Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?

Go down 
+4
Nick C
brownie13
YS
EM:)
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? Empty
PostSubject: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:34 pm

I mean he is doing what he was brought into Miami to do. He is playing the role of second fiddle in Miami quite well and receiving very little attention in doing so. He isn't putting up the stat line he did when he was in Indy, but that just means he's doing his job working within the 2nd fiddle role.

However, this season I can say he has been Miami's most consistent player. D-Wade has had a lot of ugly games this season and when Wade was out of play. JO was balling putting up the numbers he did back in Indy for a bit.

Last game he picked up 25 points and reached double digits in rebounds picking up his 15th for the season. He's top 20 in the NBA in double-doubles in only 29 minutes of play. He's also done his part to stay away from injuries. If Miami's team was not so poorly built and run (Spolestra) then more people would be talking about JO's nice season.
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:43 pm

yeah...he's been OK with the Heat..I guess.

But I don't know what you're talking about when you say that he has bailed Wade out when wade "had a lot of ugly games"..

Wade has only 9 games where he had under 20 pts...
Jermaine has only 7 games where he had OVER 20 pts..

So yeah..while he's been OK..
He hasn't been the stabilizer you are implying...
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 pm

he's been consistent, but needs to improve on the boards.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Wade may have had 20+ games, but in those 20+ he's had a lot of real ugly ones. JO is the only guy on that team that plays with any sense of consistency. Wade has had a lot of games this year when he does score 20+, but his % has been god awful in some of those games and his assists/rebounds in some of them have also fell short. JO has been solid all season really I think. He could hit the boards a little more, but 7.2 RPG isn't too bad for someone that lacks the build for a C. If he had Haslem's build along with his height JO would be a far better rebounder playing C, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm

No. This isn't the same JO. It simply isn't. saying Jo is more consistant than Wade is a joke.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:13 pm

I think he is I really don't think Wade is all that consistent. Now saying who produces more is another thing there's no question D-Wade is the best player on this team. And yes JO isn't putting up the same stat lines as before, but he is having a good year. This team is 3 deep. Wade, JO, and Haslem.

Beasley is bad, Q.Rich is bad, Chalmers is a disappointment, Arroyo is bad, Wright is terrible, Cook is bad, Alston is right now nonexistant, etc.
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:16 pm

How is Beasley in any way, shape or form "bad"???
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Tony EM: Defeat The World wrote:
I think he is I really don't think Wade is all that consistent. Now saying who produces more is another thing there's no question D-Wade is the best player on this team. And yes JO isn't putting up the same stat lines as before, but he is having a good year. This team is 3 deep. Wade, JO, and Haslem.

Beasley is bad, Q.Rich is bad, Chalmers is a disappointment, Arroyo is bad, Wright is terrible, Cook is bad, Alston is right now nonexistant, etc.

So basically on a team that sucks JO is the most consistant?

Still. Hell no. Wade has done more for that team then Jo has done easily.

JO as an All-Star is done. His biggest benifit to the team is that he's tall. JO by himself hasn't won games. Beasley has. Seriously. Wade has been the most consistant threat on that team. If they make the playoffs it because of Wade feeding JO shots. Nothing more, nothing less.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Jermaine O'Neal plays just as well as Al Horford and Rajon Rondo, 2 All-Stars. Horford shouldn't have been there it should have been Bogut. Anyways, JO does have a game winner this year against the Clippers. And he's no Wade, Wade is a legit All-Star and if Miami makes the playoffs it's mostly cause of him, but I really don't think there's nothing all that special with him. I'd much rather have Roy and a lot of others that aren't hyped as much. Mike Beasley on the other hand is just terrible if any benefits the most for playing with Wade is him there's nothing in Beasley's game besides his length that impresses me. He is just bad a wasted #2 pick: I would much rather have Love, Lopez, Westbrook, Mayo, Gallinari, Gordon, Augustin, Bayless, Thompson, Speights, Hibbert, Batum, etc.

Beasley can't shoot but thinks he can shoot he makes bad decisions and relies heavily on his length and hops. He is a lazy defender, is lazy on the boards, can't score all that well. The hype that he gets is unwarranted if you ask me I can't stand his game ever since college. One of the players games I dislike most.
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Beasley > Gallinari, Augustin, Bayless, Thomson, Speights, Hibbert, Batum
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Not at all. When they are all in the apex of their careers Beasley would be nowhere near these guys. Beasley plays like a scared little bitch and has no real game IMO. He is all length and hops. Plus, he looks to be also mentally unstable.
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Beasley vs Danillo.
You say Beasley is all length and hops.
I'm sorry...but what does Danillo have? Only a jump shot....nothing else at all.
I'd rather have an athlete who can improve his jumpshot, rather than a jumpshooter who can't improve physically.
And umm...if Beasley plays like a "scared little bitch"...then what about Danillo?

