Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?

Go down 
+9
OhYouMadCuzImStylinOnYa?!
brownie13
J
BNB
No Longer DEAD
Raza
3-peat
Saeed
MC-dizzle
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

Male Posts : 3233

If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? Empty
PostSubject: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 pm

I wouldn't put him in top 5 because the ability to lead your team to a championship is a must to be in that company. Top 10 seems reasonable to me.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? Empty
PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:01 am

To me, Rings don't effect a player's status in how great he is.

He would still have those MVPs, those All Star games, All NBA Teams, his Defense, greatness, whether or not he had Pippen.

I have Olajuwon over Jabbar, CHamberlain, Russell, O'Neal.
Back to top Go down
3-peat
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
3-peat

Male Posts : 14345

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:02 am

I would put him at #14 because he would be missing out on alot of accomplishments and i would have to rank Other players who have accomplished more, especially in the Playoffs and Finals ahead of him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.justin.tv/kobefanz/profile
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:08 am

The hook shot over the dream shake anyday.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:09 am

I agree, Top 10.

Being undefeated in the Finals, 6 rings and 6 Finals MVPs have greatly influenced his G.O.A.T. name
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 am

I would still rank him in the top 5, rings aren't everything. If they were then Bill Russell would be the GOAT and Robert Horry would be just as good as MJ.

MJ would still be in my top 5 becauseI rank a player based on greatness, leadership qualities, and sportsmanship, and even if MJ never won a ring I would still say that he was one of the GOAT because he has every one of those things Not to mention 10 scoring titles Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
3-peat
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
3-peat

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:12 am

MC aka Mother Curser wrote:

The Kobe fadeaway over the Hook shot anyday.
Back to top Go down
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:13 am

Horry never led his team to anything, he was NEVER the man. Russell played in an era where there are like 13 NBA teams and no salary cap so the small teams never had a chance. With that said I think rings are a validation of skills, because you are great so you can lead your team to championships, and to qualify for top 5 all time that's a must for me.

also if Jordan never won any rings than he isn't a good leader.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:15 am

I would still have him ranked pretty high because as an individual player, he was simply amazing.

But even as a bulls fan, I would not consider him the GOAT because he wouldn't have been considered a winner
Back to top Go down
J
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
J

Male Posts : 2286

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 am

Great Thread.

Too hard to tell. No one knows what I would have thought.
I think it depends close he would have gotten, but we would be throwing him in with the Karl Malones and Charles Barkleys.

Then again, he would'nt be Jordan without the championships.

If Karl Malone had 4 championships, would you rank him over Tim Duncan?
This question actually might change my views on a lot of things, because it isn't fair to judge a player based on the ability of their general manager, but then how should we judge them?

It's a never ending question.
Back to top Go down
3-peat
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
3-peat

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 am

Horry never led his team to anything, he was NEVER the man. Russell played in an era where there are like 13 NBA teams and no salary cap so the small teams never had a chance. With that said I think rings are a validation of skills, because you are great so you can lead your team to championships, and to qualify for top 5 all time that's a must for me.

also if Jordan never won any rings than he isn't a good leader.

Yup i agree

He wouldnt have 6 rings
he wouldnt have 6 Final MVPS
He wouldnt be considered a winner
He wouldnt be considered a leader
He wouldn't have any Final stats
He would have less Career points due to not making the Finals
He wouldn't be considered dominant
He wouldn't be considered G.O.A.T

Last edited by KB24-Playa on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 am

Certainly not the best, but in the top ten.

Look what happened to Dominique, great player, but he had no rings if he had at least 1 ring people would regard him as a much better player
Back to top Go down
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:23 am

I ranked Jordan in top 10 because I always considered Jerry West a top 10 player, maybe Kobe bumped him to #11 last year, but if West's 1 championship (he was like 1-5 in Finals) put him in top 10 then Jordan's superior skills should make up for just one championship.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am

Hook Shot>Dream Shake? Are you high?

The Dream Shake completely killed big men in his era, while Johnson and Jabbar can hook it, who can't make a hook shot? Yet a Center being able to do all that Olajuwon does, that's crazy.

Dream Shake>Hook Shot
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:31 am

The Hook Shot was unblockable, I don't really want to go in further details.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 am

Ugh! I wouldn't either.

I mean I think rings mean a lot.
Back to top Go down
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:34 am

SK wrote:

Hook Shot>Dream Shake? Are you high?

The Dream Shake completely killed big men in his era, while Johnson and Jabbar can hook it, who can't make a hook shot? Yet a Center being able to do all that Olajuwon does, that's crazy.

Dream Shake>Hook Shot

right everyone can do the hookshot, Kareem mastered it better than anybody and that shot simply can't be blocked. If Olajuwon went up agains the Showtime Lakers he wouldn't stand a chance. If Jordan never retired I doubt Olajuwon can win a ring, Jordan was too rusty in 95 to be dominating.
Back to top Go down
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:35 am

SK how are u going to block a hookshot from a 7'2 center?
Back to top Go down
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:38 am

if Yao can master the sky hook like Kareem he would be unstoppable, barring injuries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:49 am

I would probably have him in the top 5-8. I reserve the top spots for guys that have led their teams to championships. Leadership and winning are very important factors for me. Oscar Robertson only won 1 championship toward to end of his career and I put him in about the same slot.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 am

he would still be top 10. If he hadn't been on championship teams he would have averaged 38 points for his career. So he would be top 5 even without a championship because his career number would have been through the roof. Something like this:

37pnt, 7reb, 8ast, 3stl, 2blk

That would have been simply amazing.
Back to top Go down
MC-dizzle
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
MC-dizzle

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:55 am

West Coast Bias FC wrote:
he would still be top 10. If he hadn't been on championship teams he would have averaged 38 points for his career. So he would be top 5 even without a championship because his career number would have been through the roof. Something like this:

37pnt, 7reb, 8ast, 3stl, 2blk

That would have been simply amazing.

Jordan's best year was 37pts 8reb 8ast, and this was when he had nobody, in his prime and was getting bumped out of the first round every year. I highly doubt Jordan can average that kind of stat even if he was playing a one man show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 1:01 am

Still in the top 10. His stats alone are insane
Back to top Go down
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 11937

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:46 pm

top 5, maybe top 10.

rings mean something to me i can't just ignore them.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 2:48 pm

I wouldn'g have him as the GOAT, or probably top 5 that's for sure.
You NEED rings to be in that conversation. Maybe 7 or 8 all time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?   If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time? Empty

Back to top Go down

If Michael Jordan never won any championships where would you rank him all time?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next