Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FC
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
FC

Male Posts : 822

Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?   Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 1:31 am

^^^^ title says it all

(Hokey assist is when a player A passes to player B and B makes a quick extra pass to player C while player C shoots and scores, B gets an assist, C scores, A doesn't get anything for his contribution because hockey assists usually happen when a player is getting double teamed)

It is just an important contribution not in the stat book, i wondered one day if they should add it
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?   Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 1:37 am

yes and no. while that is an important play, it's something that is already recorded and recognized by most teams. it's not really necessary to record it as an assist in the recorded stat book.
Back to top Go down
VP
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
VP

Male Posts : 517

PostSubject: Re: Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?   Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 am

Well first of all they have to clarify what constitutes as an assist.
If the receiving player dribbles, is it counted as an assist? Some say yes, some no. If the answer is yes, how many dribbles is the maximum until it is no longer counted as an assist?
I've seen players rewarded with assists where they feed the ball to the post, the big man spots up, dribbles four or five times and does some fancy footwork before getting a shot off. Is that an assist or no? Again, some say yes, some no.

Once they clarify what an assist is exactly, then yes, I do believe they should count hockey assists. They are just as important as the final pass in my opinion. As anyone who's played competitive basketball will know, ball movement is extremely important. Finding the right man to pass to can mean the difference between an easy shot and a prayer. Finding a player that is at a better angle to a receiving player can be a crucial part of the possession.
Back to top Go down
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 1275

PostSubject: Re: Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?   Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists? EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't think that's necessary. What I think is they should start counting "passes" that end up in FG attempts (not only FGs made) for example if Nash passes to Stoudemire and Stoudemire misses the shot, that's not Nash's fault. He made a pass.

Then we could also know Pass %age. That means we can know whether or not a person passes a lot, and what percentage of his passes will result in assists.

So for example if Nash passes 25 times in a game, and only his 14 assists end up in FGs made. Then Nash's pass pct. will be 14/25. or 56%.

Also we can try to figure who is a real ball hog by calculating passes per 100 possessions.

If for example Carmelo Anthony passes 12 times out of 50 possessions, and he gets 4 assists...

Ball hog ratio: (50-12)/50 = 38/50 = 76%... he took 76% of the possessions he got.

Pass pct. : 33.3%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?   Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you think the NBA should start counting hockey assists?
Page 1 of 1