Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?

Go down 
+5
Chosen One
Darko
EM:)
Tar Heel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tar Heel
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Tar Heel

Male Posts : 5845

Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? Empty
PostSubject: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 2:52 pm

I'm curious, because I thought it was a bad deal for the Cavs, though I understood their reasoning. However, I've only really been able to see the Cavs play the Celtics on opening night, so I'm largely in the dark about how his play has affected them. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Male Posts : 6319

Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 pm

Seriously, Shaquille O'Neal deserved his All-Star spot last season in PHX. The rejuvenated O'Neal posted a solid line of 17.8 PPG, 8.4 RPG, 60.9 FG%, 11.2 FGA at age 36 mind have you. However, this season the 37 year old C that has captivated NBA fans for a career that spans nearly 2 decades with his sheer dominant presence and power, is obviously not what he used to be. Even if he is and has a lot left in the tank his acquisition really hasn't helped Cleveland all that much and his stats are indicative of that. That is why if he as so much makes the All-Star team on his legacy alone leaving behind a worthy All-Star caliber player, like David Lee in the dust then I would be beside myself in anger.

If anything Shaq's acquisition has made Cleveland obviosly vulnerable to run n gun teams. Cleveland is a lot slower than what they were before. Shaq's presence clogs the middle, which makes it difficult for James to finish in the paint (something he's always done well). His presence may work against DH12 in the paint, but that remains to be seen. The fact of the matter is that the way it looks now Shaq's presence won't get Cleveland over the hump against teams that fit the mold of a running style.
Back to top Go down
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie

Male Posts : 1275

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:19 pm

I honestluy have no problem with shaq. He is the one who can get us through the plyoffs. The teams Cleveland lost were mainly young and fast teams. In the playoffs we are going to meet teams with veterans and defensive players. He is a serious threat because he can get anybody in an early foul trouble.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 3:57 pm

No,he's good for them.His game will be shown in the playoffs most
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

So far shaq hasnt been playing that well, he is bricking too many layups

At least he is better than Z Smile
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 8:16 pm

The Cavs are 15-7, maybe not quite where they want to be, but they're in good hands right now.

Yes, Shaq is a good pickup. You'll need his savvy in the playoffs. A big man is supposed to clog the lane anyway, so that can't possibly make LeBron look worse. I think only LeBron himself can make himself look worse. Anyone who wants to blame Shaq only 25% of the way into the season is just making an excuse as to why they are 15-7 instead of 22-0. LeBron is averaging 8.2 dimes this year, a CAREER HIGH, and he's been passing the love his entire career averaging at least 6 apg every year except his first when he was just under it by a tad.

I would kill for a 15-7 Wizards start right now, and we're better than last year at least, to say the least... Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? Icon_pale
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
No Longer DEAD
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
No Longer DEAD

Male Posts : 5078

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Shaq has been a good pickup, certainly better than Ben Wallace/Pavlovic were last year, but he hasn't lived up to all the hype he got with playing alongside LeBron. Can't blame him though, he's 37.
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Maybe it's just me, but Shaq doesn't look as happy or spry as he did last year.

I'm curious to how well the chemistry is between LeBron and O'neal.

Ultimately the Cavs made this move to counter Dwight Howard and the Celtics, Spurs and Lakers frontline down the line.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Nick C wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but Shaq doesn't look as happy or spry as he did last year.

its the cold weather man... He has played in Orlando, Miami, L.A. and Arizona.... the cold weather is getting to him Razz
Back to top Go down
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 pm

He is bricking easy layups and IMO he isnt getting alot of minutes
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Those are both valid points.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 2:33 am

tbh, i dont think shaq is helping or hurting the Cavs.

i think Anthony Parker is having a bigger impact on the team... in a not so good way.

Shaq missed a few games this year and the Cavs looked fine without him. With him, they look the same. The only reason why they got him was because Howard owned them in the Playoffs. But now, athletic centers that can shoot from the outside are killing Shaq. So the Cavs are almost in the same position
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 10:53 am

He's actually doing good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?   Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland? Empty

Back to top Go down

Based on the season so far, has Shaq been a good acquisition for Cleveland?
Page 1 of 1