Beasley vs DJ Augustin

DJ hasn't even been getting any minutes. Enough said.

Beasley vs Bayless
High potential. Shows a little something here and there, but doesn't produce enough right now.
While Beasley...shows lots of potential...AND also produces right now.

Jason Thompson vs Beasley
Thompson looks like the typical average center who produces just enough to justify a starting role.
While Beasley has the potential to be an-star..
I'll bet a million dollars (if I ever get any lol) that Thompson will never ever achieve as much statistical value as Beasley.

Beasley vs Speights

Stop embarrassing yourself.
Speights' game is offense. And its not even close to Beasley's...
Enough said.

Beasley vs Hibbert
Really?
Hibbert is a project who (like Thompson) will be an average center who plays well enough to have a starting spot.

Beasley vs Batum
Please.

And Beasley is 21 years old!
15 PPG and 6.5 RPG is very good for someone at that age.
And his versatility helps add mroe value to his game.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm in agreement with Jay. Beasley is a better player than all those guys. Miami's issue is that it has nobody in the back court to help out Wade. JO has Wright, Beasley, Haslem, and Anthony in the post, while Wade has Chalmers, Cook, and Arroyo (Alston gone for the season).
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 pm

He averages that cause he's on a terrible offensive team with limited options. Put him on a team of scorers and he won't be even close to Gallo and other players. I don't think he would improve at all he'll be around the same or even less with what he is now. And Gallo is a decent blocker want me to name the game saving blocks he's made this season? He can also put the ball on the floor and is a pretty good passer at his size. His overall defense can expand. I'd much rather have a sick jumpshooter than a guy who has no jumpshot right now and is all length and hops. Not saying Wade is like Beasley cause Wade is in fact a star and he has a well packaged game, but offensively speaking Wade's shot makes me cringe. I'd much rather have Dirk Nowitzki, a sharpshooter (a better player than Wade) than Dwyane Wade who is just a better athlete than Dirk.

Dirk > Wade
Gallo > Beasley
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 pm

You talking as though Gallo is on a team with unlimited offensive options.
Gallo plays in a system where the stats tend to get inflated yet he still doesn't put up as many points as Beasley.

And why the hell would you take a sharpshooter over an athlete?
That makes no sense whatsoever...

Kobe, when he came into the league, was not good with regards to his jumpshot. But he was an athlete. He used his athletic ability to compensate for his jump shot and then slowly developed a jumper.

While JJ Redick, a jumpshooter and a non-athlete, is just terrible now.
Adam Morrison, a jumpshooter and a non-athlete, is just terrible now.
I could go on and on about sharpshooters who are not athletic.
(AND NO! GALLO IS NOT ATHLETIC. HE IS AS STIFF AS SOMETHING THAT IS VERY STIFF)
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:12 pm

YS wrote:
You talking as though Gallo is on a team with unlimited offensive options.
Gallo plays in a system where the stats tend to get inflated yet he still doesn't put up as many points as Beasley.

And why the hell would you take a sharpshooter over an athlete?
That makes no sense whatsoever...

Kobe, when he came into the league, was not good with regards to his jumpshot. But he was an athlete. He used his athletic ability to compensate for his jump shot and then slowly developed a jumper.

While JJ Redick, a jumpshooter and a non-athlete, is just terrible now.
Adam Morrison, a jumpshooter and a non-athlete, is just terrible now.
I could go on and on about sharpshooters who are not athletic.
(AND NO! GALLO IS NOT ATHLETIC. HE IS AS STIFF AS SOMETHING THAT IS VERY STIFF)

People who say that Gallo plays on a team where stats tend to be inflated really do not know what they are saying and have not really watched a Knicks game. This is not PHX. NY is not ran the same way as Mike D ran PHX. He had to change a lot of the way he runs a team this season in NY because he does not have the players to run a run n gun team. The Knicks are not an uptempo team. NY holds on to the ball a lot, rarely gets on the run, and all we do is just settle on jumpshots. That does not make us uptempo though. People are just looking at us based on Mike D's coaching style and his past coaching PHX. Again this is not PHX nor do we play in a system similar to PHX or any other fast paced team for that matter.

