Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?

Go down 
+6
John14
Raza
BNB
Fox News
KD35
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? Empty
PostSubject: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:16 am

I mean some guys like Nate, Shannon etc are well known because of their dunking ability, but for ex. Nate didn't get his job (Celtics) because of his dunking ability, neither did Shannon.

GG is one of my favs because he dunks great and i overrate dunking a lot sometimes, but he still doesn't have a job in the NBA.

So this decade, is dunking overrated or underrated?

I would say it's sligthly, because i don't know someone who's a scrub and gets money because he dunks, or someone who's worse than someone else and gets paid more because of his dunking ability.
Still there are some examples that you can say overration happens.
Iggy (yes i said it), he isn't really a great scorer but his dunking ability fool some into thinking that he's elite.
Dwight, some say that he doesn't need to learn post moves and dunking is enough for him.
A lot of PG's (Rondo,Rose,Westbrook etc) who can dunk good (in comparison with other PG's) end up being overrated because of their dunking ability.
All-Star Game Selection and Slam Dunk Contest.
And i actually know some people in RL and on Y!A that overrate dunking. Here not really.

Underrated?I don't think so.

Share your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 am

My friend thinks Nate Robinson is a very good player just because he can dunk well. I think dunking is a fun skill to have, and adds excitement to the NBA rather than people laying the ball up every fast break. Some players tend to get overrated because they are really good dunkers but I do not really see that often. I really don't see any players like Rose or Rondo or Westbrook getting overrated because of dunking. They all get the credit they deserve. Dunking is just a flashy. I haven't seen any player than can dunk well get into an All-Str game just because of that one skill. For example, have Brow or Nate ever been to the All-Star Game? No. So I don't think its overrated really. Dunking gets overrated by people who don't follow the game as much as others.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 am

Its neither...its just part of the game.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:59 am

What dunking does:

Gives the team momentum. But it can't be a regular dunk.. it have to be a sick dunk, or a dunk on someone.

It shows how athletic you are as a player.

that's pretty much it. It's still only worth 2 points... last time I checked, they don't give a guy 6 points for doing a 360 dunk during a game haha.

and it's also bad for your knees.

When people use dunking to compare players, what they're really comparing is athleticism.

so I don't think it's that overrated.. or underrated.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:42 pm

2 points

2 points

They're the same except people get more excited over a dunk. It does get you more pumped up, but a nicely executed fast break pumps me up when I play haha. So yes, it's slightly overrated, but more fun to see, and the NBA is all about highlight reels nowadays...
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

Male Posts : 3251

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:45 pm

none,its just to entertain the crowd and get the energy high,like when sannon did that dunk in game 6 everybody got exited and pumped up so its niether overated or underrated.
Back to top Go down
Snow.
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Snow.

Male Posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:12 pm

like vince carter SAID while demanding a trade from the Toronto Raptors

"I dont wanna dunk no more, dunkings over-rated... dont ya think?"

1 month later after the trade he was catching alleys from jason kid
Back to top Go down
Mo
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Dunking, I agree with Visa (Brother Suwayd) is really apart of the game. I think in some aspects it's overrated (some players/fans over hype it) and some ways it can be underrated but not so much the case.

Dunking definitely helps your team get momentum, and get wild and really is so cool to see on a highlight reel. I think players who can dunk good, examples: Vince Carter (in his prime), Shannon Brown, Rudy Gay, Russell Westbrook, Rajon Rondo, Dwight Howard, and Nate Robinson to name a few might get a little more attention that they can dunk. But it's not like they are going to different treatment like All-Star teams and what not just because they can dunk.

Dunking also is only worth two points, so it's not like they are going to get 4 points for a sweet dunk or just a normal standing dunk being less. Dunking really just shows athleticism.

Only thing that can be overrated about dunking is that players and people overall just over hype the fact that people can dunk. I think Nate Robinson is a player, that is a little overhyped and overrated because he can dunk. I know that he's 5'9/5'10 and can dunk, but hey even being in the league that short is an accomplishment. Spud Webb could have dunked at 5'7 so Nate, really is nothing new.

I think it's apart of the game, and players have been dunking since the game evolved (not playing in peach baskets, and actually using hoops) and now still really dunk. I think that it really shows the athleticism and really is just cool to see. I would say some aspects can be a little overrated at times, but I don't think dunking is underrated.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Dunking = Scoring.
Scoring = Producing.

Like.. Kobe's Mid-Range or Dwight's Dunks?

Both are almost always in and both give you two points.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:04 pm

If anything dunking is overrated. But depending on the league and the mentality of individual players, the psychological effect of dunking (or seeing a teammate dunk), or giving up an easy dunk (or being a team on that end) can change momentum.
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Snow.
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Snow.

Male Posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Dunking pretty much got Vince Carter an all-star spot back in 2000 right through to 2007
he was the leagues most exciting player at one stage and everyone wanted to see him play. man those days were the good Carter days Sad
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Vince was actually a pretty good scorer...that's why he still has a job today
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?   Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is "Dunking" overrated or underrated?
Page 1 of 1