Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever

Go down 
+8
Darko
BNB
Straight Edge Bluntness
EM:)
Chris
OhYouMadCuzImStylinOnYa?!
brownie13
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Who will win the 2010-2011 NBA MVP award?
LeBron
Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever Vote_lcap70%Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever Vote_rcap
 70% [ 7 ]
Other
Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever Vote_lcap30%Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever Empty
PostSubject: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 am

Well, not really.

Van Gundy had this to say about LeBron's MVP candidacy when asked by the Cleveland media:

"You know how the vote's going to go. LeBron will win the MVP every year until he retires."

"LeBron has to go into the year and basically lose the MVP. You guys have decided he's the MVP."

"I don't even know if Michael Jordan was as hyped as he is, and then [LeBron] goes out and exceeds it."

"[Defense] doesn't translate into MVP voting. People look at it as it's not as important ... I don't understand that."

Obviously, Stan is being sarcastic about the prospects of other players ability to win the MVP while LeBron is still around. He clearly thinks that Dwight Howard (the likely 2010 DPOY) has been overlooked, and that his defensive contributions are not even considered when voting for an MVP. In some ways, he is certainly right, the award does seem a little like it is LeBron's to lose for the next few seasons, when it should be everyone else's to win. Even in the years when Jordan was unstoppable, he didn't win the MVP ever season.

I just really wonder how Stan feels about his brother Jeff fulfilling the hype while announcing games on ESPN. He probably doesn't agree with statements like "LeBron is the greatest passer of all time." So, I was just wondering your guys' thoughts on what he said, and whether you agree with him. Do you think the award has become LeBron's to lose more than it is anybody's to win, or has LeBron just been that much better than everyone else?

Last edited by Dub C on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 11937

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 am

huh?

LBJ won this award in OCT. why so late?
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 7:07 am

I think both.
It has been Lebron to lose, with these crazy 60+ win seasons its almost impossible to not get the MVP, but hes also much better than everyone else, his all-around game is 10 light years better than every other player in the league.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 pm

DH12 is an overrated defender. He is a very good defender, but he isn't as good as they give him credit for in both areas of the floor. Everyone gets hyped up if they merit it with their play and team record. I mean look at a DH12 game he gets a lot of blocks yeah and is an imposing presence down low, but without all the help d and when he's put into situations of manning up his assignment I've seen him get rocked quite a bit. He's no Marcus Camby and is lucky Orlando has been made into a team of shooters that surround him even though Howard has yet to master the kick out when he is swarmed down low. Orlando is a great team DH12 ain't as great as they make him out to seem. That's just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Lebron is surely overhyped as a player.
Still, I do not think MVP is his award to lose as Gundy puts it.
It just happens that he is playing for the team with the best record in the league and he clearly is a big reason for that - so he is the regular season MVP. Plus, he has been consistent for the most part...so its no surprise that he is the clear cut winner for this award.

Next season, if other players are capable of leading their team to the same degree of success that Lebron has for the Cavs; then it won't be shocking if they become front runner for MVP honours.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Karl Malone beat MJ for the MVP and Karl Malone deserved it that season. The Jazz were better than the Bulls didn't pan out that way in the Finals. Although, Utah did have the team to beat CHI (they didn't). But, Malone deserved the MVP that season and he won it against MJ. So no players that get the most attention in the NBA do not necessarily have to win the MVP all the time.

LeBron James is as close to the perfect player one can get. That's why he deserves it. He may be overhyped, but @ 26 he has practically shown he can do ABSOLUTELY everything on the court to near perfection. He has yet to ring a ring, but hey it took MJ 8 years to win one.
Back to top Go down
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 1275

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm

1. Dwight Howard doesn't belong in the top-10 in MVP voting. IMO, Chris Kaman, Chris Bosh and Danny Granger should be ahead of him if we were going with talent and contribution. But since he is in a very good team (that doesn't need him as bad as other teams need their stars) and the league looks at your team when choosing MVP, he will always be mentioned.