Those are all right sharpshooters. Gallo is amazing he will be just like Dirk and Ray Allen shooting the ball. Therefore, Dirk > Wade and not that Wade is just an athlete cause he isn't, but Beasley is. Therefore, Beasley will never be better than a great (not a average sharpshooter) like Gallo.
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Gallo's stats gets inflated when compared to the Heat.
The Heat don't play close to the pace of game, the Knicks play.

Gallo's stats ARE inflated.
They do run and gun...not as much as PHX....but they still do.

And I'm sorry...who beat won the ring during that series?
Mavs or Heat?
I'm sorry...but who was not clutch during those finals? Wade or Dirk?
Exactly. I rest my case.

Wade is not an athlete?
Are you ok?

And what do you not get?
Beasley can improve his jump shot.
Beasley + his physical abilties + a good jump shot = Unstoppable
Gallo + great jump shot (w/o physcial attributes) = Average player.
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:24 pm

That was one of the worst officiated Finals I have ever seen ever. Dallas was screwed out of that series. Dirk Nowitzki is the real deal. I'd take him over Wade, his injuries, and inability to lead a team as good as Dirk does whether they have well defined talent or not. Dirk missed 1 FT and all of a sudden he's pegged us not being clutch. It's Dirk and Kobe this season that can be considered the most clutch. What about Dirk last season scoring 38 PPG in the series against Denver or the series against SA how great did he play? Miami is no Dallas, but Dirk had teams that lacked a lot of talent in Dallas and did much more than leading them to only 15 games won and Wade in the playoffs last season had some pathetic games.

What happened ever since game Miami has never won another game against Dallas since the Finals. Wade is way more inconsistent than Dirk and he's injury prone as well.

In regards to NY they'll have like 1 out of every 5 or so games where they would run more than anything else. In actuality if NY gets 3 fastbreak attempts in a game that's something to look forward to. Our pg's pocket the ball and we run slow sets. NY's fast breaks are at it's best when David Lee serves the role of the ballhandler whether it be off of outlets or when he himself brings the ball up.

I said Wade is not just an athlete. Beasley is.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Tony EM: Defeat The World wrote:
That was one of the worst officiated Finals I have ever seen ever. Dallas was screwed out of that series. Dirk Nowitzki is the real deal. I'd take him over Wade, his injuries, and inability to lead a team as good as Dirk does whether they have well defined talent or not. Dirk missed 1 FT and all of a sudden he's pegged us not being clutch. It's Dirk and Kobe this season that can be considered the most clutch. What about Dirk last season scoring 38 PPG in the series against Denver or the series against SA how great did he play? Miami is no Dallas, but Dirk had teams that lacked a lot of talent in Dallas and did much more than leading them to only 15 games won and Wade in the playoffs last season had some pathetic games.

What happened ever since game Miami has never won another game against Dallas since the Finals. Wade is way more inconsistent than Dirk and he's injury prone as well.

In regards to NY they'll have like 1 out of every 5 or so games where they would run more than anything else. In actuality if NY gets 3 fastbreak attempts in a game that's something to look forward to. Our pg's pocket the ball and we run slow sets. NY's fast breaks are at it's best when David Lee serves the role of the ballhandler whether it be off of outlets or when he himself brings the ball up.

I said Wade is not just an athlete. Beasley is.

Thats true and it isn't. Beasley has game. He's in the same threshold as Gay, Iggy and a young Shawn Marion. Mike still has to realize the player that he is (he's only two years in), rebounder and scorer. But he is a prospect. He would be brilliant on a terrible team. He's just a piece, but a piece that Miami was unwilling to trade to Phoenix or Utah for Amar'e and Boozer. To me that speaks volumes.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Nah, Jermaines a fuckin bum now..
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:36 pm

YS wrote:

Batum>Beasley and name the rest of your picks...
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:44 pm

I'd take Batum over Beasley any time. Especially, as Batum matures the guy is a stud his offensive tools are getting closer and closer to where his defense is right now
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:15 pm

Simon Ammann wrote:
YS wrote:

Batum>Beasley and name the rest of your picks...

Batum is probably the worst out of all the players I named....
Maybe ahead of Augustin...maybe..
Other than that...he's the last in the list...
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:22 pm

batum is fast improving though, just not above them yet, lol
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Batum: 10/3
Beasley: 15/7

Really no comparison...unless you're a Blazers fan or Tony, who finds greatness in every player in the league except a few Knick players that he doesn't like Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?   Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has Jermaine O'Neal been underrated this season?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next