Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?

Go down 
+4
Tar Heel
Darko
BNB
KD35
8 posters
AuthorMessage
KD35
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
KD35

Male Posts : 6732

Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? Empty
PostSubject: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:34 pm

I got the idea for this thread from another one where people completely forgot about Russell Westbrook. A lot of those people had Rose at the 5 spot, and I think Westbrook is the 5th best PG in the NBA.

17/5/8/1.5

He's nearly had a triple double in several games this season, and also had a quadruple double almost. His assist/turnover ratio is much better than last years. He is one of the best rebounders for his position, and is a good defender.

His shooting is getting better since he has stopped shooting 3's. He's a nightly triple double threat as well.

So.....do you consider him a top 5 PG in the NBA?

Russell Westbrook or Derrick Rose?
(note that many people thought Westbrook was a reach with the number 4 pick in the draft)
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 pm

he's getting there

he still turns the ball over.. a lot... and his FG% is still low.. it's getting better though.

one advantage he has over a lot of PG's, like rose, is his size.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 am

No,not yet but he's certainly the most gifted one.He reminds me of more athletic Gary Payton...
He's excellent defender,passer,rebounder and good scorer,i will say that he's probably the best defensive PG in the NBA now but not a Top 5 PG...

And he isn't better then Rose,Derrick is better
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 8:34 am

Right now? I give Rose the edge by a little. But in the future, I think it will be Westbrook; he has more potential than Rose to me. He's 6'3 and has really long arms for his size; plus, he's very athletic. There are two problems I have with him:

1. He can't shoot (well, not from any kind of range, at least)
2. Turnovers

Fortunately, both of those can be fixed with some hard work on and off the court. So in a couple years, he'll be a Top 5 PG. Right now...no. Just wait.
Back to top Go down
Stefan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Stefan

Male Posts : 940

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 am

No,not yet.But he will be when Nash and Billups are going to retire.

My list of top 10 PG in the NBA Now:

1.Deron Williams
2.Chris Paul
3.Steve Nash
4.Chauncey Billups
5.Derick Rose
6.Rajon Rondo
7.Jason Kidd
8.Russel Westbrook
9.Tyreke evans(even I think that he should be SG)
10.Steph Curry
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 am

No, not yet, son though next 2 yrs.

1.deron williams
2,chauncey billups
3.steve nash
4.chris paul
5.Rajon rondo
6.jason kidd
7.Derrick rose
8.Baron davis
9.Tony parker
10.evans/,miller/westbrook
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:41 am

Wow....@the lists
Back to top Go down
EM:)
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:00 pm

--. Steve Nash
--. Chauncey Billups
3.) Deron Williams
4.) Tony Parker
5.) Chris Paul
6.) Derrick Rose
7.) Russell Westbrook
8.) Raymond Felton
9.) Tyreke Evans
10.) Mo Williams, Andre Miller, Baron Davis, Mike Bibby, & Jason Kidd
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:02 pm

parker/billups over paul?
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Yeah I think that they are better than CP3. I think CP3 is a good player with a lot of skill, but I kind of think of him as being somewhat overrated. I don't think he's all that special defensively; he is a good scorer,but to passive offensively for my liking; not to mention he hasn't really proved anything in big game scenarios (kind of disappears in them), and I really don't think he's lived up to all his hype. Although, he does have very good handles and court vision and could make plays. I just prefer Billups & Parker right now.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:07 pm

he's a better defender than parker. Better passer than parker and better scorer in parker...
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm

I don't know about better scorer Parker has a higher scoring game than CP3 for their careers and Parker has won series for SA in the past. I think he's a better leader than Paul. I really don't think he's a better defender than Parker that's kind of subjective. Parker has been part of great defensive schemes playing for SA over these years, so it makes him look good defensively (maybe even better than what he actually is). But, CP3's defense is not impressive by my standards he plays for steals that's the bulk of his defense. And I do think CP3 is a better passer than Parker. Yet, Parker is not a scrub passer he does just fine running a team that is not built to have a PG that racks up a slew of assists. I don't think CP3 would get the assists that he does now if he played in SA. Although, it can be said that Paul is a better playmaker than Parker. I think Parker controls the game better. And honestly head 2 head Parker is just too fast for CP3 to handle on a consistent basis I think.

Anyways, I think Deron Williams is the PG of the future he will be the best PG in the NBA for many years. I think he is just excellently built. He is what the next model of PG's should be.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:20 pm

CP turned the hornets around. Parker got added on to a team that was already great.

That was ONE game tony parker scored 50+... doesn't mean anything. CP is a better shooter and better scorer all around

San antonio still would have won Rings if they had CP... The hornets wouldn't have been any better if Parker was leading that team.

and I don't think Parker is a better leader than CP because Duncan leads the spurs.. not parker
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeah, but what about the Cleveland Finals? That was Parker's series and in the final stretch of the Spurs/Hornets series Parker took it upon himself to help seal the series and was even the primary player in some of those games. Even upstagging CP3 in crutial times. I think it's unfair to judge just how far Parker can take the Spurs being that he's never known a time that he's never played w/o TD. When TD retires in the upcoming years Parker, who is still relatively young will be in his prime. Judge him then not now. I for one think that the Hornets be exactly the same as they are right now with Parker and not Paul.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 8:02 am

My list,it's crazy but it's my list

1.Deron Williams
-Chris Paul
2.Derrick Rose
3.Steve Nash
4.Chancey Billups
5.Rajan Rondo
6.Jason Kidd
7.Russell Westbrook
8.Tony Parker
9.Steph Curry
10.um....Darren Colinson

Last edited by Simon Ammann on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 10:46 am

No
Back to top Go down
Stefan
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Stefan

Male Posts : 940

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 am

It's crazy just that Derick Rose is #2 and that there is not Jason Kidd in this list.Weard!!! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:29 am

Simon Ammann wrote:
My list,it's crazy but it's my list

1.Deron Williams
-Chris Paul
2.Derrick Rose
3.Steve Nash
4.Chancey Billups
5.Rajan Rondo
6.Russell Westbrook
7.Tony Parker
8.Steph Curry
9.um....Darren Colinson
10.Raymond Felton

Tyreke is more of a SG now

wow...its definetly crazy..like you said..
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:50 am

Yeap

And i forgot Kidd,let me edit my list again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?   Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Russell Westbrook a top 5 PG in the NBA?
Page 1 of 1