Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?

Go down 
5 posters

Should Florida get invited to the Big Ten?
Chomp! Chomp! Yes! Chomp!
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Vote_lcap0%Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No, it's gonna harm Florida more than help them
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Vote_lcap67%Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Yes, if the Big Ten invites more southern schools perhaps.
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Vote_lcap33%Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Empty
PostSubject: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 pm

University of Florida
The Academics

Type of School: Public
Total Student Population: 51,474
Undergrads: 34,654
Demographics: 8% Asian; 10% Black; 15% Hispanic; 66% White; 1% International
Sex Ratio: 46% male; 54% female
%age of Natives: 96% are Floridian

Ranking: 47th among Full Research Universities
AVG SAT of admitted kids: 1300
Endowment: $977,394,000

CURRENT CONFERENCES: Southeastern (all sports)

Football stadium capacity: 88,548
Men's Basketball capacity: 12,000

Women's Basketball capacity: 12,000
Most notable money sport: Football

The University of Florida is the flagship public university in the state, and to most people, and to Playboy magazine this is the type of school it is:

Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? 00e04c10

Or seeing girls who put stuff like this on their shirts:
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Hot-ga10

Well, sure, they party hard, but the school is no joke from the books. Yes, this is a VERY POPULAR SCHOOL, arguably the most popular school to get in the country right now, because of the hot girls who will drop their panties during parties when they're crunk, the power of their sports, but more important than any of those things really, yes really, the academics are really good and getting better. In fact, because of its rising popularity among Floridians, and even nationwide (just imagine that possibly over a third of all applicants are applying for 6% of the available slots,) the University of Florida capped their Freshman class number to 6,600, and only accept about 10,000 students a year out of an applicant base of 25,000 or more kids, and it grows each year. Back in my day, over half of all applicants got in here, now, that's not the case. Part of capping their freshman class base makes their school just more desirable and better of course. It is a long term goal to be one of the Top Five Public Universities in the US, since they believe that they're already better than the likes of Georgia Tech, Illinois, Wisconsin, UC-San Diego, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, and William and Mary and they're on their way to being better than all of these schools if things play out right. In short, they want to be like another Michigan, another Virginia, another Berkeley, and another UCLA.

Academically in the graduate level, Florida is a consistent Top 50 school in Law, Medicine, Business, Education, and one of the Top 25 in Engineering perennially, adding to its academic clout.

Athletically, football is king here, where they've claimed three national championships in the last 15 years, and have three Heisman winners to their credit. The men's basketball teams have been to three Final Fours in the last 15 years, and won two consecutive national championships. Women's basketball has had some moments and some WNBA stars once were Gators, but it's not really a forte for them per se. Among olympic sports, the Gators are still chomping SEC championships left and right from baseball to XC and golf, where they won four national titles and they've won four more in women's tennis. In short, they're damn good.

Why Florida should be in the Big Ten
As an academic AND an athletic fit. This is a dream. I think I mentioned every reason for them to be in. Second, isn't this University of Utopia? Nice climate, good school, and some of the rated R perks I mentioned?

Why Florida should not be in the Big Ten
Well, let's stop drinking Kool Aid for a second and hit reality. First, the Big Ten is in the midwest and the northern part of the US. Florida is in the Southeast. If BC before our hypothetical expansion of UConn and Rutgers was the lone dot on the map, Florida will be in a worse spot.

Second, the Gators are the face of the SEC and a very important academic piece for their conference which really doesn't have much academic clout at all after you take UF, Vandy, and UGA out of the picture. Florida basically is one of THE faces of the SEC and they already have some nice TV deals as it is despite not having their own network per se.

Third, the rivalries that Florida enjoys against Georgia, and Tennessee are likely good bye if they decide to go to the Big Ten. In fact, they could be banned from the schedule of every SEC school in every sport. That would hurt their athletic program if anything. So, if Florida comes in the Big Ten, you may want to snag another school from the south to help mitigate this and expand to as many as 16 teams.

Final Verdict
If Florida were located in Ohio, I'd invite them today. Now. Stat. Otherwise if I'm the Big Ten expansion committee, I'd hold onto an invite unless I want to expand to 14 or 16 teams, and definitely, another southern school should be taken so the SEC's power will be diminished from a conference wide ban on the new southern Big Ten schools.

Florida alumni
Steve Spurrier (Class of 1967)
Won the Heisman in 1966 as a QB; was the Head Coach at Duke where he won the ACC regular season title; at Florida where he led the Gators to a national title in 1996, and is now the don at South Carolina, after he took a two year stint with the Washington Deadskins.
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Spurri10
Emmitt Smith (Class of 1996)
1989 SEC POY; 8x Pro Bowl Halfback for the Dallas Cowboys; 2010 Hall of Fame Inductee
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Emmitt10

Stanley Benton, a/k/a Stat Quo (Class of 2000)
Rap artist, Majored in Economics and International Relations at UFL. Yes he graduated.
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Stat_q10

Erin Andrews (Class of 2000)
ESPN Sports Reporter, mostly for college football and men's college hoops.
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Erin-a10

Abby Wambach (Class of 2002)
All American soccer player; won the Gold Medal in the 2004 Olympics.. And for American pro soccer here, she plays for DC!
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Wambac10

David Lee (Class of 2005)
Was an All-SEC player at Florida; more famous for being the star player and de-facto franchise player (until LeBron, Dwyane and Chris supposedly come) and All Star Center of the New York Knicks.
Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Lee_da10
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 11:59 pm

where is the GTFO option? I don't want Florida anywhere near the Big Ten. They're a dirty program; the new decade's Miami.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:08 am

Daddizique wrote:
where is the GTFO option? I don't want Florida anywhere near the Big Ten. They're a dirty program; the new decade's Miami.

Well I really don't think they would take a Big Ten invite either. But I think they are a pretty ideal candidate otherwise, and besides, these athletes travel by plane to their destinations anyway, which is to play devils advocate.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 am

i just hate Florida Mad
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 am

Daddizique wrote:
i just hate Florida Mad

okay, point taken
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:22 pm

☆®¥ån☆ wrote:

I agree with that. I don't hate Florida though

The Gators are perfect in the SEC.

Florida Gators fans are bandwagoners though, most were Miami Hurricanes fans in the early 2000s, and Florida State fans in the 90s
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Ewwwww.
Florida. Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? 117549
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't see why the Big 10 shouldn't offer them, but I also have no idea why Florida would want to accept.

Plus, I hate Florida. I wouldn't know who to root for if it came down to Florida and Ohio State every year for the Big 10 championship...I guess Ohio State because I passionately hate Florida, but... Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? 117549
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:21 am

North Carolina Lakelbeast wrote:
I don't see why the Big 10 shouldn't offer them, but I also have no idea why Florida would want to accept.

Plus, I hate Florida. I wouldn't know who to root for if it came down to Florida and Ohio State every year for the Big 10 championship...I guess Ohio State because I passionately hate Florida, but... Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? 117549

Well there's Michigan, lol. Assuming they're relevant AFTER expansion (I think they'll be back soon in terms of being a ranked team most years, Rodriguez's system is just taking awhile) and the spread does work in the Big Ten. Look at Northwestern. They bring in crappy recruits and they still make a bowl game most seasons.
Back to top Go down
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah, Michigan was great to root for, but after hiring Rodriguez...ehhhhhhhhh...I don't like him much. So I'll have to hope JoePa sticks around even more lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?   Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Florida be invited to the Big Ten?
Page 1 of 1