Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Basketball Help?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 2:52 am

I modeled my game over Allan Houston's, so I am a gifted pure shooter with unlimited range. It is obvious I would model my game over H20 and have been linked to Houston among Michael Redd and Kevin Martin as a type of player.

However, my defense to put it quite simple is sucks. It pretty much is NONEXISTANT, which is weird cause I grew up watching great defenses of the Knicks, but it never stuck. I always wanted to learn, but all I can do good is get steals.

I rely too much on that though and get so many fouls and I am good in nothing whether it be man to man defense, zone defense, perimeter defense, and even help defense. How can I learn especially if I am lazy that is also a big problem of mine I am lazy without meaning to be it comes natural. How can I change this and actually learn to d up?
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 am

Dont ask me... Im the same exact player as you. Im a very good shooter but im an awful defender.

the only time i play D is when I get pissed.

so my advice.... watch waterboy hahahahah [pretend it basketball and dont hurt people]
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 am

I love that movie Waterboy. "No mamma you're the Devil."

Man if you and me go mano a mano @ the UC you tellin me that the crowd would have to get the both of us pissed in order to play d lol. It will just be a lot of gunning between the both of us if they don't lol.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:01 am

hahahahahahaha

there will be a lot of open lay-ups...

hahahah.

I get mad when I start losing or if im not hitting shots. Then I play D.
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:03 am

I am the same way, but it either goes my d is alright and not unsolvable or it isn't my d at all and the player is just missing shots. If I am mad I just try to ram it and attack the paint offensively.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 am

its all about knowing when to use your body and how to use it. I am usually one of the slowest players in the court (but a guard), but I play D. If you can make them go where you want them to, then you never gonna give up something easy, even if you're not a great on ball defender.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 am

Aww.. You poor little fellers. 8 BPG 3 SPG <<< SK!!!

What you need help on? Man to Man? Blocking?

Yeah thats right, the 12 year old teaches the 19 year old.

So..

Edit:
Defensive Beast Mode:
12 blocks, 5 steals Wink
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 am

SK22 lol that is a beast defensive team.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:10 am

See im fast as hell, can shoot lights out, pass like CP3..... then everything else is average.

Im not that great in the paint either.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:11 am

Im not talking bout the team... im talking bout myself... I gloat a lot Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 am

I'm not that quick, but quick enough. I am just very savvy and I hit unorthodox and tough shots very well w. the ability to be lights out. I am a good passer and a good defender I know where to be to get boards. LOL SK22 that is good hope you like Gary Payton though a trash talker that backs it up.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 am

I practice hard shits!! hahaha

Thats what makes the open shots easy haha
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:22 am

Not defender lol rebounder
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:23 am

Man to Man:
On Ball-
On ball Man to Man is hardest, keep your eyes on his hips (yeah I know). If he drives sync your body with him. Stay a close measured distance away from him. Get too close, he shakes you. Get too far, he can make the play. If you can keep a hand on him so you know he doesn't go anywhere. If he puts the ball in front of you, it's obvious what to do. If he stops his dribble, crowd him. Crowd him. CROWD HIM. THe most important thing, I already mentioned, is to stay in sync with his body.
Off Ball-
Off ball defense is very easy once you get it right. Crowd him really really much. Keep two hands on him at all times. Do not let him go (I don't mean hold on or anything). If the player with the ball is holding the ball, and your on off ball defense, deny the ball. Keep a whole arm between the player you are defending and the ball handler. Keep your hands wide out and don't foul.

Zone: The key to Zone defense is defensive awareness. If you don't have much of it, your screwed. Okay maybe not completely screwed, but it's gonna be hard. What you got to focus on in a Zone defense structure is your arms, your teammates, and the ball. Stay in your zone, but always have your arms wide out, and like I said, know where the ball and your teammates are. You don't have to crowd the player yourself, the double team/trap comes along when it can, and when it does, you would know when to make it happen.
Zone Help: Help defense in a Zone defensive coverage is hard. You have to make sure you are on both halves of the court and you keep an eye on everyone, that's what makes it hard. Move with the flow of the players around you. Don't change the rhythm of you and your teammates movements, if you do, the whole team is out of sync, and you crash.

Hmm... you seem like a perimeter defensive player, so you defend mostly jump shots, and like Shane Battier always does, keep a hand in his face on every shot. Cover his eyes if you can, he wouldn't see the basket for one, two he has his mind off of the shot. He takes his mindset off to you and your hand thats in your face which delays time off the shot in which forces him to "throw it up" without the jumps affect on powering the shot.

If your opponent drives, you dont have to be side by side with him. Do what you can to cut him off. Do not let him get to the basket. Make him settle for a jumper if you can, and like I said up there, hand in his face.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Edit:
That wasn't too long, I've answered Kobe or Lebron Questions on Y!A with more detail Razz

Last edited by SK22 Howard= Real MVP on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:24 am

Yeah me too people always look at me weird though when they see me shooting around practicing shooting hard shots. For fun sometimes I shoot half courters on my knees I even made a few. The most I made in 1 day was 3: 2 in a row and 1 after missing 4.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:25 am

I meant shot, not shits!! hahahahahhaahah!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 am

Thanks SK that is very imformative I'll be sure to practice it.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 am

Tony EM Supports Pringles wrote:
I'm not that quick, but quick enough. I am just very savvy and I hit unorthodox and tough shots very well w. the ability to be lights out. I am a good passer and a good defender I know where to be to get boards. LOL SK22 that is good hope you like Gary Payton though a trash talker that backs it up.

No, I like the idea of one of my favorite players of All-time, Hakeem Olajuwan or Scottie Pippen. Except I'm not a big man, so Pippen, I like to be like Pippen.
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:28 am

Scottie Pippen was wrongfully underrated for his career he was so much better than he was given credit for, which was crazy cause people already say he is a beast.
Back to top Go down

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:29 am

hard shits hahah RO
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 am

Wow Rock On, how do you practice hard shits?
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 am

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

im still laughing about that typo

practice taking hard shits.... wow im an idiot
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:38 am

I practiced hard shots a lot and a coach once made me the designated half court shot taker.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 am

I'm the designated Chase Down defender, I'll rape you if you try to have a successful fast break grrr....
Back to top Go down
VP
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
VP

Male Posts : 517

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 2:52 pm

SK [Defensive Beast Mode] wrote:
Man to Man:
On Ball-
On ball Man to Man is hardest, keep your eyes on his hips (yeah I know). If he drives sync your body with him. Stay a close measured distance away from him. Get too close, he shakes you. Get too far, he can make the play. If you can keep a hand on him so you know he doesn't go anywhere. If he puts the ball in front of you, it's obvious what to do. If he stops his dribble, crowd him. Crowd him. CROWD HIM. THe most important thing, I already mentioned, is to stay in sync with his body.
Off Ball-
Off ball defense is very easy once you get it right. Crowd him really really much. Keep two hands on him at all times. Do not let him go (I don't mean hold on or anything). If the player with the ball is holding the ball, and your on off ball defense, deny the ball. Keep a whole arm between the player you are defending and the ball handler. Keep your hands wide out and don't foul.

Zone: The key to Zone defense is defensive awareness. If you don't have much of it, your screwed. Okay maybe not completely screwed, but it's gonna be hard. What you got to focus on in a Zone defense structure is your arms, your teammates, and the ball. Stay in your zone, but always have your arms wide out, and like I said, know where the ball and your teammates are. You don't have to crowd the player yourself, the double team/trap comes along when it can, and when it does, you would know when to make it happen.
Zone Help: Help defense in a Zone defensive coverage is hard. You have to make sure you are on both halves of the court and you keep an eye on everyone, that's what makes it hard. Move with the flow of the players around you. Don't change the rhythm of you and your teammates movements, if you do, the whole team is out of sync, and you crash.

Hmm... you seem like a perimeter defensive player, so you defend mostly jump shots, and like Shane Battier always does, keep a hand in his face on every shot. Cover his eyes if you can, he wouldn't see the basket for one, two he has his mind off of the shot. He takes his mindset off to you and your hand thats in your face which delays time off the shot in which forces him to "throw it up" without the jumps affect on powering the shot.

If your opponent drives, you dont have to be side by side with him. Do what you can to cut him off. Do not let him get to the basket. Make him settle for a jumper if you can, and like I said up there, hand in his face.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Edit:
That wasn't too long, I've answered Kobe or Lebron Questions on Y!A with more detail Razz

This.
Only one note on help defense though...you must ALWAYS know where the ball is. You're denying your opponent the ball, but it opens you up for help D if you know where the ball is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Basketball Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basketball Help?   Basketball Help? Empty

Back to top Go down

Basketball Help?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next