Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

Male Posts : 8873

People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion Empty
PostSubject: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 pm

I dont generalize

to me saying "most,or alot" of a certain population is not a generaliztion. Just because I say most and alot are a certain way doesnt mean you are a part of the majority, and the minority is not apart of the majority. I never feel anything is a generalization if people say "most and alot" because that doesnt mean and I know Im not a part of the majority.

To me unless you say "all or every" than it is not a generalization.
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 pm

You're saying that "it means to you'"

so we all have diffeant meanings.

So some people DO understand the meaning.. it's that YOU don't understand the meaning. And vise versa.

Reverse Psycholigy. WHAT!?
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:23 pm

haha I love that saying

but people claim Ive been generalizing too much

saying "most or alot or many" is not a generalization. So if I say that know Im not generalizing and theres a chance you are not apart of the majority
Back to top Go down
cbi
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
cbi

Male Posts : 18953

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:25 pm

King Of NJ wrote:

Love movies just suck. To me theyre horrible and nothing is good about them
you do not say "most" or "alot" or "many".. you just said all suck.
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

Female Posts : 10793

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Actually, I find when you use "most or alot" is essentially a generalization.
To further elaborate, if you say a lot/most of basketball fans are Celtics fans; that is pretty much a generalization since "alot/most" assumes that the majority or basketball fans are Celtics fans.
This is inaccurate in the sense that you did not actually look up statistics that indicate the percentage of Celtics fans or actually conduct your own survey of different basketball fans' favourite teams.
Therefore, I prefer to use the word "some" as an alternative since it doesn't assume that a majority or a minority of people - but just accounts for some of the population.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 pm

The love movies thing was a generalization I did admit

but most is anything about 50 % in my opinion. even 55% which means 45% of the population isnt that way. Its an educated guess so its not a generalization.

and alot could mean any number. It could mean only 10% even so that would mea 90% are different.

If I say some than people would say that means most arent thats why I say alot,many,and most
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Well, I guess it depends on the usage on most - when you are very confident you are accurate in making that statement. For instance, if I say that most Aboriginal peoples are victims of racism - then what would be an educated statement since there are statistics out there that can easily prove this.

On the other hand, if I say most people in Vancouver are homosexual - that would obviously be an uneducated statement since there is nothing that can back this statement up.
Back to top Go down
King Of NJ
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
King Of NJ

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:38 pm

that is true. I guess Ill use some more now instead of most so people wont accuse me of generalizing.

I do say some but not all and people still say its a generalization. That gets me annoyed
Back to top Go down
Straight Edge Bluntness
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
Straight Edge Bluntness

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

If people get angry because you use "some", then that is somewhat ridiculous. I would assume that "some" is preferable to "most", haha.

Sorry if I seem a little nit-picky in my statements; it is just that proper word usage was engrained into my brain since I entered university. It was imperative that I learned that in order to do well on my essays so now it has become a part of me, hehe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion   People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion Empty

Back to top Go down

People seem to not understand the meaning of generaliztion
Page 1 of 1