Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Explain why bill russel was so great

Go down 
+7
BNB
FC
Fox News
Raza
Darko
Abdu
John14
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

Male Posts : 3251

Explain why bill russel was so great Empty
PostSubject: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Other than using his rings.I want to know what makes him so good,He had the BEST team in the league,plays at his caliber like Bob Cousy..21-8-6.Yes his defence was the best..but other than that..what makes him to be in the top 10.

NOTE:
Im not saying he is not good.im just trying to learn.
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:47 pm

* Waits for Darko *
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

Male Posts : 14143

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Sexy Boy wrote:
* Waits for Darko *

I'm here! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Well,i will start

Bill Russell was arguably the best defensive player.He revolutionized the defensive concepts in the league,mastered the physiology to be feared presence inside,to make you think twice when attacking the basket.He also learnt 3 things to be terrific shot blocker:timing,to not foul the shooter and to keep his team in possession which earned him a lot of reputation

By playing defense,he succeed to create many fast brakes for Boston off his outlets passes to Cousy and anyone else.He was a beast on the glass,who holds the all time record in most boards per game and total during the Finals and Playoffs,duo to nice positioning and will to do anything just to win.

On offense,he wasn't as bad as he's claimed to be.Sure,15-16 points on 45% FG is bad for a center,but he contributed with his passing.He threw nice outlet passes,from the post and in many other ways because since Cousy's retirement,the Celtics offense lacked a true point and the ball went through him on every possession

Russell's Assists Averages After Cousy Retired

1963-64: 4.7

1964-65: 5.3

1965-66: 4.8

1966-67: 5.8

1967-68: 4.6

1968-69: 4.9

That's not bad at all and that indicates that he was prolific passing center,right there with the likes of Walton,Unseld and so on.He was also pretty damn clutch,almost way to much.In the most important games,he walked away with performances like 30 points/40 boards.He set the Finals record in total rebounds (40) twice when they needed him most.He always was on a whole new level during the playoffs,that his entire statistics went to a further level.

Here are some defining moments of his career

Game 7, 1957 Finals: Russell scores 19 points and grabs 32 rebounds. To help carry his Celtics to a Championship in his first rookie season.

Game 7, 1960 Finals: Russell scores 22 points and rebounds 35 in a win for the Hawks.

Game 7, 1962 Eastern Finals: Wilt averaged 50 points this season. Russell stopped him from getting anywhere near that. Wilt finished with 22, Russell scored 19 and the Celtics won the game.

Game 7, 1962 Finals: Russell scores 30 points, grabs a 44 rebounds in an overtime win over the Lakers.

Game 7, 1965 Eastern Finals: Russell scores 15 points, grabs 29 rebounds, and dishes out 9 assists.

Game 7, 1966 Finals: Celtics beat the Lakers in a nail biter. Russell scored 25 points and 32 rebounds

Game 7, 1968 Eastern Finals: Russell scores 12 points, but holds the arch rival, Wilt to only 14 points in the same game!

You can throw in the game in which he held Wilt to 8 points as well..He possessed high IQs who had a book on everyone and it was impossible to do a same move twice on him.He was pretty athletic too,who was former world champion in high jumping,was running pretty fast and so on.

He used that athleticism and speed combined his IQ to excel at defense.He was a nice leader who led the aging and injured Boston Celtics to 2 championships as a player-coach.I think he was arguably the finest leader ever

In summary,he chose his role on the team and was effective player,who came out big in the games when needed most like 10-0 in Game 7 of the playoffs and 16/18-0 when facing eliminations while being 11-0 in the Finals.

He's the biggest winner in the league's history,can be argued for being the top defender, rebounder,center,player and leader ever.However,he was limited in offense and not capable to score 20-30 points consistently and the fact that he was surrounded with good supporting cast.

That's it pretty much.I hope i wasn't bias in this.For me,i'm always been an admirer of Bill's impact on the game,his career and dominance.He proved that you can be a star despite not being a high scorer while winning dozens of them

Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

This is pretty much what i know about Bill Russell.

Here's a link where you can find out more about Russell

http://www.nba.com/history/players/russell_bio.html

That's actually a place where you can find about every great player in the league's history.I did that and i'm too happy for that.Those guys surely know how to write a biography on a legend. There's pretty much everything from Michael Jordan,to the likes of Unseld and so on.