2. LeBron won't be MVP for long. I think if he gets a title soon, he will not play basketball like he is now. But probably for the next 2-3 years he will be.

3. @Jade: LeBron MVP in October? lol How?
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:46 pm

Dwight Howard had NO chance of winning MVP this year. Why? he's playing with Nelson, lewis, carter and a sick bench and STILL won less games than LeBron, mo and like 20 games with Jamison. Dwight howard is obviously a great player and makes a big impact for te magic.. but they're still a very good team without him.

and about the defense thing... yeah defense is important when it comes to voting for MVP... but so is everything else. Rebounding and blocked shots is the only thing Howard has on LeBron... but lebron still gets 7 boards a game and over 1 block a game. Yeah Howard is the Magics leading scorer... but it'll all dunks and free throws. LeBron does everything on offense including passing the ball.. and LBJ does play defense.. he's not one of the best defenders in the league, but he isn't Kevin martin either.

Also.. people seem to always forget about the V part in MVP. If LeBron played with Lewis, carter, nelson, reddick, bass, pietrus, barnes, etc.... there is no way he would win the MVP because he isn't AS valuable. If the cavs get bosh or amare... i'll bet that LBJ doesnt win MVP next year because the cavs would be great even without lebron. [assuming lebron stays and they sign another all-star].
Back to top Go down
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Nenadidas wrote:
Also.. people seem to always forget about the V part in MVP.

LOL well said. I will use that in the future.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:01 pm

hahaha but its true.

LBJ, wade, howard, durant, kobe, etc. are all great players and have all had a great season... but who was most valuable to their team?

well its probably Wade or Durant.. but they aren't on the #1 team in the league. That's why LBJ won it this year and last year.
Back to top Go down
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I would say Wade. Durant has an overlooked team IMO (they aren't stars but they are perfect players for their positions). LeBron's team had SOMEBODY when Jamison came. I wouldn't count shaq as a "sidekick" because he is used only against Orlando. For other teams he is average. Especially fast teams.

Now, LeBron, Durant have a good team. Melo, Nash, Dirk and Kobe have somewhat better teams. Wade, CP3, Kaman, Granger and Bosh have nobody in their teams.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:11 pm

D.Will is extremely valuable to his team as well. I think he deserves to be named an MVP more so than Howard IMO
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:29 pm

On another note D.Wade may or may not be more deserving of an MVP than Dirk Nowitzki is, but I think D.Wade being more of an MVP than Dirk is still debateable and here's why.

Yes w/o D.Wade MIA's team would practically be nothing. I don't think they'd even win 23 games tbh. Hence D.Wade is extremely Valuable to them putting the "V" in MVP.

And I know that the Mavs are hell of deep and could win games without Dirk probably 48-50, but they won't be as dominant. Remember before they made the trade to get Butler, Haywood,a nd Stevenson. Yes Marion was making a very good impact, but they were not winning games in dominating ways like they are now. For this entire season no one has played in as many close games than the Mavs have. And Dirk Nowitzki has made 4-5 total game winners this season and has completely taken over entire quarters and entire games putting up monster performances in getting Dallas over the hump in most of those games. Even with the addition of Butler, Haywood, and Stevenson Dirk continues to do this without slowing down. Do you really think Dallas could take advantage of sealing close game situations like they have practically all year w/o Dirk? I mean even with the addition of Marion no one thought that Dallas would be top 4 in the West did they?

As for who is the bettter player between Dirk and Wade. I would have to go with Dirk. Bigs, especially such a finess/sharp-shooting big like Dirk gets disrespected in favor of guards like that of Wade. When Dirk does have a rebounding presence he grabs 8 a game so isn't all that soft at all. Not to mention he is a far superior offensive player than Wade. Wade is a really bad perimeter scorer and gets most of his buckets in transition nor is Wade all that great of a ft shooter. Dirk also makes it a priority to stay healthy Wade has trouble doing so.

