Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

Male Posts : 3758

Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? Empty
PostSubject: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Just like what the NHL did a few years ago? If so, when?

BQ1: Do you think another lockout will come soon for the NBA?
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Yes, as YS said, there's a thread about it lol in 1999

BQ: No, probably not. The referee lockout was resolved quickly and the players are professional with reputations, and they probably won't do anything to force a lockout

WAIT, RUSH!
You live in Scarborough?
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Yea Raza.. Why?
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Lol I went there last year for my cousin's wedding!

I stayed at Best Western Inn on 38 Estate Drive, do you know where that is? Lol
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Yea!!! Scarborough is kool! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Lol yeah it's a nice place...but my family got lost so many times lol.

You probably don't, but if you live on Lenthall (drive or avenue, idk), so does my cousin now! Haha
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:00 pm

Hey, maybe if you go to Scarborough again I might see you! Very Happy. Really? You got lost here? When I had to go to Conneticut, the highway in USA is really weird. No lighting at all. Pitch black at night! In Canada we have lots of lights on the highway!
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:05 pm

Lol maybe one year over the summer I might go to visit. My cousin has come here to Connecticut a few times so we probably will some time. Lol yeah we had problems on the highway too. We got lost on it trying to get back to the hotel after going to Niagara (a nice way to top off the visit), and we barely had any gas in the car at midnight. We were lost. It was scary lol
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Yea, I always get scared in USA when we drive at night. These little spaced out houses... When you scream, nobody can hear you!
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:03 pm

1. Yes in the 1998-1999 season. the lockout ended at around the halfway point, and there was about a 50 game season. The playoffs for this season played greatly in favor for Philly, the 6th seed, and NY, the 8th seed, and the Knicks went to the Finals to play the Spurs who went on to win the whole thing.

2. I think an NBA lockout is inevitable, given these realities:

• Most NBA teams are losing money because of the bad economy AND the high player salaries, a considerable amount going to players who contribute little to the product on the court. No NBA teams folded or are in danger of it for now, but NBA teams that have owned WNBA teams have either closed the WNBA team or moved them in the last two years, so that is an indicator of how the NBA is doing financially.
  • Players' maximum salaries is making it very hard for teams to add more talent, and most revenue goes to players' salaries today in a bad economy. A player today with 0-6 years in the league could earn up to 25% of the salary cap for his first year's salary, a player with 7-9 years can get up to 35% of the cap for the first year; and a player with 10+ years experience could earn up to 35% of the salary cap, and in up to the next five years after, could get increases of 10.5% each year. Here it is in monetary terms for three players in these categories:
Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? David_11
Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? Caron_11
Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? Kobe11
Most players do not want to give up the salaries they have, especially the bench warmers who make a million to sit, and the mid level exception is a pretty hefty number to get a good free agent more often than not.

• Stern wants the NBA rookies to be 20 or older, or two years out of high school. With a lot of one and dones and HS'ers in the league, that's gonna be hard to push when you're also asking them to cut their salaries.

After this situation is resolved, the owners will win big time, and it almost always has been that way. The NHL went through their drama. The NFL is about to go through its problems after the 2010 season as well, and that will be very scary. A year where there is potentially NO NFL and NO NBA...
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeah,there was in 1999
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?   Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has there ever been a Lockout in NBA?
Page 1 of 1