Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Wizard's owner dies....

Go down 
+11
Chris
Straight Edge Bluntness
BNB
brownie13
cbi
OhYouMadCuzImStylinOnYa?!
Saeed
Rush
Nick C
lozan :)
YS
15 posters
AuthorMessage
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

Wizard's owner dies.... Empty
PostSubject: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Back to top Go down
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran

Female Posts : 5260

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Wow, nothing seems to be going right for the Wiz =[

R.I.P
Abe Pollin
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm

That's sad news. Abe Pollin has been a part of the NBA since as far back as I can remember. He was the rare owner that all his players knew and cared for and vise versa.

85 years is a good long life, he accomplished a lot as an owner... even winning it all in '78.

Crazy... I share the same birth-date as Abe... Born Dec. 3, 1923.

The Dec. 3rd part... just for you smart-asses out there.

R.I.P.
Abe Polin
Back to top Go down
Rush
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Rush

Male Posts : 3758

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Rest In Peace.
Back to top Go down
Saeed
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Saeed

Male Posts : 8780

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:54 pm

HOLY SHIT NICK C WAS BORN IN '23!?

Nah.

But that must stink for the Wizards and their fans. I know he's been a great owner in his career, and they love him.
Back to top Go down
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 11937

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:15 pm

"Pollin suffered from progressive supranuclear palsy, a rare brain disorder impairs movement and balance."

sounds VERY painful.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Damn it makes it even more upsetting that not all that long ago, he said he woldn't give up ownership of the Wizards until they win it all again. D:
RIP Pollin
Back to top Go down
brownie13
NBA Legend
NBA Legend

Male Posts : 20670

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Abe Pollin was a hell of an owner. He lasted 45 years with the Wizards, the longest tenure of any owner in the NBA. From what I know of him, everybody loved the guy. Sad to see him go out on some pretty pathetic set of teams.

R.I.P. Abe.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:46 pm

that sucks. @ why he died Neutral

R.I.P
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Eeek.
That is unfortunate to hear.
Wow, this franchise sure has it ups and downs this season so far...
Back to top Go down
Chris
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Chris

Male Posts : 5401

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 pm

R.I.P
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 11:51 pm

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/11/24/20091124_stern_pollin.nba/

Do this again for DC! Time to go on a 10 win tear...

For now, it looks like Irene Pollin will continue to own the majority stake of the team, like Karen Davidson still owns the Pistons, and Virginia McCaskey owns the Chicago Bears (she was the daughter of George Halas and actually wasn't supposed to get the team, because it was supposed to go to her older brother, who died before her dad). If she doesn't, she is likely going to give enough to Lincoln Holdings, which own the Caps and the Mystics, both well run organizations which are making money and keeping fans relatively happy, so that Lincoln Holdings owns all of the Wizards, which still means that the team will be in good hands. The only thing I don't want is Dan Snyder to buy the Wizards, because I will stop buying season tickets the day he buys the team.

Personally, I hope Mr. Pollin goes up to the heavens. I also hope that in his last days that he didn't have to hear the bickering about Gilby v. Caron, Antawn's throwing of the fruit tray, and seeing all these losses.
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 am

Okay, update on Wizards ownership:

Ted Leonsis is intent on buying the rest of the Wizards, Ticketmaster DC, and the Verizon Center after Mr. Pollin's death. After a 10 year hiatus with the NHL and a five year hiatus with the WNBA, we have come to full circle, as the Wiz, Caps, and Mystics will soon be all owned by the same group. This is a good thing when this happens as stated before, because Leonsis knows how to keep fans happy like Mr. Pollin... Hopefully they make it happen so Leonsis owns the team, because we DON'T WANT DAN SNYDER!

But as stated before, RIP Abe Pollin, and kudos to the team for holding onto victory against Philly!

EDIT: Remember this guys? The Terrific Trio of Pollin, Clinton, and MJ! Also they zoomed out to show the successor-to-be.
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/11/24/20091124_pollin_moment.nba/

Last edited by thewiz06 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:23 am

Brighter. wrote:
"Pollin suffered from progressive supranuclear palsy, a rare brain disorder impairs movement and balance."

sounds VERY painful.

R.I.P.

From what we've heard from the news over last few years, the disease isn't particularly painful and it doesn't necessarily kill him or make him more susceptible to other things besides falls and double vision (he did break his pelvis 3 years ago or so. The condition limited his movement over time to the point where he was in a wheelchair and looked quite bad, but health wise he was relatively fine last few years when we knew he had the disease, and he may have died of something like the flu, pneumonia, etc., or even old age, but having the condition he has doesn't make life easier.
Back to top Go down
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar

Female Posts : 11937

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:36 am

thewiz06 wrote:
Brighter. wrote:

sounds VERY painful.

R.I.P.

From what we've heard from the news over last few years, the disease isn't particularly painful and it doesn't necessarily kill him or make him more susceptible to other things besides falls and double vision (he did break his pelvis 3 years ago or so. The condition limited his movement over time to the point where he was in a wheelchair and looked quite bad, but health wise he was relatively fine last few years when we knew he had the disease, and he may have died of something like the flu, pneumonia, etc., or even old age, but having the condition he has doesn't make life easier.

Oh I see. It must be frustrating to have little control over your movements, but I'm glad that it didn't take a toll on his health. He was quite old so I imagine that it was something like the flu or pneumonia that hurt him in the end, as you mentioned. I also read that he had heart surgery so it might have been heart failure? Due to his old age, maybe it was something he could no longer fight.

Its uplifting that the Wizards are now more determined to bring a Title to Washington to honor him.
Back to top Go down
3-peat
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
3-peat

Male Posts : 14345

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 6:06 am

R.I.P Abe....he sounds like a loyal owner and it's sad for him to leave. Hope the Wiz can pick up the slack and win some games in his honour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.justin.tv/kobefanz/profile
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 am

R.I.P Abe...
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:21 am

It's weird, with me being pretty much a Wizards hater and all, but if the wizards can win a chip over the Cavs I would be fine with it. Lol.

I hate being a sensitive, overly nice person.. lmao
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:29 pm

CBI wrote:
It's weird, with me being pretty much a Wizards hater and all, but if the wizards can win a chip over the Cavs I would be fine with it. Lol.

I hate being a sensitive, overly nice person.. lmao

I don't think even the Cavs fans will laugh about the death of Abe Pollin.

CBI, that signature pic is just a classic...

His "girlfriend" has a penis.
Back to top Go down
Koolish
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Koolish

Female Posts : 2765

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Sad

Thats saddd..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wizard's owner dies....   Wizard's owner dies.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Wizard's owner dies....
Page 1 of 1