You can always ask Nick,he explains well and search on Internet,you will find out many things if you're willing to gain knowledge on this one.You can ask on Y/A,there are 3-5 users that know about this too.

Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

Male Posts : 12079

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 pm

he has gud D he best defendir ever because defense good
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Hahahaha

Raza,you sure know how to make people laugh
Back to top Go down
Abdu
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Abdu

Male Posts : 2595

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Raza wrote:
he has gud D he best defendir ever because defense good

ADN HE HAV 11 RiNG
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 12:09 am

He's not. As far as being a pioneer he gets alot of respect..but as a basketball player..great in his time but..yeh
Back to top Go down
FC
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
FC

Male Posts : 822

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 am

10 for 10 in game 7's

averaged almost 20 ppg and 30rpg in those games.
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks Darko!

Ill be going through that site,when I get the time.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

his offense was just TERRIBLE..
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Sure,but not as people think it is.Check the first numbers that i posted.Sure,it might not be of the quality of Shaq,Hakeem or any other,but still,he's one of the game's finest passing centers who ranked in the top 10 couple of times.
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 pm

he was a horrible free throw shooter and his FG% was just awful for a big man.. esp. since he played in an era that didn't have as many dominant big man as the eras Hakeem, Shaq, Kareem, etc. played in... which also kinda makes his defense seem less impressive IMO

Last edited by Bulls N' Bears on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Bulls N' Bears wrote:
he was a horrible free throw shooter and his FG% was just awful for a big man.. esp. since he played in an era that didn't has as many dominant big man as the eras Hakeem, Shaq, Kareem, etc. played in... which also kinda makes his defense seem less impressive IMO

OMG STFU HE AVERAGED 10,000 REBOUNDS A GAME AND HAD A LOT OF RINGS STFU HE LOCKED DOWN WILT TO 37 POINTS A GAME STFU HATER STFU
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Raza wrote:
Bulls N' Bears wrote:
he was a horrible free throw shooter and his FG% was just awful for a big man.. esp. since he played in an era that didn't has as many dominant big man as the eras Hakeem, Shaq, Kareem, etc. played in... which also kinda makes his defense seem less impressive IMO

OMG STFU HE AVERAGED 10,000 REBOUNDS A GAME AND HAD A LOT OF RINGS STFU HE LOCKED DOWN WILT TO 37 POINTS A GAME STFU HATER STFU

if he's not getting at least 15 rebounds, I don't wanna hear about him.
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Bulls N' Bears wrote:
he was a horrible free throw shooter and his FG% was just awful for a big man.. esp. since he played in an era that didn't have as many dominant big man as the eras Hakeem, Shaq, Kareem, etc. played in... which also kinda makes his defense seem less impressive IMO

I said his offense wasn't very good,but still a lot better on the first look.Sure,that Field Goal percent is ugly for a big man and was a bad free throw shooter (,so were Shaq and Wilt who were worse) but still,he dished out a lot of assists for a big man.

But what's really interesting,is the fact when he was in a must win position he scored nearly 20 points a game and hell,had once 14-17 from the free throw line...
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 am

Raza wrote:
Bulls N' Bears wrote:

WTF,is wrong with you,i don't type as nearly as bad as i use to,plus allen iverson sucks.
Back to top Go down
Raza
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Raza

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 am

John wrote:
WTF,is wrong with you,i don't type as nearly as bad as i use to,plus allen iverson sucks.

I don't see how my post had anything to do with you..

Last edited by Raza on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 am

and where did the allen iverson part come from?
Back to top Go down
Darko
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Darko

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 am

SLW>MLK wrote:

+1
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:17 pm

LOL john dumbass.
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Raza wrote:
John wrote:

You pretend to type bad,cause you think that is how i type
Back to top Go down
John14
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
John14

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 pm

SLW>MLK wrote:

I dont know,but it sure made me feel bad
Back to top Go down
YS
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
YS

Male Posts : 12288

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 pm

John wrote:
Raza wrote:
John wrote:

You pretend to type bad,cause you think that is how i type

He was mocking darko..fool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explain why bill russel was so great   Explain why bill russel was so great Empty

Back to top Go down

Explain why bill russel was so great
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next