Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)

Go down 
4 posters

Should Fresno State be part of the Pacific 12?
It's all about the dollars and wins man, they deserve a shot.
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Vote_lcap0%Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I think I'll take Boise any day over this school given the academics.
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Vote_lcap100%Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Vote_rcap
 100% [ 3 ]
Where's Rafer Alston?
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Vote_lcap0%Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Where's Dominic McGuire?
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Empty
PostSubject: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 pm

California State University, Fresno

The Academics
Type of School: Public
Total Student Population: 22,613
Undergrads: 19,245
Demographics: 15% Asian; 6% Black; 34% Hispanic; 42% White; 1% Native American; 1% International
Sex Ratio: 42.8% male; 57.2% female
%age of Natives: 99% are from California
Ranking: 38th among Masters Universities-Western US
AVG SAT of admitted kids: 930
Endowment: $104,387,792

CURRENT CONFERENCES: Western Athletic (all sports)
Football stadium capacity: 41,031
Men's Basketball capacity: 15,544
Women's Basketball capacity: 15,544
Most notable money sport: Football

California State University, Fresno, or better known as Fresno State, is a public university located in Central California, located about 200 miles or so east of San Francisco. The school is part of the California State University system (as opposed to the University of California system) where each of the schools in its system is more heavily focused on undergrad education, and a limited number of masters programs, which tend to be more focused on education and teacher training as are many schools which are in the same mold throughout the country. The University of California schools are all heavily focused on post graduate research. The university is one of the largest schools of the CSU umbrella.

Why Fresno State should be in the Pac 12
First, and foremost, the Bulldogs already play in facilities that are ready for Big Six conference play. Their basketball and football facilities are already well sized, and they are competitive in a number of sports and are one of the better FBS football teams in particular where they beat Big Six opponents more often than not, and their baseball team is one of the best in the west, though they were a Cinderella of sorts, when they won the 2008 College World Series. Fresno State as it is already has decent clout, the school has a large alumni base (and following), so they should be able to be competitive in the Pac 10 athletically in not too much time at all.

Why Fresno State should NOT be in the Pac 12
I said Boise State had academic deficiencies. Well, Fresno State is just....worse. I won't say what the Pac 10 academic elite will say about Fresno State joining the Pac 12, especially the two UC's that are in there, but if Arizona State and Washington State are gonna have a hissy fit about a subpar academic institution (the 930 avg SAT is well below the national average), then that says something. Big.

Final Verdict
The Bulldogs have practically no chance of joining the Pac 12. Of the schools listed so far, I may go so far to say that the Pac 10 schools would pick Boise State over CSU-Fresno if those two schools were left and were the make or break school for a Pac 10 Football Championship game. Athletically, Fresno State will be fine in rather short time in my opinion, but the academic deficiencies are way too much and are the kiss of death for them that prevents them from having any serious consideration for th Pac 12 in my eyes. That is from the eyes of a Pac 10 president.

California State University, Fresno Alumni
Paul O'Neill (Class of 1960)
Former Chairman and CEO of the Rand Corporation, Former Chairman and CEO of Alcoa, and was the Secretary of the Treasury from 2001-2002
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Oneill10

August Garrido (Class of 1961)
Baseball player for the Bulldogs, part of the Fresno State team that went to its first ever College World Series in 1959. Best known as the Head Baseball Coach at the University of Texas, where the Longhorns made 12 College World Series appearances and won five national championships. Garrido is the all time winningest college baseball coach in Division I.
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Garrid10

Jeff Tedford (Class of 1983)
Quarterback of the football team whose most notable performance came in the 1983 California bowl where he led the Bulldogs to a thrilling 29-28 win over Bowling Green. Today, he is the head coach at UC-Berkeley, where he has led the Bears to seven straight bowl berths and four Top 25 finishes in eight seasons. Maybe he can try to lobby for his alma mater!
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Tedfor10
Laura Berg (Class of 1998)
Softball player, four time Olympic medalist (won gold in 1996, 2000, 2004, and won silver in 2008)
Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Berg1010

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Noooo.
Just no.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 pm

CBI wrote:
Noooo.
Just no.

Well, did I sway your opinion or did you kind of think this way all along?
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 pm

No because i read about their academics.. and plus i never hear about them doing shit in football or basketball lol. I mean.. they got that RB in the draft thsi yer.. thats all i ever hear about Fresno lol
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 pm

CBI wrote:
No because i read about their academics.. and plus i never hear about them doing shit in football or basketball lol. I mean.. they got that RB in the draft thsi yer.. thats all i ever hear about Fresno lol

Well Fresno State is decent in football every year, well, now I guess we know why, lol.... I'm so bad.
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 am

yah, lol. fresno. it sucks. they not going anywhere.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 10:56 am

Fresno is a decent WAC team but not good enough for a power conference. Other than Football they're nothing special
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)   Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11) Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Fresno State be part of the Pac 12? (Part 5 of 11)
Page 1 of 1