Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones.. Empty
PostSubject: Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones..   Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones.. EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:00 pm

More happened in the world of women's hoops besides a Russian team owner getting Godfathered, and seeing Brittney dunk. Here are some notable highlights besides Griner and Delle Donne:

1. The Dayton Flyers got into the Top 25 for the first time in school history. They beat Michigan State and Purdue, two of the Big Ten powers to get their way in there.
2. Not much surprise here, but Connecticut remains the Top Dogs. It's not just that they are winning every game, but so far they average 90 ppg and only allow 43 ppg. You can say that UConn is playing just mid major fluff right now (they have), but they did play Texas, which is supposed to hit its renaissance this year, they played Richmond, an A-10 power (not ranked, unlike Dayton and Xavier, but still a power), and also Clemson of the ACC (though Clemson isn't a conference power). No one scored more than 60 pts yet on this team... Will this continue when they play Stanford and Duke as the year progresses?
3. This week, on Thursday, Duke will play Ohio State in a match of Top 15 powers. I am skeptical on the Bucks, but then again, it's not like Duke has been super like it was a few years ago.. Also, Cal and UNC will play in another notable match this week.
4. This isn't really a college related post, but it is women's basketball related.

Marion Jones, the former Olympic sprinter and gold medalist (well not anymore because she was on the roids) is now out of jail, and is considering making her WNBA debut and was training with the San Antonio Silver Stars' staff. She was also drafted in 2003 by the Phoenix Mercury but never played for them obviously because of her track career. If you don't know much about Jones as a hoops player, she was a standout player and starting PG for the North Carolina Tar Heels and won a national championship in the 1993-94 season (her freshman year) with Charlotte Smith-Taylor. Since she has been away from sports, esp. hoops for awhile, I wonder how good she still is at basketball. I guess her athleticism is still there, because after all, she was a world class sprinter, even without the PED's and roids, so she could be a nasty fast breaker. However, how good is her shot after 12 years away from the game? If she's in SA, she plays under Becky Hammon, who's a hell of a PG in her own right, and will steal almost all the minutes anyway... Jones is 34 years old, past the prime of most WNBA players, but then again, she hasn't had 12-13 years of year round basketball played on her knees, so she should be more like a 28-30 year old player, knee-wise... Good luck to her.

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4701944
http://www.wnba.com/draft2003/draft_board.html
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones..   Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones.. EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 9:40 am

I guess Marion Jones is now an afterthought?
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ

Women's College Basketball Roundup Thanksgiving weekend to now plus Marion Jones..
Page 1 of 1