Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?

Go down 
+11
cbi
OhYouMadCuzImStylinOnYa?!
No Longer DEAD
Fox News
3-peat
Straight Edge Bluntness
J
Awesome
brownie13
King Of NJ
Naif
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Naif
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 2691

Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Eminem owns everybody!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com

AuthorMessage
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm

depends what you mean by "best"...

Because there are guys like Canibus, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, etc. who's lyrics take at least 5 times to actually understand, but then it alllll makes sense and you realize how great they are.

But of course, other people like rappers who people can relate too, I guess for most people that's Eminem nowadays but my personal faves are the Pharcyde, Slug (not really, I just like one of his songs he did with Molemen, Atmosphere's kinda gay), Sixth Sense, Ces Cru, MF Grimm, etc...but it really depends on what you mean by best lyricist.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
College Baller
College Baller
Dwayne

Male Posts : 113

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

LakerGirl wrote:
Lupe is basic. Show me one song where his lyrics will me you say ' wow'.

Dumb It Down
Absolute
The Cool
Mean and Vicious
The Coolest
Go Go Gadget Flow

and a shitload of others
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm fearless
Now hear this
I'm earless
And I'm peerless
That means I'm eyeless

what does the previous lines have to do with his eyes? Thats a weak verse if I ever heard on..gtfoh with lupe..
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 3:41 pm

does that even rhyme
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 3:44 pm

peer2    /pɪər/ Show Spelled
[peer] Show IPA

–verb (used without object)
1. to look narrowly or searchingly, as in the effort to discern clearly.
2. to peep out or appear slightly.
3. to come into view.

He can't peer. So he can't see. You know the definition of peer... I know you do. That was a bad example :/
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 pm

fearless, earless,peerless, hear this all rhyme, especially if said at fast pace. I imagine he goes on to rhyme stuff with eyeless....

Damn I don't even listen to music... this is too easy :/
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Being lyrical also involves delivering a message. Ok, nigga, you can't see..tell me something.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
College Baller
College Baller
Dwayne

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Are you purposely acting fucking stupid?

Oryou decided to judge a song by the first 5 lines?

The entire fucking message of the song is that Lupe raps about shit other than bitches and that his record label and everyone else want him to "dumb it down" so people actually understand his lyrics. The irony of the title is that this is one of his most confusing songs ever cause of all the metaphors and shit.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
College Baller
College Baller
Dwayne

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Took both pills, when a bloke in a trench coat and the locs in the chair had approached him
Here
And he clear as a ghost, so a biter of the throats in the mirror
The writer of the quotes for the ghosts who supplier of the notes to the living
Riveting is rosy, pockets full of posies, given to the mother of the deceased. Awaken at war,
'til I'm restin' in peace

CHORUS:
You goin' over niggas' heads Lu (Dumb it down)
They tellin' me that they don't feel you (Dumb it down)
We ain't graduate from school nigga (Dumb it down)
Them big words ain't cool nigga (Dumb it down)
Yeah I heard Mean And Vicious nigga (Dumb it down)
Make a song for the bitches nigga (Dumb it down)
We don't care about the weather nigga (Dumb it down)
You'll sell more records if you (Dumb it down)
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:28 pm

But the metaphor was wack, therefore, the shit, was wack...He is wack, and you have to be pretty stupid to interpret it as cleverness.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
College Baller
College Baller
Dwayne

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:34 pm

right now.

tell me EVERY metaphor in dumb it down. with meaning. listen to it and then get back at me

i have a feeling you dont even get half of the lines cause its too complicated for you

thats why you missed the fucking obvious peerless/eyeless relation
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Good lyricist don't use metaphors, for one, and I'm not breaking down a whole song, but give me a verse and I will. Complex lyrics, substance, and story make a good rapper. Complex metaphors + fancy words does not mean your a good lyricist. It means you made up a story, and used a thesaurus. I've never heard of one rapper who rapped over my head. How dumb are some of these niggas out here. Mfs acting like these dudes are spitting about quantum physics, astronomy,etc.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
College Baller
College Baller
Dwayne

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Really?

Lupe has insanely complex lyrics,he raps more about REAL shit than 95% of the rappers out there. He raps about hunger,politics,worldwide issues,etc. His entire album the Cool was a STORY with characters...

Failure and Streets On Fire are pretty good too
Listen to Hurt Me Soul if you want substance.
Here I'll give you a link too it as well
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lupefiasco/hurtmesoul.html

You never heard a rapper that went over your head yet you couldn't catch a fuckign relationship between peerless and eyes?
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 pm

I like to think that I'm halfway, semi-intelligent, so I don't look to a rapper to hear about politics. I prefer Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, etc. I consider 'real shit' drugs, money, things people can relate to, because I live in America, and I can get hired, and I do have water.
Back to top Go down
Dwayne
College Baller
College Baller
Dwayne

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 pm

K. Go ahead and listen to Young Money. since you wanna hear rappers brag about their own money and listen to wiz khalifa talking about how high he's getting
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Not about getting high or the money. About getting the money, or selling the drugs. Young money?!? No, you have me confused. Try Fat trel, Chip tha ripper, Brother Ali, Sluttyboyz, Wale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udvnyFiZy_E try that.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:04 pm

And if you're gonna rap about politics, know a little bit about it..just a suggestion to him.
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 pm

LakerGirl wrote:
I like to think that I'm halfway, semi-intelligent, so I don't look to a rapper to hear about politics. I prefer Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, etc. I consider 'real shit' drugs, money, things people can relate to, because I live in America, and I can get hired, and I do have water.

I really dgaf about rap, but if you were semi-intelligent, you sure as hell wouldn't be listening to Glenn Beck.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Don't even go there. Glenn Beck will debate circles around both of us. Glenn Beck is top notch..
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Fox News wrote:
Don't even go there. Glenn Beck will debate circles around both of us. Glenn Beck is top notch..

When you're too far right wing for Fox News to keep you, you know that you're batshit insane.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:28 am

Fiscally right, hell yeah! haha I think poor people do nothing but bring down the value of houses, and neighbor-hoods, all together, therefore I wish for their non-existence. And Glenn Beck and Rush aren't all hardcore-Left like Hannity, Levin, Black, etc. At least not socially speaking, and notice I said hardcore left, because endorsing our monetary system, endorsing the military industrial complex, these are not staunch conservatives, and these are democratic standards. The Republicans have been on a timeline, and as time goes on, we've gone more and more left. Making the party look worse and worse. Don't look at that bitch Sarah Palin and think she's a conservative! The fact is, her and Andrew Jackson could sit and get along for hours. When you hear about these Muslim bashing 'conservatives', or these war monger 'conservatives', I think Reagan would say that is pretty apeshit Liberal, and there is definitely nothing conservative about invading a country, or amending the constitution to outlaw being gay ( or amending it at all, for that matter), or endorsing a unconstitutional monetary system. A conservative without his pocket-sized constitution, isn't a conservative.

Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am

We went from rap lyrics to politics Neutral
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 pm

CHIP THE RIPPER. Ctowns best rapper. Which isn't saying much.

Its either him or Kid Cudi :/
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:06 pm

You hip to that Chip tha Ripper? Perfect example of a guy who uses no metaphors, and can spit a storm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?   Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who is the best lyricist ever in the rap game?
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6