I swear after that 1 just 1 missed FT in the Finals Dirk has been labeled as a choker. When he has been anything but. I mean did you see him in the playoffs these last couple of years he's been practically unguardable. He averaged 38 PPG last season in the playoffs against the Nuggets.

Remember Wade did have a team with maybe not the strongest core of players, but they were vets and all yet they only 1 an abysmal 15 games that season. Dirk on the other hand has had some teams where he has had to do a lot more than needed and he's never lead a team to a terrible 15 games won like Wade has.

Dirk > Wade
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:35 pm

well comparing who is better and who is more valuable are two completely different things.

Ex. Wade is more valuable to the heat than LeBron is to the cavs.. but LeBron is better.

But I agree about Dirk.. he is very dominant and almost impossible to guard... you just have to hope he has an off day when you guard him.. There is nowhere that he cant score from.
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm

TonyEM: Dead Prez wrote:
On another note D.Wade may or may not be more deserving of an MVP than Dirk Nowitzki is, but I think D.Wade being more of an MVP than Dirk is still debateable and here's why.

Yes w/o D.Wade MIA's team would practically be nothing. I don't think they'd even win 23 games tbh. Hence D.Wade is extremely Valuable to them putting the "V" in MVP.

And I know that the Mavs are hell of deep and could win games without Dirk probably 48-50, but they won't be as dominant. Remember before they made the trade to get Butler, Haywood,a nd Stevenson. Yes Marion was making a very good impact, but they were not winning games in dominating ways like they are now. For this entire season no one has played in as many close games than the Mavs have. And Dirk Nowitzki has made 4-5 total game winners this season and has completely taken over entire quarters and entire games putting up monster performances in getting Dallas over the hump in most of those games. Even with the addition of Butler, Haywood, and Stevenson Dirk continues to do this without slowing down. Do you really think Dallas could take advantage of sealing close game situations like they have practically all year w/o Dirk? I mean even with the addition of Marion no one thought that Dallas would be top 4 in the West did they?

As for who is the bettter player between Dirk and Wade. I would have to go with Dirk. Bigs, especially such a finess/sharp-shooting big like Dirk gets disrespected in favor of guards like that of Wade. When Dirk does have a rebounding presence he grabs 8 a game so isn't all that soft at all. Not to mention he is a far superior offensive player than Wade. Wade is a really bad perimeter scorer and gets most of his buckets in transition nor is Wade all that great of a ft shooter. Dirk also makes it a priority to stay healthy Wade has trouble doing so.

I swear after that 1 just 1 missed FT in the Finals Dirk has been labeled as a choker. When he has been anything but. I mean did you see him in the playoffs these last couple of years he's been practically unguardable. He averaged 38 PPG last season in the playoffs against the Nuggets.

Remember Wade did have a team with maybe not the strongest core of players, but they were vets and all yet they only 1 an abysmal 15 games that season. Dirk on the other hand has had some teams where he has had to do a lot more than needed and he's never lead a team to a terrible 15 games won like Wade has.

Dirk > Wade

Hmm, I don't think it is only because of the one free throw he missed that made some people label him a "choker" - I am pretty sure it is for a combination of different reasons. But, what you have said in your post makes a great deal of sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:52 pm

LeBron will be atleast 4 times MVP,he might crush Kareem's record because of his all around game.He will be a champion as well in his career many times so never forget his name about the awards,championship rings will come,he will have lots of them and so will the MVPs

In the next season i don't think he will win it,the award might go to Durant or even to Williams/Paul/Roy which isn't bad call either.Next season it will be very intersting

Also,Dwight Howard won't win the MVP with all the quality forwards and guards around.Sure,he's good defender,league's best rebounder and good shot blocker but he's not the best defensive player.He's not better defender then Oden or Camby....i think if Oden is healthy and has a long and productive career,he will have then better chances of beeing an MVP before Dwight...
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 pm

