could have done better as a team. Management threw VC under the bus? How? and if they did, it was prolly because VC wasn't putting forth any effort into winning games to begin with.

and my opinions on the Wizards is limited because I do not know much about them as you do; but when it comes to the team...I often trust your and wiz's opinion of them since you guys actually live in Washington and watch their games on a frequent basis.
Back to top Go down
EM:)
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Right now SRF (the last couple of games of the season anyways) their starting line is as followed...

PG. SHAUN LIVINGSTON
SG. NICK YOUNG
SF. MIKE MILLER
PF. ANDRAY BLATCHE
C. FABRICIO OBERTO
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Oberto!
I miss that dude, lol.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Oberto is a workhorse
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:41 pm

They made rob babcock GM when Vince carter said "Hell no" to the idea. He wanted jack mccloskey fired,they refused, he wanted jim kelly fired,they refused ...they basically said : "vince we dont care what you want"
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 7:47 pm

It doesn't matter - you don't let your feelings towards the GM impact your play on the court.

Colangelo made a crapload of stupid decisions; but Bosh, still played his heart out each game and did not take out his frustrations with Colangelo's stupidity affect how he played on the court.

and yeah Tony; I think the Spurs kinda miss his presence this season. He was not a huge impact player but the little things he did here and there may be slightly missed by them.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 pm

The Raptors are still missing the 3 elements i was preaching them to get 2 YEARS AGO

1. DEFENSE!!!- they suck at d!
2. AGGERSIVENESS!!!-they shoot too many jumpers
3. MOTIVATION- they dont have heart
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 pm

^^^^^^^^ Absolutely true
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Yeah, but the thing is, what must they do? I think Triano is an underrated coach in my opinion.. It may not look like it now..
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Well it looks like they are gonna loose Bosh Sad
and since Hedo and Andrea both signed big contracts last year.....they wont be able to pick up another great FA......

I say just try to S&T Bosh and the best case scenario is that they get David Lee....and then just put Jose and Hedo on the market...
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Who says CB will leave? Right now it seems he is right in the middle of the decisions.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Well I really doubt Bosh wants to sign with a team he hasnt passed the 1st round with yet.....

And this season was a big season for the raps cause it was Bosh's contract year and they MISS THE PLAYOFFS!

Add in the fact that most NBA Stars dont really appreciate Toronto like they do with NYC...

The only way i see Bosh staying is if Colagelo does something BIG....and i mean big...
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 12:14 am

Something big like trade Jose or Hedo? :p
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toronto Raptors downfall?   Toronto Raptors downfall? Empty

Back to top Go down

Toronto Raptors downfall?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next