Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

My Conclusion on the Wizards

Go down 
+4
Nick C
No Longer DEAD
Fox News
wallshingtonwizard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

My Conclusion on the Wizards Empty
PostSubject: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 6:14 pm

If you see this video, this is what Ernie Grunfeld will say about the Wizards over the last few years, "Okay, I fucked up!"

What is wrong with the Wizards?

After seeing this team the last few years and now the first quarter of this season. I have finally hit my conclusion about the core:

The core must be broken up, and the team must start again from scratch.

Yes, I'm a fan, but like Bob Knight, I'm tired of this. Here's five reasons why:

1. Injured core players at the WRONG TIME screwed up chemistry and the playoff potential of the team

There is a contigent of my brethren that yes, we were at one time, for a week in the 2006-2007 season, the best team in the East, and one of the best in the NBA, right before Tawn got hurt, and then Butler got hurt, and then you know who. Unfortunately, we can't look at ONE week as the NBA's best team as the reason why we should keep the Big Three, AND their core together, along with Gilby's buzzer beating shots. As exciting as they were, without those three buzzer beaters against Milwaukee, Utah, and now OKC, our team could have been 38-44 assuming we lost all three in OT, which would have barely gotten us in the playoffs, if at all.

With injuries come new opportunities, and sometimes players develop in unintended ways, even in a good way. Caron Butler is the prime example. He was supposed to be a complimentary star to Arenas and be ball handler #2. With Arenas out the last two seasons, Butler has become the prototypical point forward more or less scoring 20, grabbing 6 boards, and stealing the ball nearly twice a game, along with over 4 dimes! Over this time, it's also important to note that he became ball handler #1, not #2. In 07-08, yes, Antonio Daniels was a vital PG who held the ship intact, but Butler's outstanding play as a point forward also contributed to this. Even last year, when we just had bodies at the point, our weakest position, Caron was the de facto PG.

While he flourishes in the Princeton, he is not doing as well in Flip Saunders' traditional PG system, since Caron has to be more catch and shoot and must be able to make a quick pass to an open player rather than play PG iso (look at Rip, Tayshaun, and at Minny, Latrell Sprewell and Wally World were in this role. The only point forward that was in Flip's scheme of things is KG, but as we know, KG is an exceptional player, and Caron is a great player, but not exceptional.

2. New coaching system only fits only one of the "Big Three"

My last point transitions here. Great coaches know how to get players involved. But even then you can't always fit everybody. There will always be players and coaches who like each other, respect other, but won't fit best with each other. The Big Shaqtus showed us that. Shaq likes Phoenix, he transitioned his game some to fit in with their pace, which is almost as fast (or just as fast) as one of Billy Mays' pitch lines. But was he really the center you wanted for their team? Nope! Of the big three, only one player fits in. Antawn Jamison. He's able to catch and shoot, play in the flow of the offense, and his individual defensive inabilities are masked in the zone. You already see how Caron is out of place. And Gil is an ATM, Automatic Turnover Machine, not to mention that he slows the game down on offense. That is very hard for anyone to say when you're talking about a Wizards team that's healthy at least among the Big Three.

3. We are trying to overcompare ourselves to the Cavaliers' development a bit too much

One rationale some of my brethren will tell ya is that the Wizards and Cavaliers in 2005-2006 were even teams that match up well together, and that if anything DC was better than the Cavs, with LeBron back then. That was three years ago. The only Cavs from that roster still there today as big timers besides LeBron and Z is no one that's significant enough to mention. The Cavs are quick to change cores and like the '60's hate group Black Panthers, they will get a winning team for LeBron "by all means necessary" if that means getting Ben Wallace in 2007 and dumping Larry Hughes, or going in an all out move to get Shaq this year among others. The Wizards don't try to do that, saying continuity is the way to go. Maybe for a year or two, sure if injuries hit. But after two and a half years of injuries to core players, a new coaching system, and a bad coare, that needs to make you wonder what the hell is going on here. At least Cleveland knows when to blow it up, and somehow still build chemistry with the next core around LeBron.

4. The Inability to Blow It Up when it was obviously warranted

Last year definitely exposed us, and even last year, I think we should have very seriously traded Jamison and Butler to Cleveland for Wally World and Big Ben. The Cavs lineup would have been Mo, Butler, LeBron, AJ, and Z with Varejao to backup the big men, Hot and Cold West and Titties to back up the backcourt. That lineup would've been sick and Mike Brown would teach AJ how to play D. You also would have bought LeBron the 2009 NBA championship because AJ and Caron couldn't beat 'em so they joined 'em, and with an NBA championship from 2009 over the Kobes, the Cleveland LeBrons would certainly be favored to do it again in 2010 because when LeBron isn't dunking, he's passing to Mo for threes, Caron for open drives and dunks, and AJ for open shots, and clean up points that no one else knows how to do, while Z just has to watch and give a hard foul and an open shot when the others are off.

