Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??

Go down 
+3
brownie13
YS
Steve
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

Male Posts : 1710

Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? Empty
PostSubject: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:05 pm

He is considering taking time off to spend it with his family, as his last son is graduating high school next year, and as the #1 PG in the country, has some college choices to make.

Who do you want to see on the bench for the Celtics next year if it isnt Rivers?
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:10 pm

KG might as well retire too
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:10 pm

don't the celtics have this awesome defensive assistant? i wonder if he's too old to want a shot. other than that i really have no opinion on who should coach the celtics next.
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Dub C wrote:
don't the celtics have this awesome defensive assistant? i wonder if he's too old to want a shot. other than that i really have no opinion on who should coach the celtics next.

Yeah Tom Thibodeau would be the most likely candidate, and he isn't old at all, lol. Hes like 45?
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 pm

YS wrote:

Im fine with that, lol...

22 Million more off the cap. Lets go get Bosh instead, lol
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

i really didn't know his age, lol. was wondering. he should definitely be the top candidate should Doc Rivers leave.
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Dub C wrote:
i really didn't know his age, lol. was wondering. he should definitely be the top candidate should Doc Rivers leave.

A bunch of teams have interviewed him in the last couple years, pro and college, but he has never been offered a job, god knows why?
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Cuz he's a Celtic..

damn...I lost my celtics hating touch...
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 pm

YS wrote:

And Pierce, Allen, and Sheed

Then the Celtics can go into a 25 year slump and we'll all be happy
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Raza wrote:
YS wrote:

And Pierce, Allen, and Sheed

Then the Celtics can go into a 25 year slump and we'll all be happy

Actually I rather have the Celtics live out the misery of his remaining contract...

After all he seems to be helping out the opponents more than usual...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD4CLCwH0uA
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm

I really wish we had pulled the trigger on the Rondo for Gay and Conley deal...We just HAD to try to include Ray Allen...
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Steve wrote:
I really wish we had pulled the trigger on the Rondo for Gay and Conley deal...We just HAD to try to include Ray Allen...

Are you being sarcastic?
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 pm

YS wrote:
Actually I rather have the Celtics live out the misery of his remaining contract...

Now that I think about it, isn't the "his remaining contract" just through the playoffs?
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Raza wrote:
YS wrote:

Now that I think about it, isn't the "his remaining contract" just through the playoffs?

I believe he signed a three year deal.
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 pm

YS wrote:
Steve wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

No...the Grizzlies wanted Rondo for Gay and Conley, but the Celtics wanted to add Ray Allen in along with Marc Gasol and a 1st rounder and the Grizzlies laughed at us, lol.
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Steve wrote:
YS wrote:
Steve wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

No...the Grizzlies wanted Rondo for Gay and Conley, but the Celtics wanted to add Ray Allen in along with Marc Gasol and a 1st rounder and the Grizzlies laughed at us, lol.

No, i mean why would you want to do that trade?

Rondo is better than Gay and Conley IMO
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Can you take Gilbert Arenas as your coach? I'd LOVE to get rid of his ass "by any means necessary!"
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 pm

To be serious, Avery Johnson I think would make a good head coach for them or perhaps they may steal Flippy from DC
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:57 pm

YS wrote:
Steve wrote:
YS wrote:
Steve wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

No, i mean why would you want to do that trade?

Rondo is better than Gay and Conley IMO

Im not as big of a Rondo fan as most Celtics fans are, we play terribly when he is used as a main scorer. When the Big 3 leaves he will be, and I dont like the idea of it...
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 pm

I think Rondo is a guy who is a floor general guard more than the typical combo guard that we see more of these days. Celtics will inevitably have to break up the big three after this year if not next, and you'll need to add another young post who can score often down low and succeed KG, and another legit shooter who can start games will be good as well.
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:02 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
I think Rondo is a guy who is a floor general guard more than the typical combo guard that we see more of these days. Celtics will inevitably have to break up the big three after this year if not next, and you'll need to add another young post who can score often down low and succeed KG, and another legit shooter who can start games will be good as well.

To think if the lottery went our way in 2007, we would be looking at this lineup:

C- Kendrick Perkins
PF- Al Jefferson
SF- Paul Pierce
SG- Kevin Durant
PG- Rajon Rondo

Now that team is scary^
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Celtics would not have won the 2008 NBA Finals, but that roster is in a much better position to be a championship caliber team in the long term. The KG and Ray moves were ALL IN moves for the Celtics to have two or three years to win the whole thing, and they got it once. Though this strategy wasn't good for the long term future for the Celtics, it was worth it. People in Bean Town were starting to like the Lakers bandwagon there right before 2007-2008, and that move basically exterminated those bandwagoners and made them Boston "fans" again.

To me, any time a team makes short term moves that end up with a ship, it's worth it. Look at Miami as another example.
Back to top Go down
Steve
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
Celtics would not have won the 2008 NBA Finals, but that roster is in a much better position to be a championship caliber team in the long term. The KG and Ray moves were ALL IN moves for the Celtics to have two or three years to win the whole thing, and they got it once. Though this strategy wasn't good for the long term future for the Celtics, it was worth it. People in Bean Town were starting to like the Lakers bandwagon there right before 2007-2008, and that move basically exterminated those bandwagoners and made them Boston "fans" again.

To me, any time a team makes short term moves that end up with a ship, it's worth it. Look at Miami as another example.

I disagree personally, the Celtics managed to get 17 titles, and all but one of them were won by growing and developing our own talent.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 am

You will find another coach

Get a new good big man and couple of shooters and you have new Celtics again...
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Darko, you should work for Coles/Sparks Notes lol

and kinda a smart move by Doc...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??   Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Doc Rivers considering retirement at the end of the season??
Page 1 of 1