Real Basketball Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NBA.comNBA.com  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Should the NBA Draft be modified?

Go down 
+2
Chosen One
wallshingtonwizard
6 posters

Should the NBA Draft be modified in some form so bad teams can get two lottery picks?
Yes
Should the NBA Draft be modified? Vote_lcap67%Should the NBA Draft be modified? Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
No
Should the NBA Draft be modified? Vote_lcap33%Should the NBA Draft be modified? Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

Male Posts : 3669

Should the NBA Draft be modified? Empty
PostSubject: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:44 pm

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/load-o-bull/2011/02/nbpa-proposes-lottery-teams-get-two-first-round-draft-picks.html#ixzz1EfDfVOtb

The Players Union last week made their first major proposal that could shake up things to come in the NBA. The players want to keep the soft cap, want max salaries to increase, and to take talents to South Beach on a whim. But they also believe that the quickest way to turn doormat teams into contenders is through the draft. In addition, instead of having a lottery team get one draft pick in the first round, and one more pick in the second round, the teams that fail to get to the playoffs will get TWO picks for the first round. Teams with the best regular season records get no picks..

I kind of agree that perhaps teams that are doormats should get two picks in the first round, but to me, giving every non-playoff team two picks in the first round makes this process an incentive for teams near the 8 seed for the playoffs possibly tank their seasons to get two picks. I propose a modification.

65 PICKS IN THE NBA DRAFT. There will be 35 picks in the 1st round, and 30 picks in the 2nd round.

Picks 1-5 in the first round will be handed out to 5 teams which are chosen through a lottery process. A special provision can be added to the CBA and NBA rules so that these five picks cannot be traded until the respective teams draft a player with these picks given how valuable a 1st - 5th pick is in each NBA draft.

Picks 6-35 in the first round will be given to teams in order of regular season record. The team with the worst regular season record gets the 6th pick, the team with the second worst record gets the 7th pick, and so forth.

Picks 36-65 are second round picks, and will be handed to team in order of regular season record. The team with the worst regular season record gets the 36th pick, and the team with the best regular season record gets the 65th pick.

PROS:

1. Good chance that really bad teams can get two Top 10 Draft picks. If the worst team doesn't win any lottery pick, it still is guaranteed the 6th pick, who will in all likelihood still be a promising and contributing NBA player
  2. Teams that make the playoffs still have an opportunity to draft a young player who is worthy of making an NBA roster.

CONS

1. A team with the worst regular season record still may fail to get one of the top five picks, and
  2. Trades involving draft picks may not be valued as highly when it involves a team with a bad regular season record, because even if that team wins a lottery pick being picks 1-5, that pick can never be traded until after a player has been selected by the original team.
Back to top Go down
http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=ApwXXkhqyEPmxsEWWTaF3zZ
Chosen One
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
Chosen One

Male Posts : 3316

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 8:28 pm

As a Cavs fan...Im all for bad teams getting more picks. I mean most of the bad teams are in low desirable places compared to big markets in LA, Boston, Orlando, Miami, New York, etc. That being said free agency is pretty much a bust for teams like the Cavs, Kings, Timberwolves, etc.

Secondly this will finally make the league more competitive as we definately wont see the same teams in the bottom every year

Thirdly.......most college players are better off in bad teams as it gives them a chance to get PT which is huge in their development. One major example of this was the Cavs last year. They were so motivated to go for the championship they brought in as much vets as they can and pretty much made guys like Danny Green, Darnell Jackson bench warmers while limiting the minutes Hickson got.....and this season we are actually playing our rookies and they are surprisingly really good
Back to top Go down
Fox News
NBA Legend
NBA Legend
Fox News

Male Posts : 17831

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't like it. Teams like the celtics will be screwed. there big 3 is done..but they have one of the best records so they don't get a pick. And a team like the thunder who is close but needs that 1 little piece,what if they think they could acquire him in the draft? reward a team because there worse and punish a team because there good? Maybe in terms of changing up dominance every few years this would be good but I don't think its fair...i'm sure SRF will absolutely adore this idea though Wink
Back to top Go down
BNB
NBA Superstar
NBA Superstar
BNB

Male Posts : 14149

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 8:52 pm

It should be like the NFL draft.

The NBA should also have a hard cap like the NFL.

My opinion of course...

Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:05 pm

I think most of us agree with a hard minimum and maximum cap. This is perhaps another way to even out the playing field in the NBA by adding a twist proposed by the players union. I don't think a team should be penalized draft picks for making the playoffs, but don't think bad teams should be rewarded either, so this is a compromise of sorts.
Back to top Go down
wallshingtonwizard
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
wallshingtonwizard

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Chosen One wrote:
As a Cavs fan...Im all for bad teams getting more picks. I mean most of the bad teams are in low desirable places compared to big markets in LA, Boston, Orlando, Miami, New York, etc. That being said free agency is pretty much a bust for teams like the Cavs, Kings, Timberwolves, etc.

San Francisco and Washington DC are big markets, but they can't attract star players. With DC in particular, there are many great players from the metro area but they don't want to play for the Wizards as free agents.. San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland was where Jason Kidd is from and he never said that he wanted to be a Warrior. I guess with these two teams, they are considered to be "can't do right" franchises, and that's what overrides any sexiness the city provides. SF is a warm and temperate climate though it's earthquake prone. DC is a temperate city as well that is the most affluent place in the country after NYC and LA.

Chosen One wrote:

Secondly this will finally make the league more competitive as we definately wont see the same teams in the bottom every year
Back to top Go down
SO6P [KING]
NBA Rookie
NBA Rookie
SO6P [KING]

Male Posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm

We should go by record!
Back to top Go down
Nick C
NBA Veteran
NBA Veteran
Nick C

Male Posts : 5894

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with the draft. It's a guessing game not a guarantee.

There are a lot of high draft players that end up being busts.

Darko, Olawakandi, Brown, Morrison, Oden, Joe Smith... just to name some recent picks. I haven't put Evan Turner in the mix, but as of now he wasn't worth the #2 pick.

Also, by giving the worst teams two number one picks you face two things...

1. What if the best player on a good team is injured for the season, Like David Robinson, was which got them Tim Duncan. They were a 50+ win team that got the #1 overall pick.

Now a good team that lost their best player would get two lottery picks? That makes no sense. It's a completely unfair advantage.

2. Say both draft picks are promising or great. A team would have to give them contracts and try to maintain the rest of the existing roster. Say 1 or two of the players didn't develop after three years or are not franchise players then what? You have two players that no one wants.

I still like the idea of more draft rounds. I think that would be great.

Honestly I think the NBA should adopt a franchise player tag. So it makes it harder for a player to leave a team because they have the most money to offer without it counting against the salary cap. Giving teams the ability to sign free agents and to sign and trade players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should the NBA Draft be modified?   Should the NBA Draft be modified? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should the NBA Draft be modified?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Basketball Talk :: General NBA Talk :: General NBA-
Jump to: