Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?

Go down 
+2
brownie13
wallshingtonwizard
6 posters

Will there be an NBA lockout in 2011-2012?
Yes
Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? Vote_lcap33%Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
No
Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? Vote_lcap67%Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? Vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? Empty
PostSubject: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 10:32 pm

The NHL had a season long lockout in 2004-2005 thanks to salary issues and the fact that 76% of owners' revenues went to teams. The NBA is in a better position than that, but still I think players get close to 60% of revenues. Second, just one or two players can adversely affect teams' abilities to sign talent because of their max salaries. Look at Stephon Marbury of the Knicks and Gilbert Arenas of the Wizards for example of max players who screwed or are screwing their teams.

The only other major pro league here in the USA is the WNBA, and I think the owners want to put in some of the measures that they have done. Obviously they made some big moves in their CBA to ensure that the league will continue to exist in five, ten, or twenty years, and definitely with the NBA's blessing, while the NBA shouldn't be worrying about its existence. Still I think that they have some good things to keep salaries in check. Some of the changes made in the WNBA's last CBA in 2008 included an 11 man roster (yes, only 11 players total per team) PLUS there can only be one assistant coach with the main guru starting this year... Also, the WNBA has a hard salary cap, which is what the NBA owners want. Their salary cap next year will be $827,000 and a max salary will be $101,500 for players not on a rookie deal. Two players per team can earn this max salary. The WNBA's max salary is only 12.2% of the salary cap.

In the NBA, players could get a max salary that takes up to 25% of the cap in the first year of the deal if they have five years experience and a first year salary of up to 35% if they have 10 years experience, and they are not bound by any rules after that since salaries can have 8 or 10% annual increases. Kobe's extension would take up half of the cap next year for the Lakers (Which is not bound by the salary cap since it extended his previous deal), and should he suffer a Gilbert Arenas injury or a Gilbert Arenas Goof off, that will be VERY VERY HARD for them. Then again, the Lakers can afford his contract given their worldwide appeal. Most NBA teams however besides the Lakers or Knicks or even the Wizards given the billionaire ownership empire of Leonsis and friends, cannot afford such extensions. These extensions basically make the NBA like the MLB where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The NBA collectively lost 400 million bucks this season, mostly from the meddling teams in not so great markets, with the exception of the Clippers who are in a great market but are a joke if anything most years.

I wouldn't expect the NBA to be doing all of the cost cutting measures that its little sister league made, but many WNBA CBA ideas should be considered to a degree. Really, do NBA players have to eat up 50% or more of the salary cap two or three years in a contract that hurt other players from signing with the team? Sure, Kobe is great, but he is at the end of his prime time of prime years and should he get injured, now that he'll be 32 this next year, the Lakers will have to hope he's another Antawn Jamison, not another Allen Iverson. That salary's ridiculous. Second, do NBA players really need 15 players on a roster max when only 12 can suit up at any time? We have the D League right?

To me, I believe that a lockout is inevitable and I don't think we will see a 2011-2012 season to be honest, and I wouldn't be surprised to not see a 2012-2013 season either. When the lockout starts, the Euroleague and the Chinese Basketball Association are licking their chops to land LeBron and Kobe to Olympiacos or the Shanghai Sharks (Darko will hope they'll play in his hometown, lol). Here in the states, maybe the D League will become more popular, more high school players who really want to go pro will stay here, and go to the D-League instead of meddling for a semester in college. The WNBA will also get to lick its chops as they will for a summer or two (maybe even three) become the premier professional basketball league in the USA, and maybe more people will appreciate their dedication to the game. As with the NBA, regardless of a lockout or not, salaries will be much lower (Kobe will lose half of that contract or more), contracts will no longer be fully guaranteed AND much easier to void (Gilbert goof offs will result in termination rather than just a suspension alone), and perhaps a number of players will stay abroad since they will make more money playing in Athens or even Shanghai then for the Knicks or Cavaliers. The NBA will then become a less popular league for some time, and in many ways the NHL is still recovering from that lockout right now unless your team is the Penguins, Devils, Sharks, or Caps.

Maybe I am very pessimistic, but I am also realistic and right now, that is realistic.

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 pm

power of positive (or negative in this case) thinking. no lockout.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 pm

It's almost un-avoidible. A lockout will most surely happen.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Troy wrote:
It's almost un-avoidible. A lockout will most surely happen.

Well maybe that's why so many teams cleared all that cap space for max contracts. They know they're only going to blow one year's worth of dough and it's one last chance at a ship before a major major reconstruction. After all, isn't that what the Redskins are doing in an "uncapped" year?
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Idk,i guess we will see
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:46 am

greate video
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 am

That would be be unfortunate if a lockout does happen; but you mentioned a good point about the WNBA potentially increasing its popularity due to the lockout. Maybe our Canadian sports channels (that is on Rogers basic cable) will finally start airing WNBA games. :bball:
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 12:04 pm

This would suck if both the NBA and NFL lockout the same year

and if the tournament expands to 96

it's a shame of greedy these associations are
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 12:07 pm

But I don't see an NBA lockout.

Another thing to think about with an NBA lockout. Alot of College players that usually enter the NBA Draft would still in College so they can keep playing
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Wouldn't there still be a draft?Contracts would just be made after the nba comes to an agreement.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:54 am

King Of NJ wrote:
But I don't see an NBA lockout.

Another thing to think about with an NBA lockout. Alot of College players that usually enter the NBA Draft would still in College so they can keep playing

I dunno about that. The NBA stars would flood Europe and China and Korea for a year or two or however long it would take before the situation is resolved here. College players can't declare for the NBA draft until after a college year is done, but they can quit school and join Euroleague play any time they want. But I agree that a number of star college players who aren't seniors next season would opt to stay because of the lockout, unless they are the top of the top stars who can get a job and major minutes in Europe. A number of these Euroleague coaches will not let John Wall or another 19 year old start on the team. Look at Brandon Jennings!
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:10 am

SRF: Go Spurs Go! wrote:
That would be be unfortunate if a lockout does happen; but you mentioned a good point about the WNBA potentially increasing its popularity due to the lockout. Maybe our Canadian sports channels (that is on Rogers basic cable) will finally start airing WNBA games. :bball:

If they aren't playing the WNBA on Raptors NBA TV or TSN right now, then you probably won't get to watch the WNBA even if there is an NBA lockout. You will have to hope there is a team in Toronto or maybe Vancouver or perhaps Montréal soon. The WNBA doesn't have to be in a big major city as Connecticut's team plays on an Indian reservation and a number of major cities just don't like the league or their ownership sucked in trying to get people to come.

The WNBA has a potentially great opportunity in 2011 with the NBA lockout, but they must take full advantage of it with sound marketing (the basketball is basketball ad campaign they have right now should have been left for next year when the lockout officially starts), getting their players out in the communities often (most do but just for girls girls girls, breast cancer, girls again) but they need to work with young boys who are playing basketball in particular. Catering the league to 20-35 year old men right now is a lost cause unless they already know a bunch of women's college players, and most guys my age will always think the WNBA is league that Will Never Be Accepted. I understand that the WNBA is the longest lasting women's pro league here in the US, and the girl power thing, but if the WNBA players and the league doesn't recognize that their players need to be a model for boys as well, you're only going to get yet another generation of boys who will grow up thinking the same stereotypes about the league which is mostly exaggerated, that all the players are butch dykes, they can't lay up a ball, play is too damn slow, etc. The first point is kinda true in my opinion from looking at some WNBA blogs, mostly lesbian catered, but the other stuff is just a bit ridiculous at a certain point.

I would love to see WNBA Cares going out in the community reading to groups of boys, teaching boys fundamentals in a camp, etc. and WNBA teams recognizing high school boys teams for the week in the offseason. Those would go some ways in getting boys to appreciate the WNBA. I'm not saying that boys will like the WNBA more than the NBA when it's all said and done after the NBA resumes play, but they will enjoy the league more as boys today after such involvement, so when they become 20-35 years old they will still appreciate the league and the WNBA will have more fans in the stands with non-lesbians in particular, especially in cities where they can use improvement, like Minnesota and Seattle, the latter which has two of the best players ever and they still can't get 8,000 after the Sonics left. Pathetic. That should be the WNBA's priority now as it is, but if they still don't do it this year, well, they definitely should seize that opportunity next year. When they do, I betcha the lesbian fan base (their most enthusiastic base, though not the majority) will cringe to see their players catering to boys and men, since most of the lesbian fanbase thinks the NBA and men's basketball in general is garbage, or at best, they don't care about the NBA. Still this is only for the league's good.

"Seriously, you say that LeBron's your guy, man, Diana's better. Chris Bosh? Bosh who? Sylvia's is beast down low! CP3? Oh, that's Candace Parker! All this razzle dazzle every other play? The girls play the game the way it's supposed to be played!"
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 2:53 am

thewiz06 wrote:

If they aren't playing the WNBA on Raptors NBA TV or TSN right now, then you probably won't get to watch the WNBA even if there is an NBA lockout. You will have to hope there is a team in Toronto or maybe Vancouver or perhaps Montréal soon. The WNBA doesn't have to be in a big major city as Connecticut's team plays on an Indian reservation and a number of major cities just don't like the league or their ownership sucked in trying to get people to come.

The WNBA has a potentially great opportunity in 2011 with the NBA lockout, but they must take full advantage of it with sound marketing (the basketball is basketball ad campaign they have right now should have been left for next year when the lockout officially starts), getting their players out in the communities often (most do but just for girls girls girls, breast cancer, girls again) but they need to work with young boys who are playing basketball in particular. Catering the league to 20-35 year old men right now is a lost cause unless they already know a bunch of women's college players, and most guys my age will always think the WNBA is league that Will Never Be Accepted. I understand that the WNBA is the longest lasting women's pro league here in the US, and the girl power thing, but if the WNBA players and the league doesn't recognize that their players need to be a model for boys as well, you're only going to get yet another generation of boys who will grow up thinking the same stereotypes about the league which is mostly exaggerated, that all the players are butch dykes, they can't lay up a ball, play is too damn slow, etc. The first point is kinda true in my opinion from looking at some WNBA blogs, mostly lesbian catered, but the other stuff is just a bit ridiculous at a certain point.

I would love to see WNBA Cares going out in the community reading to groups of boys, teaching boys fundamentals in a camp, etc. and WNBA teams recognizing high school boys teams for the week in the offseason. Those would go some ways in getting boys to appreciate the WNBA. I'm not saying that boys will like the WNBA more than the NBA when it's all said and done after the NBA resumes play, but they will enjoy the league more as boys today after such involvement, so when they become 20-35 years old they will still appreciate the league and the WNBA will have more fans in the stands with non-lesbians in particular, especially in cities where they can use improvement, like Minnesota and Seattle, the latter which has two of the best players ever and they still can't get 8,000 after the Sonics left. Pathetic. That should be the WNBA's priority now as it is, but if they still don't do it this year, well, they definitely should seize that opportunity next year. When they do, I betcha the lesbian fan base (their most enthusiastic base, though not the majority) will cringe to see their players catering to boys and men, since most of the lesbian fanbase thinks the NBA and men's basketball in general is garbage, or at best, they don't care about the NBA. Still this is only for the league's good.

"Seriously, you say that LeBron's your guy, man, Diana's better. Chris Bosh? Bosh who? Sylvia's is beast down low! CP3? Oh, that's Candace Parker! All this razzle dazzle every other play? The girls play the game the way it's supposed to be played!"

They do show WNBA games once in a while on Raptors TV/TSN2 but it is not available to basic cable. That would be cool if we could get a WNBA franchise in Canada...but if that were to happen, it would most likely be located in Toronto. Our other two major cities...not so much...

Adding on to your point...unless you obtain fair recognition for women's sports and get the public not to view women's sports in particular...the WNBA will always be viewed as a second rate league in comparison to the NBA. Our society is patriarchal, even to this day and until this is no longer the case, women will not be fully respected as athletes. In order to tackle this issue, one has to look at the bigger picture and how societal structures perpetuate and maintain the strong prevalence of patriarchy in our society. Just my opinion. Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? 853558
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 am

thewiz06 wrote:

They do show WNBA games once in a while on Raptors TV/TSN2 but it is not available to basic cable. That would be cool if we could get a WNBA franchise in Canada...but if that were to happen, it would most likely be located in Toronto. Our other two major cities...not so much...

Adding on to your point...unless you obtain fair recognition for women's sports and get the public not to view women's sports in particular...the WNBA will always be viewed as a second rate league in comparison to the NBA. Our society is patriarchal, even to this day and until this is no longer the case, women will not be fully respected as athletes. In order to tackle this issue, one has to look at the bigger picture and how societal structures perpetuate and maintain the strong prevalence of patriarchy in our society. Just my opinion. Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? 853558

Wow, I don't know who the main providers in Canada are for cable/satellite, but the WNBA in Canada may not work in terms of fans without a team in Canada, but even then, Canada isn't much of a basketball country like your neighbor south of the border. Canada's first love will always be ice hockey and Les Canadiens de Montréal will for at least another 100 years be the Yankees of the NHL since they won 24 Stanley Cups in 100 years. That's a lot of hardware! I know women's ice hockey is popular at the college level, but when will we see a WNHL?
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 3:28 am

"get the public not to view women's sports in particular"

I meant to say "get the public not to view women's sports as inferior"

anyway, yeah lol...I am surprised they air them on Canadian TV (but it is on those channels not available to regular/basic cable...you have to get some sort of VIP package). And love how you put the accent on "Montréal", hehe. Unfortunately, basketball is not very popular here. Our Canadian national basketball team kinda sucks and our college basketball league is very subpar compared to NCAA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?   Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will there be an NBA Lockout in 2010-2011?
Page 1 of 1