SRF Dirk made that big shot in the Finals that would have sealed the series but was called off that was the most controversially called NBA Finals series I've ever seen. Furthermore, after that series the Miami Heat has never beat Dallas once since then and Dirk has outdone Wade time after time. In the playoffs against GS and NO Dirk Nowitzki was practically the only guy playing he may have had 1 off night or so, like everyone that plays the game. But, in the series he performed very well. GS and NO just presented a lot of match-up problems that Dallas couldn't counter and Dirk's supporting cast gave in in those series. Dirk who has been labeled as a non-vocal leader let his teammates have it. Particularly, Dampier. He's never really had a consistent 2nd or a offensive C that can get it done down low. Now he has Haywood that can get it done offensively down low. And Butler may or may not be a consistent 2nd, but one thing is for sure Butler makes them a hell of a lot deeper. Butler/Marion/Haywood added to Kidd/Terry make for a lot deeper of a supporting cast. Where that gets them remains to be seen.

Anyways, last season in the playoffs he was phenomenal against the Spurs and averaged 38 PPG/8 RPG hitting some big shots in the Denver series even when he was facing some off-court problems with his at that time gf (who got in trouble with the law for something).

I think Dirk Nowitzki is one of the most clutch players in the NBA. This season he can even be the most clutch IMO. And I just don't see that with Wade. I mean he's really good and can take over games like the superstar that he is. But, his offensive capabilities leave a lot to be desired for
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:27 pm

MVP of the regular season is fought/talked about so much. I don't think any other sport other than NBA basketball makes as big a deal about the MVP of the regular season.

Best record (or close to) + great stats + image= MVP.

My vote is for Kevin Durant and I doubt he'll get any votes. Cavs w/o LeBron are an above .500 team. So are the Mavs w/o Dirk. So are the Lakers w/o Kobe. Magic... Hawks... Celtics and so on.

Spurs. Heat. Suns. Thunder would all have sub .500 teams w/o their best players.

Just use the formula above and that's your MVP almost every season.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Nick C wrote:
MVP of the regular season is fought/talked about so much. I don't think any other sport other than NBA basketball makes as big a deal about the MVP of the regular season.

My vote is for Kevin Durant and I doubt he'll get any votes. Cavs w/o LeBron are an above .500 team. So are the Mavs w/o Dirk. So are the Lakers w/o Kobe. Magic... Hawks... Celtics and so on.

Spurs. Heat. Suns. Thunder would all have sub .500 teams w/o their best players.

What about Utah w/o D-Will Nick? You forgot to put them in your mix.
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:42 pm

The MVP race was always really entertaining but Lebron has been number 1 for nearly the whole season?

Who was the last MVP to get it by that big of a margin
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 pm

TonyEM: Dead Prez wrote:
Nick C wrote:

What about Utah w/o D-Will Nick? You forgot to put them in your mix.

I kinda include Deron, but Jerry Sloan gets his teams to overachieve... look at this season: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/UTA/2004.html

The following year they went 26-56 with Boozer playing only 51 games and Andrei only playing 41 games. I can say IMHO that they would've been a .500 team if they had Boozer and AK.

Like the other players I listed (James, Kobe, Dwight, etc..), Deron Williams puts you over the top, but D-Will not being there doesn't make the Jazz a sub .500 team with Jerry Sloan as coach.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 pm

KD FOR 2011 MVP!
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 5:02 pm

KD's too one dimensional...he can score...yeah. Grats. Here's a pat on the back. An MVP should be able to do more than score and get 8 boards. He gets what...1.6 APG? That stat isn't gonna improve anytime soon and it hurts to look at it...
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Karl malone won MVP and he didnt play D and didnt average over 1 BPG...

he was just scoring and rebounding..

KD scores from everywhere, he can rebound.. he gets steals...
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 5:07 pm

What else is Karl Malone supposed to do..get 7 assists per game? He's a freakin PF/C...Durant is a SF, he's supposed to be the playmaker on offense, not someone who creates their own shots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever   Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever Empty

Back to top Go down

Stan Van Gundy thinks LeBron should be MVP forever
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next