For us, we would have had a major improvement on defense and three point shooting in both Ben and Wally respectively, on needs that WE needed, not that they would do much for us anyway after going to the best to worst Eastern Conference teams. So simple, we sit their asses on the bench, play out Nick Young, Dom, Dray, and JaVale and see what they got. Second, they were expiring contracts that we could have used to lure in a David Lee or Villanueva to go with Gilby if we still didn't want the draft pick for this year. In addition, Rick James, Haywood, and D Song/Pech/Etan OR Mike Miller/Foye's contracts expire this year so we can clear more cap for the future or sign one of the two A or A-1 list FA's actually leaving their teams in July 2010 that the New York Knicks has been having wet dreams about.

5. The Core has been inconsistent or Regressed or injured overall
Take away the big three, and Haywood is the most consistent of the core. Second place is a tie between D-Song and AD, now with the Hornets and at home respectively. DeShawn comes in third place because his 06-07 and 07-08 seasons were good. But starting with DeShawn, who had to battle injuries last year and is still just not getting it done on Offense this year despite being healthy (or so he says), plus Nick Young's inablity to come off the bench in order to be consistent hurts. Our backups are at best stopgaps.

At PG, we have Mini Me, who has become a fan favorite. But the guy is 34 years old, it's only gonna be a year or two before he regresses though he stays in great shape. SG continues to be an issue, as Randy Foye got knocked out of the backup PG role and still can't shoot as a SG here despite being in the SAME offense as last year when he lit the stat sheet consistently! Mike Miller is our best point forward and swingman, better than Caron, at least for Flip's system, but he too is injured, so Minny is laughing at our asses as I type this and they probably got the better end of the trade as of now. Dom hasn't done anything for us this year, though we can use his D from time to time. At PF and C we have issues after AJ and Haywood. Blatche has improved a lot, but he still tries to play like KG on welfare, and unfortunately, he doesn't have KG skills despite having a decent diverse game. Next Oberto can pass and defend down low, but he's old, and he now can't flop for his life because the refs are agains the Wizards unlike the Spurs, though he still will be useful for a playoff run if we make it. Then JaVale McGee is a jumping bean, but he either never gets minutes, or is otherwise just not good enough to be a regular NBA player right now. So really, our bench has potential, but they just leave that at the front porch when in a Wizards uniform, including Mike Miller.

What's my proposal?

Well right now blowing up the roster isn't going to do much good, because even that isn't in the Wizards' best interest. All deals should be made toward the February deadline. Most tradeable guy is Caron. For example, send him to LA and we can pick up Lamar Odom and maybe Farmar or some guy who wants to start and deserves to. Caron can do everything Odom does and pass better though he can't rebound like Odom. Kobe also loves Caron as a teammate.

Better option is to deal with Cleveland and concede that they're just better than we are and know how to build cores and get them to play with LeBron quickly. Maybe if Shaq continues to be inconsistent in LeBron's town, we can trade Caron AND Antawn to the Cavaliers and we get Shaq. It's not like Shaq is consistent there anyway. Also we get a nice expiring contract, and LeBron has two run and gun players to pass to and know how to ball. With Tawn and Caron and LeBron, they will win the 2010 NBA Finals 4-0 over the Lakers, guaranteed. We could then have a lineup of Shaq AND Haywood together that could be unconvential but potentially fun to watch. It's not like Shaq wants to be in DC past this year anyway, and vice versa.

Now, we added Foye and Miller this year for our team. Let them walk. Miller will do well wherever he goes, and chances are he probably wants to go back to Memphis where he became a star. Foye hasn't done anything here, partly because he got injured and Mini Me came along and stole his minutes.

Can we trade Arenas away? No. Not because he's our franchise player, but because no one WANTS him. Perhaps dumping Stevenson is also a priority in our controlled fire sale.

What if the Wizards turn around? Well, good question. Here's the answer. EVEN IF they win the 2010 NBA Finals, you still need to blow them up by eliminating some of the excess backcourt for the long term good of the team. The one championship is worth it for every team that wins, even if they suck within two years, like Miami did. After all, Abe wanted us to go all in for one championship run and though the team isn't positioned for long term titles, it has the talent (though not the ability) to go that far with a little luck on their side.

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

not yet, Lets try to get a backup PF next seson and see wht happens..we cant break it up YET!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry man, don't got time to read it. Wizards should play Epic Vale more, that's the problem, hahaha. That boy is a beast.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 pm

that boy is lazy
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 pm

gil and shaq on the same team? helllll noooo! the league already told the cavs to keep shaq away from gilbert
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 7:46 pm

V wrote:
gil and shaq on the same team? helllll noooo! the league already told the cavs to keep shaq away from gilbert

Was that for real?

Well, if Shaq and Gil get to share the ball, then LeBron and DeShawn get to be backcourt partners. They'll be BFF's in a couple seasons if this plan plays out..

Yes I would like to see the team win now and get into the playoffs and hopefully advance. But even then, the inevitable of having to blow it up will arise.
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 pm

No offense, but Wiz are underachieving by far this season. They've shown improvement over last year but not nearly as much as they should be.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 pm

thewiz06 wrote:
V wrote:

Was that for real?

Well, if Shaq and Gil get to share the ball, then LeBron and DeShawn get to be backcourt partners. They'll be BFF's in a couple seasons if this plan plays out..

Yes I would like to see the team win now and get into the playoffs and hopefully advance. But even then, the inevitable of having to blow it up will arise.
'

thats what word on the streets is:http://www.ngngsports.com/2009/11/shaq-and-gilbert-arenas-ordered-to-stay.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 7:56 pm

don't mess w/ this dude, hahaha

My Conclusion on the Wizards Javale-mcgee-is-wolverine
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Khai (JJ for ROY) wrote:
No offense, but Wiz are underachieving by far this season. They've shown improvement over last year but not nearly as much as they should be.

Khai, it's not hard to improve over last year. At this point, they were 4-17 last season, so we're only 3 games better than last year. We'd win 26 games for the year if we continue at this rate. It's one word. PITIFUL. On paper, duh, we should be a Top 8 team at least, but there's no chemistry on offense, and the free throw shooting is almost as bad as Shaq's.

Okay Visa, the trade to Cleveland to get Shaq may be off the books until Gil cools down. Looks like Gil has been "Shaqed up" this season...

Do you have a you tube of Gilby or Shaq saying something about this? The link you said is talking about it, but I can't see anything on youtube...

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 pm

I heard the league made them take it down.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

V wrote:
I heard the league made them take it down.

Wouldn't be surprised. So far, only the African American version of TMZ is raving about it. I don't think TMZ played too much on it though I think it was mentioned.

Another great video:
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 8:34 am

So far, despite the Wizards winning against Fruit City last night, this is still the play of the season.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 2:11 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-091218

Hollinger agrees with me, but then again, he's a known Wizard hater.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 2:22 pm

LOL. Why is the Ray Allen dunk the play of the season?
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 pm

It shows how good our team is. Even when we think we're good. We're not. Ray looked like he was going to do a layup when Blatche was around him, but instead Ray kept elevating and his layup was above the rim
Back to top Go down
3-peat
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
3-peat

Male Posts : 14345

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Im going to read this later, but for now they better win tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.justin.tv/kobefanz/profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:34 am

Wizards are really undercheaving.Sorry guys
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Greg Oden-Get well!!!!!!! wrote:
Wizards are really undercheaving.Sorry guys

I think this is just the team they have, playoff capable, playoff ready as individuals, but not as a team. They won yesterday, but this was vs. the Sixers, who are even more out of place with the Princeton than the Wizards are with the offense they have.
Back to top Go down
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Wizards won't make the playoffs imo. Not enough team chemistry, not good enough coaching, and Gilbert Arenas jacks jumper after jumper after jumper...as opposed to setting up his teammates.
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:14 pm

If the wizards miss the playoffs i'll rape my guinea pig..in other words wizards will make the playoffs
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:14 pm

That poor, poor guinea pig D:
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 1:33 pm

VISA wrote:

*CROSSES FINGERS FOR IT TO HAPPEN*
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 7:28 pm

Chosen One wrote:
VISA wrote:

*CROSSES FINGERS FOR IT TO HAPPEN*

It will happen if we suck and Cleveland goes all in for a LeBron, Caron, Antawn Big Three, or a Fab Four with Mo Williams. Shaq would likely be released soon after coming to DC if Gil still hates him.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 am

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2009/12/wizards-9-17-at-bucks-12-14.html

Well I know the Wizards won again, but still, to recap the last game against Philly, Saunders benched the entire starting lineup after four minutes into the third quarter when they once again played like garbage. The entire crowd was cheering when the mass substitution was made, while Jamison kicks an ad when he sits back on the bench, like the fruit tray he destroyed. I hope we don't have to see this type of benching when they play the "big time" teams, though at least the starters got the message, I hope. I don't remember him doing this in Detroit and Minny, but this definitely isn't characteristic of a coach who is afraid to confront players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Conclusion on the Wizards   My Conclusion on the Wizards Empty

Back to top Go down

My Conclusion on the Wizards
Page 1 of 1