Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

How can the Washington Wizards improve next season?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

How can the Washington Wizards improve next season? Empty
PostSubject: How can the Washington Wizards improve next season?   How can the Washington Wizards improve next season? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 am

The Wizards look good on paper. Here are their possible team rotation next year:

-At the 5 they have JaVale Mcgee who can get 8 or 9 rebounds in 20+ minutes and Fabricio Oberto.

-At the 4 they have Andray Blatche, a talented, all-around player and James Singleton who we have seen get monster rebound numbers in some of his games.

-At the 3 they have a shooter in Mike Miller who could give you 10 points and Al Thornton who is athletic and can also give you 10 points and a couple of rebounds.

-At the 4 they have a former all star who could still drop buckets in Josh Howard, Nick Young who is developing into a nice player and Randy Foye who is undersized but can score.

-At the 5 they have Shaun Livingston who is 6'7 but is more of a point guard, Gilbert Arenas and possibly Earl Boykins.

They could also get a solid player in the draft so that lineup could change.

I didn't include the other players since I just stated the players who will likely be in the rotation for next season.

That lineup is can is a playoff team for me. I just wish that they have better chemistry.

Some problems for the Wiz:

Andray Blatche/Josh Howard - attitude
Nick Young/Al Thornton/James Singleton - consistency
Gilbert Arenas - Self-Control *ehem guns

They also have to be careful about Shaun Livingston's health.

Now how can they improve because I honestly predicted that this team would be in the playoffs at the start of the 09-10 NBA season. This is a solid lineup and I wouldn't want all this talent to go to waste. Could they be having chemistry problems or with the coach?

Edit: I was inspired to make this thread because of thewiz06's Washington Wizard report card.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: How can the Washington Wizards improve next season?   How can the Washington Wizards improve next season? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 am

We draft that tall kid from lithuania, And renardo sydney who will slip into the 2nd rd but absolutly has lottery talentand were set
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: How can the Washington Wizards improve next season?   How can the Washington Wizards improve next season? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Players still under contract going into next season:

Gilbert Arenas
Nick Young
Al Thornton
Andray Blatche
JaVale McGee

Josh Howard has a team option for more than $11 million that is almost certain not to be picked up.
Quinton Ross has a player option for just over $1 million that he may or may not choose to accept, depending on the market for him.
Randy Foye is a restricted free agent and the Wizards can match any offer for him, but it is unlikely they match anything over a couple million.

So that leaves the Wizards with, at maximum a 6 player roster and approximately $30 million in team salaries. Being in a rebuilding stage, with a new owner and new players all around, it is unlikely that they'll be major players in the 2010 free agent class, so they'll most likely look to the draft to add a little more depth to their roster. It is possible that the Wizards will bring back a few players whose contracts run out after this season, since they can promise legitimate playing time to most of them, with such a depleted roster. I don't really see them as having a big opportunity to improve themselves overall unless the four young players remaining on the roster all take the next step in their development that has been lacking. Consistency for Thornton and Young, smarter defense for McGee, and less me-first play from Blatche. They're going to end up with a top 6 pick or so, as well as have a decent amount of free agent money to spend, but that is much more likely to go to players willing to play for smaller, one season contracts than to any type of impact player. I doubt Livingston would choose to stay in Washington as the legitimate back up point guard to Arenas, when he might be able to compete for a starting job elsewhere, or at least be a backup for a playoff-bound team. Foye could stick around, depending on whether or not team offer him anything more than the qualifying offer. Miller probably wants to compete for a championship as he grows older, and likely wants more contract security than the possible 1 year offer the Wizards might offer him. All in all, the Wizards talent is going to lie with the 5 players listed above, and in its lottery pick in the 2010 draft. To improve, it's going to come down to each player working on their weaknesses and gelling as a team, rather than bickering, arguing, and fighting for stats.

So expect a roster of:

Arenas, Young, Thornton, Blatche, McGee, draft picks, and a bunch of cheap one year contracts.

I don't really expect them to win any more than 30 games next season, and at this point, would predict that they end up around 25.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can the Washington Wizards improve next season?   How can the Washington Wizards improve next season? Empty

Back to top Go down

How can the Washington Wizards improve next season?
Page 1 of 1